Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
movie thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What's the rationale behind all those zoom shots? Was the cinematographer someone who worked with those Japanese super hero tokusatsu series? Not complaining, mind you, but it's just something I noticed a lot.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I was expecting a much more picaresque journey so maybe we didnt need 40 minutes in the brothel. big fan of the the tilt shift environments though

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I agree with everyone re: the acting and direction, but I think the movie took a different, darker direction in the last third or so than most everyone else did. For example, I didn't see the brothel interlude as the beginning of Bella's truly coming into her own, but her trading manipulations and exploitations under the guise of false enlightenment. Madam Swiney is, in her own way, every bit as exploitative and commanding as the men in Bella's life have been, and there's a bitter irony in her bold declaration to Duncan that she "owns her own means of production" when she's paying much of her profits to a brothel mistress. She performs therapy for her clients to make them better lovers, but is a gilded sexual transaction any less negotiated on patriarchal, misogynistic premises?

And in the denouement, after declaring that she wishes to become a doctor and help people, her first patient is General Alfie, her mother's husband whose sadism drove her to suicide and who is so cruel and capricious with his house staff that he must carry a gun at all times to forestall revolt. She could forgive and heal him, embracing the role of doctor as society conceives it, or kill him and become a healer of society, cutting out a horrible cancer of a person who doesn't deserve his wretched life. Instead she performs an act of poetic justice that, while narratively satisfying, also cements her role as her father's daughter, defining herself by her traumatic past and resolving to continue inflicting that trauma onward. This is a triumphant act to her but it is not a triumphant act for her, the point at which she resolutely becomes the true victim of the cycle of pain that created her.

I'm not saying any of this makes the movie bad, by any means, I just didn't see it in the same jubilant light of breaking free of victimhood that it seems is the prevailing opinion. In fact, I think it makes the social satire all the more biting and salient.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Putting a goat brain in in Alfie's head is much more cinematic than having Bella poison him or shoot him in the head or whatever. There's no fundamental difference between what she did and just killing him. The cancer's cut out either way.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's more than just cinematic, that particular method clearly means something in this context, it's a deliberate choice from both Doylist and Watsonian perspectives. It's so fundamental.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

McSpanky posted:

It's more than just cinematic, that particular method clearly means something in this context, it's a deliberate choice from both Doylist and Watsonian perspectives. It's so fundamental.
It's a reference to The Lobster!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Martman posted:

It's a reference to The Lobster!

Reference or not, it's clear that Yorgos simply likes it when the imaginary boundary between weird lil freak people and weird lil freak animals is obliterated

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Having just finished the book, I'm in two minds about the ending. I can't imagine the back half of the written version translating to film in a satisfying or coherent manner, but it is absolutely more thematically successful, a better story, and removes any ambiguity of the blame on the men in Bella's life that the film seems to baffle people about, somehow.

Highly recommended as much as the film.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

McSpanky posted:

it's also really funny

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished watching this, great movie but somehow despite being absolutely fascinating, I ended up splitting it over two nights. Not sure if it was something about the pacing but it somehow felt longer than Oppenheimer.

I read absolutely nothing about it so it was all a surprise. The premise, cinematography, costumes, crazy amount of sex, everything. Don't really feel like writin an essay on it but yeah good poo poo, loved movie.

live with fruit posted:

Putting a goat brain in in Alfie's head is much more cinematic than having Bella poison him or shoot him in the head or whatever. There's no fundamental difference between what she did and just killing him. The cancer's cut out either way.

Did they put his brain in the goat?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
They should've shown it if they had.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I wish they were more clear about that because otherwise all they're doing is torturing an innocent goat by putting them in a human body.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

I wish they were more clear about that because otherwise all they're doing is torturing an innocent goat by putting them in a human body.

i think the idea is that Bella is continuing the cycle of abuse she suffered at the hands of Godwin Baxter et al by engaging in pointless animal cruelty to exercise some degree of power

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

it's also really funny

It is, but it's a pretty rough chuckle

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think the idea is that Bella is continuing the cycle of abuse she suffered at the hands of Godwin Baxter et al by engaging in pointless animal cruelty to exercise some degree of power

Bella is fundamentally interested in what brings her joy regardless of what society thinks about it (which is why she's so excited at the prospect of throwing a woman overboard - regardless of the result she figures it will be pretty entertaining).

Sticking a goat brain in the General's body doesn't actually harm the General in any special way, but it does make her happy to see his body debased and humiliated in such a way, since that's what he wanted to do to her.

I also think it's OK that the movie is different from the book and carries a different message, which means it's interesting on its own merits and you can consume both and be surprised. Straight adaptations should never exist, because why adapt when you can just have the original?

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

bewilderment posted:

Sticking a goat brain in the General's body doesn't actually harm the General in any special way, but it does make her happy to see his body debased and humiliated in such a way, since that's what he wanted to do to her.

I'm pretty sure it kills the General.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Eating that grass is at least gonna gently caress up his teeth too, so it won't be good for his body.