Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Problem description:

The scrollwheel on my mouse stopped working (by which I mean scrolling didn't work, middle click worked fine. Google suggested opening it up to clean it and since it's a very old mouse, I figured this would be a good bet as it's probably filthy. I opened it up and it was! There was loads of dust and gunk in there, which I cleaned out with some compressed air. I put the mouse back together and lo and behold, the wheel scrolls again! The problem now though is that the mouse pointer won't move.

I've obviously hosed something up in putting it back together, but before I buy a new mouse is there a way to check if it's something obvious? The red light turns on but I guess the sensor isn't registering it. All the buttons and the scrollwheel work fine.

Attempted fixes:

Tried randomly jiggling the bit of the mouse that the LED light comes from, but there's little to no play here so I doubt this is doing anything. Looked at various pictures/youtube videos of the mouse having been taken apart to see if there are any obvious visual clues, but could find none. The ribbon cable leading to this part is twisted and wedged underneath which I thought might be the problem, but looking at other mice online it seems they're all like this.

System specs: Logitech MX518, wired USB.
I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Edit: forgot to mention - I tried the mouse on a different computer and the issue's the same, so it's definitely a problem with the mouse.

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It's gonna be a bad chip due to static discharge or mishandling (unlikely), a cold solder joint that was loosened upon disassembly, or even a bad data collector.

Have you any soldering stuffs or mag lenses?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
If you have a meter, test for continuity in that wedged cable?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

No I don't have a soldering iron, magnifying glass or multimeter sorry, I was hoping for something obvious like "you've unplugged the cable on the left, dipshit".

To be honest the mouse is at least 13 years old, probably more like 15-18 and a Logitech G502 is like £35 so I think I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy a new one. loving loved this mouse though.

Thanks though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Many Logitech mice have a lifetime warranty. If you contact them and give them the numbers on the bottom they may send you a new one for free.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Would it not be void now that I've opened it up? I also no longer have the receipt/proof of purchase if that would be needed.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

oh no computer posted:

Would it not be void now that I've opened it up? I also no longer have the receipt/proof of purchase if that would be needed.

Not 100% sure about that. I had one break years ago and I just called their phone number and they sent a new one out. I just read the numbers on the back of the mouse. Nothing else was needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib
Make sure your vigorous cleaning with compressed air did not blow any dust or gunk into the optical sensor (the red light). If there is a speck of dust stuck in the middle of the sensor lens, it moves along with the mouse and can confuse the sensor.

If uncertain, clean the sensor lens with e.g. a Q-Tip dipped in water. Don't use solvents, they might cause the sensor lens to fog up permanently.