Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

ObiwanSeanobi posted:

Took a ferry over to Vancouver for a Silversun Pickups show last weekend and met some cool people. Ended up on a three day hang where we talked music/listened to music, alot.

So besides the usual outlets, find cool people who listen to cool stuff. My playlist has expanded drastically. Stuff I've never heard of and never would have found, normally.

I liked their opener, Hello Mary, quite a bit. Bought their CD at the concert.

And I think that show might be my last trip to First Avenue for a while. Historic venue that's mostly lovely for spectators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObiwanSeanobi
Jun 30, 2023
Didn't catch the opener. I'll check them out.

ObiwanSeanobi fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 6, 2024

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

On Spotify checking out artist's personal playlists, or the "Appears on" section, or going down the "Fans also like" rabbit hole.

Sometimes this local station X-RAY FM has good stuff.

And as someone else mentioned, the melon. His weekly track roundup usually has one or two good songs on it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I have a subscription to Uncut magazine, and apart from things I hear on their cover CD I have a ritual of buying one album a month by an artist I haven't heard of before - rarely the Album of the Month, but more commonly something obscure. Artists I discovered that way include Weyes Blood, Volker Bertelmann (aka Hauschka), Demen and Propaganda.

BitAstronaut
Mar 7, 2024
I have really enjoyed the Qobuz blogs for music discovery. Their write-ups are fantastic and often include music as you go.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
just go on discogs and crawl through labels / co-producers / engineers etc. of records I like .. same as every year. : )

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

I listen to NTS and explore their vast back catalog of shows.

Olavi
Aug 8, 2013
I have found a lots of stuff trough RYM past few years. I don't know how to feel about the site. It feels like a metacritic for music, but somewhat better. Hard to find something truly special, but found some of my now favorite bands/artist.

How do folk feel about the site?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Olavi posted:

I have found a lots of stuff trough RYM past few years. I don't know how to feel about the site. It feels like a metacritic for music, but somewhat better. Hard to find something truly special, but found some of my now favorite bands/artist.

I used it all the time in the noughties and found loads of good stuff on it but haven’t been on there since. Might check it out

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Olavi posted:

It's the first place I got when checking out a new band to see which albums are best regarded.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Olavi posted:

very helpful to get into/explore new/different genres, going through the charts and filtering and sorting and being pointed in a good direction with new artists

i think with new/er releases the user taste is more hit or miss (for me) but it's been indispensable for finding older gems

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I got into Deafheaven after an article on The Ringer about 'Infinite Granite', figured I'd give that a try and loved it, then picked up 'Sunbather' and even though that is absolutely not my thing I kind of liked that to. Haven't gone deep into the blackgaze hole yet. Before that, I got into IDLES, Public Service Broadcasting, Dry Cleaning, Coach Party, The Mysterines, John Hopkins and Bicep through BBC 6 Music, but my current car doesn't have a digital radio

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Olavi posted:

it's full of 4chan music board dorks who have zero original taste in music and just upboat anything that is already on the top albums list. muh led zeppelin, radiohead and king crimson, etc.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Olavi posted:

It's currently my main source of stuff I haven't heard yet. I'm currently prepping to try out a bunch of new, interesting-sounding genres and I'll be depending on their filtered chart for that.

Cached Money posted:

it's full of 4chan music board dorks who have zero original taste in music and just upboat anything that is already on the top albums list. muh led zeppelin, radiohead and king crimson, etc.

I mean, I guess there are some projects that you can't keep off the top spots no matter how hard you try, but there will absolutely be stuff worth hearing in the top 7,500 if you filter by a specific year or genre like I do.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Just discovered... ambient... micro... house... on rate your music. great site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I was passing around Memphis, TN last week and managed to pick up WXYR on my radio for a while. I liked what I heard from there.