Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My mother has chronic pain that is affecting her sleep. I'd like to help!

I'm a recreational cannabis user with a pretty low tolerance, which I inherited from my mom. I get panic attacks if I smoke too much, and over the years have really gotten to understand my limits and work within them. My mom used to smoke weed in the 70s back when the THC volume was about 5-10% of what it is today. She had an incident about a decade ago where my brother (with a high tolerance) convinced her to take an edible and she had a massive panic attack and swore it off forever.

She's in her mid-70s now, and recently she has had some chronic back, leg, and foot pain pop up which she is largely able to manage through exercises she was given physical therapy and chugging traditional painkillers, but recently the pain has been significantly disrupting her sleep and she is having an extremely difficult time dealing with it. My partner's mom has insomnia and found that weed oil is extremely helpful to helping her get good sleep. I think my mom's low tolerance and history with marijuana and panic attacks means that this is not as viable for her, but I wonder if other cannabinoids could be. Also perhaps relevant, she lives in a state where cannabis isn't legal, but it seems as if I would be able to send her some CBD/N stuff.

So, I want to know about using CBD and CBN for pain relief and/or sleep aids. Do they make sense for my mom's scenario? If so, what sort of dosage might do the trick? Looking online, I see edibles and oils that roughly look like they correspond with the dosage of marijuana edibles and oils, but I have no idea if that means the same dosage would be ideal across drugs. I know for marijuana edibles, I have a tolerance of 8mg as my max, an I suspect that my mom would be more like a 4 or 5mg kind of lady. I know that CBD is body-high only, but having only done CBD myself a couple of times without having known the dosage, I don't feel my experience with it has educated me on it all that much.

Curious to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences, and also would love to know of any good (legal) online vendors since I'm sure this field is rife with snake oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817606&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I'd suggest checking into this thread

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Hi OP, I don't know anything about weed, but I do know about back leg and foot pain! First, back/leg/foot pain (especially if it's on the right side?) Sounds like a pinched sciatic nerve, maybe a herniated disc? I mention it only because if you have an idea of what is causing the pain there might be more options to treat it.

Second, I take gabapentin for nerve pain, prescribed by my doctor, doesn't give me panic attacks or any other side effects like other pain killers (opiates were the only thing that ever eased my pain, except for surgery and gabapentin). Something to think about!

mystes
May 31, 2006

I tried cbn and didn't notice much effect, but I also live in a state where weed's legal and I found that taking like 2mg of thc works much better, so I kind of stopped bothering experimenting with cbn.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i use cbd for pain relief, its good for very specific things related to inflammation. in my case i use it to calm back muscle spasms, and sometimes to deal with knee pain during a long flight or drive. i usually take 2-3 droppers from a tincture.

for sleep i find thc more effective than cbd, personally, but thats not for everyone and for some people it can make anxiety worse so ymmv

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I'm not too experienced with just CBD since thc and regular cannabis products have been so abundant, but for a time I did try CBN tinctures for a sleep aid while traveling or on tolerance breaks since my sleep appetite pretty much drops out in the absence of thc. CBN just kind of makes you sleepy. If you're a regular cannabis consumer, it will position you better to fall asleep but its not going to knock you out. If you aren't a regular cannabis user, it'll make you feel a little cozy and like you wanna lay down and nap.

A budtender explained to me that as THC breaks down and deteriorates chemically one of the final steps in this process is CBN. Usually when you get inactive THC tinctures or when using flower for edibles, you generally have to decarb the product so it is orally active, usually with gentle heat for like 30 minutes or whatever. If you over do it and introduce too much heat, the THC will degrade to CBN. This, I was told, is a common reason why beginners with cooking cannabis often times make brownies or edibles that send them straight to a nap, they often overcook their THC and it breaks down into CBN.

Sublingual tincture was the best way I found to consume just CBN, and you could control the dosage relatively simply. The virtue of the tincture is you can kind of figure out what works for you slowly. One could try a few drops, see if that was effective and then the next night adjust accordingly.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 19, 2024