Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

E: Forgot to credit Manifisto, who did this awesome thing that I can't stop thinking about now.

nesamdoom posted:

Ok, it's still winter and I don't want to distract from anyone getting sigs, but...

nevermind. I forgot to :justpost:

Was going to post in sig thread, but yea. So,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6LyxAvZHP8
is a sig I've been thinking about.

In this thread I'd like to figure out the rules to this game. it's chessy with the board, but do the elevations matter? What rolls/abilities are the various models? Are the bongs placed optimally? Do the crabs have strategic moves in wait? Are coupons bonuses or players? Does the game end when everyone is glomped or are we waiting for a kitten to jump on the board and decide we all win? Could it be a multiplayer game with several people?

This seems like a thing that could at least be a fun game to mess around and throw hugs. I'd also think maybe tabletop simulator would work to be able to make it work. This is just a brainstorming thread that maybe works out to something and we get some laughs. Worst case, I'll take good ideas and I could 2d this without having to learn new stuff or maybe I could do it in Source, but I sure don't know how to program the maps so I'm not making a GMod that works. But, Source is the only 3d stuff I really get... Maybe actually a Minecraft server, I kinda know some of the ways to do the stuff for that and could figure it. But, hey, let's see if anyone else is interested in some byob version of chess.

the original will be in my sig because I just timg sigs and oh poo poo. can i timg a vid... maybe :thumbsup:

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 8, 2024

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

lol I applaud any efforts to try to make this into a real game

what I was vaguely thinking was, the bongs on the byob side and the coupons on the c&d side are like rooks and probably move in a similar fashion. this game hasn't progressed all that far so nobody has lost or even moved their rooks. the snowmen are probably some kind of piece like a bishop or knight. there are probably pieces that are not on the board because they've been glomped (the real reason is I ran out of time to make up more pieces lol). hammock kitten might be very good for a king or queen on the byob side, I don't know what the c&d equivalent would be . . . but this game doesn't have to be chess and doesn't have to follow chess rules/pieces!

I am not up on game engines particularly, but I know godot is a free one and probably there are a bunch of resources for it, and the component pieces here (all of it was done in blender) could with some work be turned into assets that could be used by any game engine. I bet there are free chess examples for various game engines so you wouldn't need to do everything from scratch to rig up a prototype.

ty nesamdoom!

RavenousScoot

idk anything about doing this, but dumping the models into tabletop sim and making up rules every time you play ala calvinball seems the most on brand option for yob chess

THANK YOU NESAM :^))
Previous:

code:
https://i.imgur.com/1rh8sdW.mp4 - manifisto
https://i.imgur.com/DeyYjwj.mp4 - vanisher
nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

RavenousScoot posted:

idk anything about doing this, but dumping the models into tabletop sim and making up rules every time you play ala calvinball seems the most on brand option for yob chess

As I was posting I thought about tabletop and yea, it's crazy how free it is with stuff. Mani already gave some ideas on how rules/effort might work. It's cold as poo poo outside so sitting at the computer and working on it doesn't sound bad.

Manifisto posted:

lol I applaud any efforts to try to make this into a real game

what I was vaguely thinking was, the bongs on the byob side and the coupons on the c&d side are like rooks and probably move in a similar fashion. this game hasn't progressed all that far so nobody has lost or even moved their rooks. the snowmen are probably some kind of piece like a bishop or knight. there are probably pieces that are not on the board because they've been glomped (the real reason is I ran out of time to make up more pieces lol). hammock kitten might be very good for a king or queen on the byob side, I don't know what the c&d equivalent would be . . . but this game doesn't have to be chess and doesn't have to follow chess rules/pieces!

Interesting. Bongs and coupons are waiting for chances to jump in. Haha, it's a dope Sig I've actually put way too much thought into, thus the thread, but yea.
Maybe hammock kitten as a special power rather than a king or queen. Unlockable in the event of needing to chill the board and take turns to think...
I also have considered there's a no win scenario, it's just constantly loving around and being chill. Maybe hammock kitty drops in when you get too few pieces and it's a constant regen as is seen on the top of the window.
I'm still spitballing ideas on how to have it function as a fun thing.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021