Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Google is worthless, just AI written articles.

From the west coast of the USA I want to send a full 40ft shipping container to another continent. I don't even know where to get started on this.

What company do I use?
Estimate on how much will it cost? $5000 $10,000?
Once it arrives at the foreign port how do I get it to the final destination city?
Do I get to keep the container at the destination? Or do they just dump my stuff out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

What are you putting in it? Are you moving?

Here's my experience doing that:

My wife and I moved from the UK to Canada. I basically googled like "International removals" or something and got a few quotes from companies. We picked one, and they came to our house and helped us pack up, took the stuff away in a van and loaded it into a shipping container. It went onto a boat which then went to Germany for some reason, the container was moved there to another boat which went to Canada.

Once it arrived (around 3 months later), another local company brought the container to our new place on the back of a truck, and unloaded the boxes into our place.

At the time, I think it cost us about £4000, but this was in 2019 so I don't know what's happened to prices since then.

https://internationalvanlines.com/container-shipping-costs/

This site says up to $7k for a 40ft container but of course it all depends where you're shipping to.

But yeah basically you contact a company and they should mostly be able to do the delivery "door to door", or you can deliver it yourself to a port and/or have your own people pick it up at another port I'm pretty sure.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I used to sell shipping containers so my information is tangentially related and somewhat spotty. Still, I would tell customers looking to ship stuff some basic information to point them in right direction:

- Find out your closest active port, probably just Port of [City Name] to see what companies operate out of there. West coast would be Seattle, Oakland, or Los Angeles that I know of. Portland had its ports closed for a few years but I think have restarted some operations in recent years.
- Alternatively, look up major shipping companies like Maersk, Hapag-Lloyd, or Evergreen and see if they ship out of any ports near you.

I would talk to them first and figure out their process. What you have to do next depends of what services that company may offer and some other considerations:

- You'll have to decide if you want to outright own the container you're shipping in or just want to rent for a one-time ship. If you're considering renting the container, you'll probably want to check with the shipping company if they offer these. Other than than, I don't know much about places that would have rentals that would ship overseas.
- If you're purchasing, you can get "New" (actually shipped over once, since they're all manufactured in China) or a Used one. New can always be shipped. For shipping used containers, the key word you're looking for is "Cargo Worthy" or CW, which means they are in decent enough shape to be relicensed to ship. Any other used containers you find not with this designation are a strong risk for not being able to be licensed to ship. The company I used to work for is here: https://cgicontainersales.com/. They sell out of the aforementioned ports.
- If you buy, the container will be delivered to your place, you load it, then you would arrange to get it delivered to the port based on your arrangement with the shipping company. Maybe you'd be able to buy and keep the container near a port to load it but port space is extremely valuable so that's an iffy prospect for an individual.
- The shipping company probably don't offer services to deliver from your place to the port. You'll probably have to find one yourself.

Hopefully this will help you know what to expect and point you in the right direction.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

My advice mostly breaks down all the steps if you're doing all the arrangements. A company like WhatEvil used is probably worth it to avoid all the headache of arranging it yourself.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Jabberlock posted:

"New" "Cargo Worthy" or CW

Thanks for the posts, very informative.

How much would either of these cost to buy? Once the container is delivered, I would like to keep it as a storage shed.

The container is probably going from Oakland, California to the port of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. My brother-in-law said the company he uses is $9,000 to ship, not sure if that includes the container or just renting the container.

Since I don't have a yard that can fit a 40ft container, looks like I need to find a middle-man. I will be moving most everything I own.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 9, 2024

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Price for a container "The container can range from $1,300 to $6,700 for 20 ft. and $1500 to $7000 for a 40 ft."... that's a pretty big range.
I guess I could get away with just a 20ft container.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 9, 2024

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Price for a container "The container can range from $1,300 to $6,700 for 20 ft. and $1500 to $7000 for a 40 ft."... that's a pretty big range.
I guess I could get away with just a 20ft container.

Yeah price will vary quite a bit depending how far from a port you are and how major that port is and any number of other factors. They tend to all be around the same price from different sellers in a general area I've found.

Other considerations if you're purchasing:
  • Delivery companies generally won't deliver 40' to residential areas, since there's not enough room to maneuver it into place. 20' are more likely to be delivered in this case. This is also if you're directly dropping it off a tilt-bed truck (the most likely way they'll deliver), if you need a crane or something to put it in your backyard, that's a whole separate company you'd have to talk to probably.
  • Used 20' and 40' tend to be similarly priced for the same condition (I think having to do with used 40' being way more common). It's a better value to get a 40' if you have the space but the above point is a big consideration.
  • Check local regulations to see if you can even have a container on your property, even if its only for a short period of time. For that matter, check if your destination allows it as well.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Pretty sure many years ago I read an Ask/Tell thread by a guy whose job was basically to coordinate and arrange stuff like this. I believe the term he used was 3PL, third party logistics. Maybe that search term will help.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

cheque_some posted:

Pretty sure many years ago I read an Ask/Tell thread by a guy whose job was basically to coordinate and arrange stuff like this. I believe the term he used was 3PL, third party logistics. Maybe that search term will help.

I think it was this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704083&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=3PL&pagenumber=1

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Most of the advice here is good.

I would recommend hiring a 3PL they’ll set you up with a container, book on a steamship line, and arrange loading at a CFS for you. Don’t try to do it yourself. Use a 3PL.

Insure your shipment. Have a full list itemized list of everything in the container. Generate a document that supports valuations of whatever you are shipping. If you have a choice of underwriter avoid CPIC and PICC. STARR is a good choice. Aon is a good broker you can get a policy through if the 3PL just doesn’t set you up with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Most of the advice here is good.

I would recommend hiring a 3PL they’ll set you up with a container, book on a steamship line, and arrange loading at a CFS for you. Don’t try to do it yourself. Use a 3PL.

Insure your shipment. Have a full list itemized list of everything in the container. Generate a document that supports valuations of whatever you are shipping. If you have a choice of underwriter avoid CPIC and PICC. STARR is a good choice. Aon is a good broker you can get a policy through if the 3PL just doesn’t set you up with one.

Yeah with stuff like this you're dealing with complicated rules of both ends and it's best to pay a professional who you can sue in the US if everything goes wrong