Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've requested Video Games to bless this question in advance. I explicitly do not want any info on finding roms or BIOSes.

I've been running LibreElec + Kodi on an SFF box. It works great for streaming and 16-bit console retrogaming. Kodi has an add-on that can launch roms in the built-in retro gaming framework, but I cannot for the life of me find a way to play any PS1, PS2, or Dreamcast games. There's no DC or PS2 emulator available in Kodi's add-on repository. If there's a way to do this, it's buried under a ton of "oh you can just do X" where X = a metric fuckton of Linux configuration, futzing, and testing that isn't necessarily guaranteed to work.

I'd love to have this SFF box be a single solution to sit on the couch, stream from Netflix, and then play Mars Matrix or something. Optimally I'd like to do this through LibreElec since it's lightweight and easily installed, but at this point, I don't care what flavor of OS it is, as long as it works. My current situation is that it's running Windows 11 with Kodi and Retroarch, but when I launch a game via the rom-launcher add-on through Retroarch, it just puts me back at the Windows desktop rather than Kodi.

I am willing to throw money at the problem and am offering a $50 bounty for a complete, step-by-step document that can tell me exactly what to do in order to accomplish my requirements. It doesn't have to be pretty. It doesn't have to be supported or updated as long as it works. I'll share it freely with whoever asks for it and not charge them a dime, or if you want to keep it private, I will respect your wishes.

The requirements:
  • Runs on a basic build of LibreElec, Windows 11, or some other easily flashed OS
  • Runs on an x86/x64 PC (not a Pi)
  • Allows me to use my existing Kodi add-on to launch roms via Retroarch
  • Does not require a keyboard/mouse (e.g. can launch from a BT game controller or BT/USB remote control)
  • Stays true to the 10-foot user interface - this is going to be for a living room TV, not a battlestation PC
  • Starts Kodi with no user intervention as soon as the OS starts up
  • Goes back to Kodi when done playing a rom
  • Works with the built-in wired ethernet, standard USB keyboard/mouse, and standard USB Bluetooth dongle
  • Assumes I know how to click a mouse, type with a keyboard, enter a BIOS/boot device menu, use a web browser, and add URLs as file manager sources in Kodi
  • Any prereqs other than a fresh LibreElec or Windows 11 install are either fully explained with step-by-step text directions or screen shots
  • No video walkthroughs, none at all. Treat this thing like GameFAQs.
  • Tells me exactly what Retroarch cores to use and what folders I should put bios files in
  • Tells me any extraneous steps that I should know which aren't covered above

If you produce a document that takes me from the baseline LibreElec, Win 11, or other build, and if I can launch roms and get back to Kodi successfully, I will Paypal you $50. If that's not a reasonable price, I'd be open to hearing what you think is a good rate, but the higher it goes, the more likely I am to think I'd just be better off with Win 11 and manually relaunching Kodi upon Retroarch exit.

Hopefully this is an easy enough task for someone who's been in the retrogaming side of things for a while, I'm just up to here with lack of documentation, ancient links whose steps are no longer valid, videos with comments disabled and no steps showing how they got to where they are, and incomplete answers from redditors who don't know how to read a post.

So yeah, I will give you $50 if you can get me retrogaming with a couch-based UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

To be fair I don't use Kodi and I'm not really sure about your specific UI needs,

But Batocera sounds like a good OS image as it has 7th gen emulator support and Kodi with controller support built in. It should also follow the usual ROM/bios standards of retroarch.

You can boot from USB as well to try it out afaik.

If it checks out for you, awesome! If not, sorry!

https://wiki.batocera.org/choose_a_desktop_computer
Supported hardware^

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Batocera does just about everything you want. It'll launch into Batocera on boot but you have an option to boot into Kodi. Once you're done with Kodi, you can go back to Batocera. It's not quite what you want but I think it's close enough.

Adding ROMs/BIOs is super easy to do if you put on your network. It'll show up as a computer on your network and you can drag and drop your files. Each system has their own dedicated folder and there's a folder for BIOs. You may need to configure which BIOs to use in retroarch but that should be simple.

https://wiki.batocera.org/add_games_bios

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Learned the hard way that arcade games DO NOT play nice with "Save on exit" / "Auto Load Save on Startup" so please learn from my hour of wondering why Puzzle Bobble 2 kept crashing on Load.

Edit; sorry, wrong thread.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 15, 2024