Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
AND NOW FOR THE STRIDEX SLAM OF THE WEEK

BAH GAWD, JACQUELINE JUST GAVE MARK HENRY A LOW BLOW... AND HE'S NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT!

THAT WAS THE STRIDEX SLAM OF THE WEEK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Bringing Danielson back after the heat had died down was one of the smartest things WWE ever did.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

WWF/E moving away from the cool PPV sets really sucked poo poo.

Halloween Havoc in the 90s was also some GOAT sets for a young kid into spooky poo poo like myself.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Backlash claws...

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

ChrisBTY posted:

Bringing Danielson back after the heat had died down was one of the smartest things WWE ever did.

As an unabashed Danielson mark I was so upset by his firing at the time but on the forum I was on I made a thread a week before the PPV about how, in a perfect world, all the pieces were lining up to bring Danielson back during that match at Survivor Series - The Miz history, indie date timing, etc. I ended it by saying "but we don't live in a perfect world :(". A bunch of the higher ups on the forum in question made fun of me nonetheless.

And then the match happened :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

And now all these years later, both Danielson and Nigel are big features in the #1 wrestling promotion on the planet :hellyeah:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Figured this was a better place to post this than the regular WWE thread. Thing I wrote on 15 WWE Champions Who Lost the Title Way Too Soon.

I will never not rant about how stupid that Cena/Mysterio match was.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Ugh, I am so glad I completely missed Piggy James. loving hell Vince.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God, I completely forgot about Goldberg coming back and squashing Kevin Owens in the middle of Owens' (very cool) Jericho storyline :sigh:

And yeah, Cena was completely the bad guy in that Rey Mysterio situation but WWE treated it like the most heroic thing in the world to show up out of nowhere fresh as a daisy and challenge a guy who had just fought through and won a grueling tournament immediately after he actually won the belt. The bizarre drooling dictates of a senile monster.

On the positive side, Eddie's title reign may not have ended well, but goddamn him winning it was a loving fantastic match and moment.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

God, I completely forgot about Goldberg coming back and squashing Kevin Owens in the middle of Owens' (very cool) Jericho storyline :sigh:

And yeah, Cena was completely the bad guy in that Rey Mysterio situation but WWE treated it like the most heroic thing in the world to show up out of nowhere fresh as a daisy and challenge a guy who had just fought through and won a grueling tournament immediately after he actually won the belt. The bizarre drooling dictates of a senile monster.

On the positive side, Eddie's title reign may not have ended well, but goddamn him winning it was a loving fantastic match and moment.

I've heard it said Eddie didn't want the title because he couldn't handle the pressure of being world champ in wwe. I always thought that sounded like someone who was brainwashed. Obviously if the company wants you as champ they can make things as easy as they want for you

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Owens losing like that was my last straw with WWE. It kinda bums me out that WWE dominates my wrestling memory. They were so gross to Eddie after his passing that while I love his title win as a moment too (the crowd is so behind him, which makes sense both because he was great and because of Guerrero family history), it just makes me think of how they prostituted his memory for cheap heat, then had Rey defend it in the media.

Also a reminder that WWE asked Vickie and Eddie's brothers to not run a yearly Eddie memorial show after the 1st one Eddie's familybecause they had plans to do so....then never ran one.

Shard posted:

I've heard it said Eddie didn't want the title because he couldn't handle the pressure of being world champ in wwe. I always thought that sounded like someone who was brainwashed. Obviously if the company wants you as champ they can make things as easy as they want for you

He dropped it for the reason you described, apparently ratings and ppv didn't completely tank with him on top but they did take a hit and he took it as a sign he was failing somehow. It's important to remember that Eddie is from a massive wrestling family that was around during the heyday of wrestling territories on tv, and so while I don't think WWE booked him well as WWE champion, I also think part of his reasoning comes from the old mentality of the world champion needing to be a draw.

As Eddie my all time favorite I'm a bit biased because I think he was too hard on himself. But I have a logical reason; if he did feel his job was to draw and he was failing in that capacity, it's worth noting that the world champ being on tv stopped being a big event a LONG time ago. And that isn't on Eddie, that's just the business changing.

I wish he'd had more years as a main event guy. He was such a great performer. You need a cocky face? He's your guy. You need a borderline psychotic heel driven by bitterness and jealousy? He can do that too. You need a guy to help carry your tag division? He can also do that.

Wrestling is worse off without Eddie Guerrero.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 29, 2024

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Eddie had the perfect combination of being both an excellent performer and an incredible wrestler. It made him super versatile, it was almost impossible not to sit up and take notice when he was on screen. His perfectionism probably something to do with that too, but I feel like that was also one of the things that killed him.

There aren't many people who could, on one hand, be relied on to help someone reverse a powerbomb into a diamond cutter (a manoeuvre so great that DDP started marking out to it in the ring) and, on the other, get some legit laughs with the WWE "ain't I a stinker?" schtick.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I always found it interesting how Eddie Guerrero and Shawn Michaels had the same mentality about the pressures of being champion, but they responded in opposite ways. Eddie seemed reluctant to be in the championship picture in a "you can't lose if you don't play" way. Michaels became increasingly possessive of his spot, like he thought that things could potentially turn around if he was champion long enough. If he dropped the title, then they might never trust him in that role again.

During his comeback, Michaels had figured out if he wasn't champion, he wouldn't have to deal with those tendencies and he was a lot healthier for it.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Here’s some WWF nostalgia for my Canadian friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYuNQ0w1QvE

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 2, 2024

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023
My first nostalgic thought was remembering during that time period the Keg used to have a salad bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Sandman from ECW posted:

Here’s some WWF nostalgia for my Canadian friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYuNQ0w1QvE

woah there is a lot of my guy big mike landsburg on youtube