Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Benagain posted:

I like that this post from 2015 and two games ago calls out resources not crossing the water barrier as stupid. Why does that still exist

I mean, the two key flaws of the series that existed 2 or 3 games ago are still the same, imo, they have barely improved...
-bad strategic AI. Armies of 50 regular militia deciding to attack your army of >200 more elite dudes. In the last two games they have been improving (slightly) the tactical AI but the strategic AI seems the same to me.
-bad UI, not adequate to the needs of their own game design. Because Dominions is a very special game that isn't about 'managing your empire' through provinces or castles, in a way it's an agent based game as it really is about managing 50-150 individual commanders, with them doing a myriad of things: scouts, assassins, army leaders, army ferrying, raiding thugs, SCs, antiSC thugs, magic searchers, patrollers, blood hunters, forgers, researchers, preachers, summoners, and a long etc. The game needs an overhaul in how it shows all these dozens commanders, and ways to search and organize them (groups/filters/order by, etc), and ways to give orders in an efficient manner, being able to give items in bulk, organize them better in the army setup, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

we're definitely at a point with releases where i don't think the excuse of the devs being some small indie joint really flies as well anymore in terms of certain aspects of the game sucking poo poo to deal with. like if you're going to be releasing iterative takes on the same formula while tweaking a few things and adding a handful of new stuff then people are well within their rights of kind of asking why the actual interface for doing a lot of the things the games wants of you is still annoying to deal with.

it's not some dwarf fortress scenario where the coding is some nightmare hell demon and it's simulating the heat death of the universe or whatever. hell, even dwarf fortress has been steadily getting that sorted out lately!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
So ⁠earendil, my first Dominions game since 4, is nearly complete. I'm sure I didn't play EA Pyrene optimally, but I'd like to share some impressions of it:

1. It's a fun nation for cheap thugging. You've got 4 different recruitable thug chassis of varying costs and your Jentils can forge 5 gem items for 1 gem after Dwarven Hammers.
2. If you take an awake expander you can really mass freespawn cave cows and Mouflons. They're not very good, but with morale forging items and troop buffs they're not a liability. It's critically important to conquer Mountain/Hill provinces and Forest provinces for your Mairu troops and Basandere/Basajaun mages.
3. I still really don't know what your endgame plan should be as this nation.
4. Caves are both OP (excellent, safe income) and also suck to deal with. It takes forever to move through the provinces. Underwater lite realm.

I still haven't adapted to cheaper summons in Dominions 6 yet. There are some really good value summons like 3 Manticores for 10N.