Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was MLK
dumber than Goku?
smarter than Goku?
View Results

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I know he did good work, that is not my question. I want to know if this fellow was a moron.
He finally figured out it was bad to explode the entire country of Vietnam or whatever but I looked up what he had to say on Israel and it seems like he was dumb as a post.

Dr King posted:

“Israel’s right to exist as a state is incontestable,” 
1967 letter to Adolph Held, president of the Jewish Labor Committee

"I see Israel as one of the great outposts of democracy in the world, and a marvelous example of what can be done, how desert land can be transformed into an oasis of brotherhood and democracy."
1968 speech to the Rabbinical Assembly

“When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews. You’re talking antiSemitism!”
1967 remarks at a dinner in Cambridge

Did he also say some really smart things? Or do people just care what he said because of the aforementioned good work? I think it is high time we as a society acknowledge that stupid people can do great things and that doing great things doesn't mean that you know the difference between your ear hole and your arse hole.

Anyway it's MLK day I think. Tell me about this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Fartin Pooper King

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

I dunno but his son Junior did some good stuff

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
he was a jesus lover which is cringe

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Punished Turtle posted:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Weka posted:

I know he did good work, that is not my question. I want to know if this fellow was a moron.
He finally figured out it was bad to explode the entire country of Vietnam or whatever but I looked up what he had to say on Israel and it seems like he was dumb as a post.

Did he also say some really smart things? Or do people just care what he said because of the aforementioned good work? I think it is high time we as a society acknowledge that stupid people can do great things and that doing great things doesn't mean that you know the difference between your ear hole and your arse hole.

Anyway it's MLK day I think. Tell me about this guy.

In all seriousness, at the time Israel was considered a leftist project to the extent that the USSR was the first country to recognize them. Bearing in mind that those comments came just after the Six Day War and prior to Sadat in Egypt and it's, while certainly not prescient, at least reasonable that a minister in the US who understood that capitalism, racism, and poverty were inextricably linked could believe in the Israeli state and be hopeful it would lead to something good.

It's also important to note that at the time WWII, the holocaust, and the aftermath were all within living memory of every adult.

MLK wasn't stupid unless he truly failed to believe that the US government would assassinate him and after JFK and given his actions and precautions there's no indication he was in any doubt they would kill him eventually.

He wasn't perfect and his legacy has certainly been co-opted but all the evidence shows that he knew how power and systems worked and understood his role to play in the struggles he faced.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
No

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ClassActionFursuit posted:

MLK wasn't stupid unless he truly failed to believe that the US government would assassinate him and after JFK and given his actions and precautions there's no indication he was in any doubt they would kill him eventually.

He wasn't perfect and his legacy has certainly been co-opted but all the evidence shows that he knew how power and systems worked and understood his role to play in the struggles he faced.

tbh I guess he was naïve enough not to realise that the US would eventually coopt his legacy and play down his radicalism

like you say, he knew he was going to die, 'I've been to the mountaintop' and all that, but he should have prepared a bit more than he did thqt night, idk

e: you know who was kind of an idiot? Fred Hampton for not properly vetting William O'Neal

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Was he cringe or based? I've heard cringe libtards call him based but I've also heard based realheads say yes he's based but those libtards got it twisted and their version of him is cringe. Surface level first impression he's got a cringe face but could be sleeper build based. Hand writing letters from jail is based but honestly could go either way depending on his posture while writing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
he plagiarized his dissertation and didn't get caught so that makes him smart

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Einstein? Yep, also huge Israel supporter. Just how deep does the rabbit hole go???

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

He was too woke

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder how powerful MLK Jr was as a fighter.

If you had him and John F Kennedy in a fist fight, who would win? I'm not ashamed to admit that even I don't know.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
jeffk had a hosed up back and was on some crazy amount of painkillers. also we later learned he had a mysteriously incomplete skull

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

jeffk had a hosed up back and was on some crazy amount of painkillers. also we later learned he had a mysteriously incomplete skull

Does this actually make him weaker, though? Maybe his dulled ability to feel pain will make him more powerful, like a Berserker.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
Is this fight taking place in the present day? if so that's definitely a point in jfks favour, if he had modern meth back in the day theres no way that bullet would have put him down

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
He was a doctor, a reverend, and a junior. Very powerful combo

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovm5Y-ii5Co

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

It’s time we found a better African American role model

I nominate Elon Musk

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I thought Eldridge Cleaver died in the 80s how is he making posts on SA?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder how powerful MLK Jr was as a fighter.

If you had him and John F Kennedy in a fist fight, who would win? I'm not ashamed to admit that even I don't know.

jfk was a sickly nerdlinger. his big beefy brother died in a plane wreck (cia??)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfao

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
jfk had the body type that allowed you to pull off flawless Star Trek fighting moves like a double balled hammer punch or the body throw

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Punished Turtle posted:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

jfk had the body type that allowed you to pull off flawless Star Trek fighting moves like a double balled hammer punch or the body throw

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Honky Mao posted:

Was he cringe or based? I've heard cringe libtards call him based but I've also heard based realheads say yes he's based but those libtards got it twisted and their version of him is cringe. Surface level first impression he's got a cringe face but could be sleeper build based. Hand writing letters from jail is based but honestly could go either way depending on his posture while writing

ive been saying this for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't know but I'm way smarter than him.