Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which was it?
Work
Shoot
View Results

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Poll included.

over the years I'm pretty certain it was a work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i decided it's a work by coming up with a lot of stuff that i don't want people to challenge. bret hart didn't have any reason to be making a boring documentary about himself (what became "wrestling with shadows") until it turned into being about the incredible screwjob so everyone could see all the storyline details. and the screw job could have been done a lot better if it were real and wwf didn't want everyone to be able to tell what happened. for example you come up with a better idea for screwing bret hart and put that here in this post. it was all meant to be upping the ante as a progression from the successful steve austin vs brian pillman feud where austin invaded pillman's house about 1 year prior. television that blurred the lines between story and reality. afterward some things probably fell through so it looked like they didn't have any reason for it to be a work but that was in hindsight. drat

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Cavauro posted:

i decided it's a work by coming up with a lot of stuff that i don't want people to challenge. bret hart didn't have any reason to be making a boring documentary about himself (what became "wrestling with shadows") until it turned into being about the incredible screwjob so everyone could see all the storyline details. and the screw job could have been done a lot better if it were real and wwf didn't want everyone to be able to tell what happened. for example you come up with a better idea for screwing bret hart and put that here in this post. it was all meant to be upping the ante as a progression from the successful steve austin vs brian pillman feud where austin invaded pillman's house about 1 year prior. television that blurred the lines between story and reality. afterward some things probably fell through so it looked like they didn't have any reason for it to be a work but that was in hindsight. drat

Here is my thinking:

he was leaving (WWF and Bret knew) - they wanted to make it interesting, Bret got paid either way
Legacy, a story about being hosed over by "the man"
the documentary, 100%
A lot of wrestlers, and even the ref, say it was a work lol
Everything in wrestling is a work

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It worked him into a shoot, brother

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Namtab posted:

It worked him into a shoot, brother

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
One way or the other, it worked pretty well for Brett

You Can Join Something Awful Wrestling Today

Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9pm Eastern on twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It 100% was a work

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Like everything in wrestling, it was real.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I think it was a work because of what Scott Hall said in Dark Sode of the Ring. Scott Hall was a cool dude.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Sandman McMahon posted:

I think it was a work because of what Scott Hall said in Dark Sode of the Ring. Scott Hall was a cool dude.

what did he say

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

it was a work until it wasn't and then it was a work again

(Vince coming out probably turned it into a shoot imo, I think that probably legit pissed off Bret)

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Sandman McMahon posted:

scott hall and kevin nash ftw honestly

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

tmfc posted:

can't argue with this

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

tmfc posted:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

sad to say but we will never in our lifetimes know a better example of Two Dudes Broing Their Way Through Life than the Outsiders. Titus and Pollo of our time. Blessed be upon them

In the late 00s I accompanied my pal as he got a pic with Kevin Nash and he was very chill and cool, Nash was doing some promotion at the time where you could come hang with him at some house in Florida overnight and the big advertised line was that you could just hang out on the porch and smoke cigars with him. Was a thousand bucks, what a steal these days

My friend was seriously entertaining it and said something like "and hey, maybe Scott could come down too!" and Hall had been busted like, two days earlier for a DUI and without missing a beat Nash laughed and said "Well were gonna have to go pick him up cause he aint driving :cool:"

----------------

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
It was a shoot, it always was. For two big reasons

1) Someone would have come out and admitted it by now. People cannot keep secrets, especially with how information and the obtaining of it advanced as the 2000's began. It's the same reason every stupid conspiracy like faked moon landings, 9/11 was an inside job, and all that are false. People cannot keep secrets. They feel guilty. They get drunk and lose their filter. They tell it for 'cred'.

But FAR more...

2) If it was a work, then Davey Boy and Neidhart wouldn't have broken their contracts to go with Bret, and that wouldn't have left Owen all by himself in the WWE, with Bret I STRONGLY suspect beings hands off in contact after that to prevent Owen from having any trouble with his job, which meant that there was no one to tell Owen "Hey, maybe this Blue Blazer flying stunt is a bad idea" which led to Owen's death.

Because that's the core of what supposedly makes the Screwjob so 'tempest in a teapot' to many fans. They go 'Bret was a loving mark for himself, he thought he really was a drat superhero, he was a guy who had to do a job, and since he refused to do it, it was forced on him'. If that was all that had happened, I strongly suspect Bret would have gotten over it a lot faster than he did. But that's not why Bret cared so much. It was because he wasn't there for his little brother. I don't know the man's mind, but I'd bet money that he did, and maybe still does, on some level, blame himself for Owen's death.

No work could cover that, not even in pro wrestling.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they worked ya

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cornwind Evil posted:

It was a shoot, it always was. For two big reasons

1) Someone would have come out and admitted it by now. People cannot keep secrets, especially with how information and the obtaining of it advanced as the 2000's began. It's the same reason every stupid conspiracy like faked moon landings, 9/11 was an inside job, and all that are false. People cannot keep secrets. They feel guilty. They get drunk and lose their filter. They tell it for 'cred'.

But FAR more...

2) If it was a work, then Davey Boy and Neidhart wouldn't have broken their contracts to go with Bret, and that wouldn't have left Owen all by himself in the WWE, with Bret I STRONGLY suspect beings hands off in contact after that to prevent Owen from having any trouble with his job, which meant that there was no one to tell Owen "Hey, maybe this Blue Blazer flying stunt is a bad idea" which led to Owen's death.

Because that's the core of what supposedly makes the Screwjob so 'tempest in a teapot' to many fans. They go 'Bret was a loving mark for himself, he thought he really was a drat superhero, he was a guy who had to do a job, and since he refused to do it, it was forced on him'. If that was all that had happened, I strongly suspect Bret would have gotten over it a lot faster than he did. But that's not why Bret cared so much. It was because he wasn't there for his little brother. I don't know the man's mind, but I'd bet money that he did, and maybe still does, on some level, blame himself for Owen's death.

No work could cover that, not even in pro wrestling.

wrong it was a work

----------------

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Bret Hart thinks wrestling is 100% real and he got worked

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

the sex ghost posted:

It 100% was a work

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
sounds fake idk

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

are you telling me that bret the hitman hart would be stupid enough to let shawn michaels get him in a hold on his own free will? it was a work

----------------

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

are you telling me that bret the hitman hart would be stupid enough to let shawn michaels get him in a hold on his own free will?

Yes

You Can Join Something Awful Wrestling Today

Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9pm Eastern on twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkKMV3cU5V4

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

that settles it

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

okay that convinces me, I was wrong.
I'm not arguing against Big Sexy Kevin Nash and X-Pac.