Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)
Which one?
This poll is closed.
Blood Simple 1 5.88%
Raising Arizona 2 11.76%
Miller's Crossing 1 5.88%
Barton Fink 1 5.88%
The Hudsucker Proxy 0 0%
Fargo 1 5.88%
The Big Lebowski 3 17.65%
O Brother, Where Art Thou? 1 5.88%
The Man who Wasn't There 0 0%
Intolerable Cruelty 0 0%
The Ladykillers 0 0%
No Country for Old Men 3 17.65%
Burn After Reading 1 5.88%
A Serious Man 2 11.76%
True Grit 0 0%
Inside Llewin Davis 0 0%
Hail, Caesar! 0 0%
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 1 5.88%
Total: 17 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

the gal who got rattled was my favorite one when I saw it, a belief that I’m alone among all God’s creatures in having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’d be interested in giving it a rewatch and seeing how my order holds up, I feel like every time I watch the same Coen Brothers movie my opinion on it changes in some way

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Blood Simple was very well done for a pair of filmmaking newcomers. Looked into the making of the film, and Bruce Campbell was slated to be in it. He's in a very early promo trailer for investors. I highly recommend this movie.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Punished Chuck posted:

the gal who got rattled was my favorite one when I saw it, a belief that I’m alone among all God’s creatures in having.

it was also my favorite back when I first watched it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

only got half an hour into Miller's Crossing before i had to leave for work but i'm already sold, some wonderful dialogue and exchanges so far. hope i can keep track of everyone and their relationships

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

lol and the followup is hail caesar. talk about whiplash

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

:siren:NEW THREAD FOR THE OFFICIAL SECOND ROUND IS HERE: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053166 :siren:

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 30, 2024

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
you linked to this thread lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

lmfao

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

elf help book posted:

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

elf help book posted:

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I need a good reliable OP

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

elf help book posted:

lmfao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

elf help book posted:

I need a good reliable OP

would that it were so simple

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hail, Caesar!

lot better thn i remembered. its still a fluffy period piece but its a lot of fun with some really good acting nd a couple insanely good scenes. the dance number is insane, all th long take speeches kicked rear end. its got a ton of love and care put into it and some huge laugh lines. i think its still bottom of my list but its a lot of fun and i think does a lot better on a rewatch. lost my poo poo at th HUAC night mare commie cell complete wth russian sub and at a bunch of other stuff. worth a look even if its not one of the greats.

★★★

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh yeah biggest laugh line of the movie was a perfect deadpan its not about money, its about economics!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Miller's Crossing

holy smokes

i'm a sucker for witty, cocksure dialogue especially in noir movies and with the Coen Bros magic added into that i was sold on pretty much every line. Gabriel Byrne absolutely sells it as a smug rear end in a top hat who's still an expert at playing both sides, and all the supporting cast only aids him in that. some really intense scenes that kept my eyes glued to the screen too: the Danny Boy segment, all the scenes at Miller's Crossing, the spat and execution of the Dane, just superb all-around and really convincing me that the Coen Bros can excel at any genre. the only strike i have against it is the relationships of everyone to each other was somewhat hard to track for me but i imagine viewing it a second time will clear any of it up.

9/10

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Intolerable Cruelty

Over the top battles of fortune seeking divorcees vs genius divorce attorneys feels like it should be a fun concept. There's hints of that here, but it never really reaches hard enough, and the jokes rarely land well enough. It all feels clunky, bored of itself, the movie knows where it's going and it just doesn't want to detour from there.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

me after picking up my $175 special edition copy of Phoenix Wright 7

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

elf help book posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just finished Miller's crossing.

Loved this movie. It's so cleverly written. It's got a great story, awesome characters, great twists and it's all so cohesive. The score was odd and sometimes gave the movie an strange vibe, but maybe that was on purpose and I just don't get it.

5 out of 5 "Jesus Tom!"'s

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

And turturro was incredible.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I enjoyed Miller's Crossing. I went into it blind hoping for a deconstruction of the gangster movie, because I was never big on gangster movies. What I ended up with was a love letter to gangster movies. Despite the fact that the movie was 90 percent references I didn't get, the Coen Brothers still made a movie that was a lot of fun to watch. 4/5

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Raising Arizona. I didn’t intend to watch their first two movies in chronological order—I can’t recall if I was even aware that Raising Arizona was their second movie when I started it—but I’m glad I did. Apparently the Coens had challenged themselves to make a movie as different from Blood Simple as possible and watching the two after one another makes you feel like they kind of bracketed most of their later films, which are not quite as bleak and sparse as Blood Simple but not quite as madcap and zany as RA.

I laughed at loud at multiple points which is rare for me, I’m not generally a big fan of comedies but this one really got me, especially the big wacky Looney Tunes race in the middle and the bank robbery at the end.

Despite the over-the-top comedic nature of the movie it kind of reminded me of Cormac McCarthy, the empty southern setting, the way everyone talks in a very well-spoken manner even if they’re dimwits, the inhuman villain that feels like a force of nature rather than a person (even though he was obviously played for laughs he feels like a parody of or homage to characters like The Judge of Red Meridian or Anton Chigurh) so I guess it makes sense that they knocked it out of the park when they did adapt McCarthy later in No Country For Old Men which one of my favorite films of all time.

Not sure how many, if any, more I’ll be able to get through before the deadline now since real life has been intruding on all my gaming and movie-watching time but I’ll try to squeeze at least one or two more in, and maybe keep my own personal Coen Brothers marathon going, I’ve loved most of their movies and at least liked the ones I didn’t love but I’ve still got a ton I haven’t seen yet.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Blood Simple

maybe it was silly of me to go into their first movie thinking they started out rather amateur like a good number of other directors, cuz drat their debut was still just pure Coen Bro even if i thought it started out feeling like a B-movie director trying to imitate them. some pretty trademark idiosyncrasies are already there like weird dialogue tangents, birds-eye shots, characters conniving against one another as everything falls apart in real time, isolated-feeling setting, etc. also manages to carve its own niche though, feels almost just as violent as No Country taking into account how small the cast is but much grittier. feels like the escalation is almost exponential until the bonkers ending, i thought McDormand's acting was very evident of it being her first film until the last third or so of the movie when everything comes crashing down. i guess the only thing that really held it back for me was the acting, aside from McDormand and Meurice the rest of the actors felt somewhat wooden (though Marty's death throes from crawling out of the car to finally being buried alive was pretty drat harrowing). also kinda came out of the movie wanting more, but regardless, very good standalone movie and a stellar debut

8/10

i only have time for one more and Barton Fink has been among the top of my movie backlog, so lfg

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

A Serious Man

It was good, sure. Well acted and all that. I already know life sucks, I don't need to watch a movie about it. Slight don't recommend

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i love a movie about a man suffering from forces he cannot control

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

elf help book posted:

i love a movie about a man suffering from forces he cannot control

as i finish up Barton Fink, yeah

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Barton Fink

very brutal movie, phew. a lot of the second half was a series of waiting for other shoes to drop, extremely tense. John Turturro is great as a twitchy fish out of water but John Goodman absolutely steals the show, one of the best performances I've seen recently especially his final confrontation with the detectives and Fink. did not see him turning out to be a serial killer coming but the foreshadowing in hindsight was there. rest of the cast was great as well including in a weird Fargo way the setting, though less the actual places and more just the whole atmosphere being this unforgiving miasma of sleaze and got-mine mentality that permeates the City of Angels. i don't think there was any point where it felt like L.A. was romanticized and instead portrayed as a machine that chews up promises and spits out despair unless you're at the very top. despite that though there were some really funny lines, full-on lmao'd at "We never had sex, we just wrestled!" followed by dead silence. i think some allegory was extremely on the nose at times but still an excellent Coen Bros film to end off on

9/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

and since i won't have time today to finish another movie, final ranking

No Country
Fargo
Big Lebowski
Barton Fink/Miller's Crossing (cant decide which edges out the other)
[small gap]
Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
[small gap]
Hail, Caesar!
Burn after Reading

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Miller’s Crossing. I’m going to sleep on it a bit before I make any definitive statements, but it might be my new favorite Coen Bros movie, which places it in the running for favorite movie period. Gabriel Byrne killed it in the lead role and John Turturro plays the perfect slime ball prick, you want to see him get his comeuppance from the first scene you see him where he’s just sort of a prick, then you feel awful for him during the harrowing scene at Miller’s Crossing, then he squanders his shot at a clean getaway to screw over the guy who saved his life out of pride and pettiness and then you’re right back to wanting to see this smarmy bastard get his. It’s interesting that Tom is in a lot of ways like many of the Coen’s protagonists who find themselves wrapped up in a problem way over their heads and their attempts to get out of it just dig themselves deeper, but he’s sharp and savvy enough to generally stay on top of things and turn unexpected twists to his advantage—even if they do bite him bad in the short term and he’s clearly just barely keeping ahead. He never feels in control of the situation but he’s a quick enough thinker to keep from getting run over, though you always feel like everything’s just about to catch up with him. I’ll need to give it a rewatch soon, I feel like every Coen Bros movie gains something from a rewatch and I’m curious to see what it is for this one.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I also watched Crimewave because Amazon kept recommending it to me. It's the film the Coen Brothers wrote for Sam Raimi early in their career. A businessman hires two hit men posing as exterminators to kill his business partner. It starts a lot like a Coen Brothers crime drama except the hit men are clearly based off of the three stooges, and the rest of the movie plays out like a three stooges comedy except they murder people. It didn't work at all, but you can definitely see the start of some of the ideas they used in Raising Arizona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok time up for th free rental period. ty all for participating! see you in th other thread.