Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I fractured my finger bone

I fell on it Tuesday last week and happened to have a doc visit on Tuesday of this week

It was swollen, discolored, and generally hurt nonstop. I figured it was probably fine

It wasn’t

Anyways, I always do this. Avoid going in for stuff

Wanna know where the line is for you all? When do you break down and finally go to a doc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
whenever I need because it's generally free and I get time off in my country

It's a good system

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

When I can't move/function/live.
The American way.

The last time I went to the hospital was for a rollover accident. Before that was heart issues. Don't hit me with that $20k poo poo.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

whenever I need because it's generally free and I get time off in my country

It's a good system

This is why Americans grow up to be tough badasses, like in the movies you've probably seen in your country. None of that coddling health care!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If it's going to stop me sleeping or running

As I get older I'm more likely to seek help though

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Consider the goon doctor, OP.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

N. Senada posted:

Wanna know where the line is for you all? When do you break down and finally go to a doc?
usually when someone who cares about me gets mad lol

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

They'll have to drag my cold dying body

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The dweller on the threshold.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

When my wife makes me because I'm dying

OR

When i could still work but needed the day off for anything. Since many jobs in America will just fire you if you don't have a doctor's note for missing work, you just pop into the free clinic real quick and make up some poo poo

E: funnily enough that was exactly how i found out i was sick for real

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

titties posted:

When my wife makes me because I'm dying

OR

When i could still work but needed the day off for anything since many jobs in America will just fire you if you don't have a doctor's note for missing work so you just pop into the free clinic real quick and make up some poo poo

They don't even care about doctor's notes anymore a good amount of the time lol.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

last time was for my appendix about 25 years ago

these days if that happened i'd probably just perish at home. i have insurance through work, but don't really want to mess with the 14k out of pocket max or whatever it is.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

doc...tor?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

No need, I have a very good family shaman.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Just go to the doctor anyway, if it's on a Sunday there might be like a small gap fee. Also if it's bad enough call an ambulance, wait to be seen, get it sorted, head on home. :australia:

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Just to say hi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remembertorelax
Aug 16, 2023
Our health insurance has a free phone number to call for basically this exact question. You end up talking to a nurse who sort of walks you through scripted questions and tells you whether to wait it out, make a dr appointment, go to urgent care, or go to the ER.

The insurance company wants to save their money both short term and long term, and I don't want to go to the doctor, so this is one situation where I feel like their interests effectively line up with my interests. Or maybe I'm an idiot.

For new parents, I buy this book from...APA?... where you can look up all kinds of medical concerns for babies and toddlers and it has actual, non-blogspam info about what to do, including when to make a dr appointment or seek urgent/ER care. It occurs to me that there's got to be a similar book for adult humans that's better than webmd or random web searches.