Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've tried every solution I could find on Google, and nothing has worked so far.

Problem description:
Whenever my ~6 month old self-built desktop PC goes into Sleep mode, whether automatically or forced via the Start menu, it immediately wakes back up.

This always occurs within 60 seconds, but is often nearly instant. When I look in the Windows Event Viewer, it shows the wakeups as "Wake source: unknown".

Attempted fixes:
- Clean booted with EVERYTHING disabled -- no cloud backup, no nVidia software, no audio control panel, no Discord, no Steam, nothing.
- Unplugged all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.
- Verified that no random inputs are coming from the keyboard or mouse.
- Used powercfg /waketimers to confirm that there are no active wake timers.
- Used powercfg /devicequery wake_armed to verify the hardware allowed to wake the PC:
code:
C:\Windows\System32>powercfg /devicequery wake_armed
HID Keyboard Device
HID Keyboard Device (001)
Realtek Gaming 2.5GbE Family Controller
HID-compliant mouse
HID Keyboard Device (005)
- Disabled "Allow this device to wake the computer" on the network adapter's Power Management tab
*** Here's an odd quirk: After disabling this checkbox, powercfg still shows the network adapter as able to wake the PC. If I go back into Power Management, the box is still checked. Is there another way to disable this? Could this be the issue? Wouldn't it show up in the Event Viewer if the network adapter were waking the PC?

Recent changes: None. This PC has always been a little touchy about staying asleep, but the last couple of weeks it's been happening 100% of the time. I haven't installed anything new (other than Steam games) or made any hardware changes since before this started.

--

Operating system: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit, all latest updates installed.

System specs:
CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K 3.50 GHz
RAM: 32.0 GB
Video card: PNY GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Keyboard: Wired Logitech G-710+
Mouse: Wired Logitech G-Pro
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD (connected via DisplayPort)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Googled to death, found lots of people with similar issues but none of the troubleshooting steps worked for me.

Thank you in advance! It's a small annoyance, but it's sometimes jarring since the case lights turn on and the fans spin up when this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

Attempted fixes:- Unplugged all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.

Try setting it to sleep and then immediately unplug those two things as well. That'd narrow things down a little more.

WhiteHowler posted:

- Disabled "Allow this device to wake the computer" on the network adapter's Power Management tab
*** Here's an odd quirk: After disabling this checkbox, powercfg still shows the network adapter as able to wake the PC. If I go back into Power Management, the box is still checked. Is there another way to disable this? Could this be the issue? Wouldn't it show up in the Event Viewer if the network adapter were waking the PC?

Maybe, try temporarily disabling the network adapter from the BIOS if possible. See if that has an effect.

Also, make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS as well.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Zogo posted:

Try setting it to sleep and then immediately unplug those two things as well. That'd narrow things down a little more.

Maybe, try temporarily disabling the network adapter from the BIOS if possible. See if that has an effect.

Also, make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unplugging the mouse and keyboard and letting the system sleep via idle time didn't work; it woke back up immediately (or within ~30 seconds). So it eliminated them as a likely cause.

Then I tried disabling the Ethernet adapter. It worked! Both automatic and manual sleep modes worked and didn't wake up until I moved the mouse.

I obviously can't leave my network adapter disabled, so I started poking around in the Device Manager settings. There are two "wake on" settings, for Magic Packet and for Pattern Match, which were both set to "Enabled". I disabled Pattern Match, put the PC to sleep... and it stayed asleep!

So something on my network is sending packets that were waking my PC up. Googling doesn't really tell me what this could be. I don't run any servers off this PC. There are lots of other devices (including PCs) on the network -- would something as simple as another PC looking for Windows file shares be enough to wake it up? Is there any way to check this short of removing devices from the network one-by-one?

I assume I can just leave Wake on Pattern Match off, but I'm curious what might be doing this. It's unlikely (but obviously not impossible) that some other machine has some malware.

Anyway, thanks, problem (generally) solved, since I doubt I need Wake on Pattern Match on my gaming PC.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

So something on my network is sending packets that were waking my PC up. Googling doesn't really tell me what this could be. I don't run any servers off this PC. There are lots of other devices (including PCs) on the network -- would something as simple as another PC looking for Windows file shares be enough to wake it up? Is there any way to check this short of removing devices from the network one-by-one?

I assume I can just leave Wake on Pattern Match off, but I'm curious what might be doing this. It's unlikely (but obviously not impossible) that some other machine has some malware.

Anyway, thanks, problem (generally) solved, since I doubt I need Wake on Pattern Match on my gaming PC.

Yeah, something on the network is doing something. It could be caused by many things but using https://www.wireshark.org/download.html might help you find out what's going on.

But if you aren't going to need remote access to the computer then I'd just leave those options disabled.