Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

worm girl posted:

But man, imagining a version without the exodii, portal storms, pain changes, primer/catalyst split, or charge removal that actually had people working on it sounds nice. Remember when you could sleep in your base without having to hide from your items inside of a cardboard box?

Asking because I'm curious and don't have the base knowledge to answer the question properly: How much of the nonsense could be corrected with a mod? Can you include C++ code in mods or is it all just built on the back of the JSON interpreter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Mods are json-only, so they can only really add content, it's much harder for them to add or remove systems.

Magiclysm and Mind over Matter have support from the dev team and get to make changes to the c++ in mainline to handle what they do. Some of this has been backported to mainline - some mutation abilities use the magic system, for instance.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 7, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ah, RIP. Maybe I can make a mod to re-add the Trickle Charger.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

worm girl posted:

That sounds absolutely awful.

A big part of it is im still learning, and being dead means i cant learn deeper systems. :v: A bunch of 'my character knows this, but I dont' type things you skip over in the beginning, and whats really important and what is not. like how you can die to a horde by being choked to death while not taking damage to limbs.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

winterwerefox posted:

A big part of it is im still learning, and being dead means i cant learn deeper systems. :v: A bunch of 'my character knows this, but I dont' type things you skip over in the beginning, and whats really important and what is not. like how you can die to a horde by being choked to death while not taking damage to limbs.

Learning those things organically without any kind of god mode and very little in the way of guides is an experience I treasure that I can never have again. Play how you like, but consider that you may be cheating yourself out of a string of dramatic deaths and memorable stories.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the players in my RPG version is playing a lumberjack entirely because when he learned CDDA, he decided he was just going to send in more and more alternate lumberjacks until one survived to learn the game. He killed so many lumberjacks. But he was also so excited when he finally learned enough to make it through.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Murder Unicorn on his latest Sky Island mod video said he's going to wait to update b/c of the new pain issues mentioned here. It'll probably take a while to hash it out anyway.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
What bugs me, especially reading the experimental changelogs ('lol it is unrealistic for there to be so many Russian weapons so we're playing around with the KORD that's important for that one bullet bank sidequest'), is that they're doing all this weird minutia that seems like for most players it'd mean nothing or the game's just going to get harder (the pain change, for instance). Yet most of the factions in their design doc are either unimplemented or barely implemented.

As much as I like the crunch of this game, and the difficulty, one of the parts that intrigues me is these factions and how they're dealing with the weird apocalypse going on, as well as the lore (as I'm one of the weirdoes that actually examines every newspaper, flyer, and photograph I find). A lot of stuff in the design document is basically unimplemented, or at least not fleshed out, and in some cases seems unlikely to be.

(As an example of the 'not likely to be,' there was plans for a Skynet sort of faction. But given I haven't seen any robots outside of labs in a while, I have to wonder if they're cancelling that idea.)

There's a lot of cool stuff they could be working on, and I acknowledge it'd be more difficult than the smaller changes they've been doing. The doc talks about being able to join or at least talk to the Hell's Raiders instead of them being always hostile. The Old Guard is meant to be more than the Representative (and if you can actually *find* it without having to debug-spawn it in, a couple of soldiers in the Necropolis). As mentioned, there's supposed to be a Skynet type faction that's objectively terrible to help but they likely give good prizes if you do. Hell, there's talk of some of the monster factions, like the Mycus or Triffids, actually having some story that isn't 'Oh great, there's a Fungal Tower near a place I wanted to check out, guess I'm never going there.' Hell, there's a few names on the doc that aren't fleshed out at all (or if they are, they got renamed in-game), like a group that sounds like they collect knowledge 'Followers of the Apocalypse' style, or some sort of 'Border Guards.'

But instead of doing that, or coming up with other interesting things to explore, they seem more committed to either nerfing, removing, or altering minor stuff (i.e. the 'shotgun update' which removed SPAS-12s and did some minor shotgun work because something something barrel lengths). Yes, it's cool you added another spell to the XEDRA magic system, but outside of a couple of factions I can never find (The Church, the Lighthouse folks) I've basically seen all the questlines. I can't think of the last time they added a cool new location to explore. Maybe the really hosed up labs or the giant monster corpses? Except the corpses don't have much in them worth dealing with the odd monsters inside, and I only ever see the dimensional anomaly labs when I'm using the 'Reveal Map' mode because they're buried in the subway system with the lovely proc-gen labs full of monsters and chemicals that usually aren't worth visiting.

I get it is a sandbox and that means a lot of the fun is up to you to make. And I get that the faction stuff is going to be more difficult to implement. But I'd like to actually see that stuff get implemented, even in baby steps, instead of yet another dozen changes that are a mix of making the early game (or game in general) more difficult as well as adding +.3% speed if you're a XEDRA mod vampire and drank B+ blood that day (I'm kidding but some of those XEDRA changes or spell changes honestly kind of look like that to me).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I personally think CDDA runs into the issue that a lot of post-apocalyptic media runs into, particularly ones that focus on the everyman, which is that if me, joe six pack, can find a random humvee with some ammo for the turret and than just clean out an entire city worth of zeds in an afternoon than what in the absolute gently caress are other people/factions doing.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

worm girl posted:

Learning those things organically without any kind of god mode and very little in the way of guides is an experience I treasure that I can never have again. Play how you like, but consider that you may be cheating yourself out of a string of dramatic deaths and memorable stories.

oh i still play normal characters too! i just get it in my head that this time i want to learn about X so i make Y a non issue while i learn it, then i start over. like i spent 2 months in a basement with primers, catalysts, and using reset needs to see how mutations work and the two part system functions. i dont think i killed a single zombie that game. It seemed to work that some mutations cost more primer, and won't use up more mutagen from the catalyst, but you will end up with an excess of catalyst in your system by the time you run out of primer. so you take two primers just to not waste mutagen. Then you might have a tiny bit of primer afterwards. if it wasnt dangerous from your body trying to rip itself apart, id say 3 primer to 2 catalyst would be best use of materials in one go.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 7, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think the game's biggest problem, both now and overall, is pretty much exactly what Worm Girl said: a ton of huge, very impactful changes get rolled out sometimes based on little more than who the contributor is, then they get left unfinished or forgotten, and along the way none of the major devs even play it.
Like "oh we're changing the hunger system so you need 1000x as many calories, but all foods are going to give 1000x calories." But then they only implement the first part for about a year and Kevin goes "I don't see what the problem is, issue closed".
Or unintentional stuff like a complete revamp to spawning or armor or some other fundamental mechanic that utterly breaks game balance but none of the top devs really care because they haven't played enough to run into it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Night10194 posted:

One of the players in my RPG version is playing a lumberjack entirely because when he learned CDDA, he decided he was just going to send in more and more alternate lumberjacks until one survived to learn the game. He killed so many lumberjacks. But he was also so excited when he finally learned enough to make it through.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Learning what things are made of is so important. Like I had no idea where to get long sticks for like 5 games, then I just spent a while tearing everything apart in my starting house. hat racks get you long sticks and you can turn them into staffs and basic spears with the strings from curtains and kitchen supplies. if you are near woods, small trees can be knocked over for the same. beds when smashed give cotton sheets for bandages, things like that.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Came across a miniature railway out in the country. A bunch of panicked people were running around with some zombies. I hop on the train and see that it has a top speed of 130+ mph. No, that can't be right. I crank it to full speed and am almost instantly flung to top speed whilst literally being on rails. Just going absolute large hadron collider mode on this 2 tile long train engine having the time of my life when I obliterate this panicked person like a Factorio engineer, derailing the train and launching myself out of the park.

Somehow I survived this however I felt terrible about killing this person so I got back in my vehicle and played some video games on my PSP to feel better about my choices.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jarf posted:

Came across a miniature railway out in the country. A bunch of panicked people were running around with some zombies. I hop on the train and see that it has a top speed of 130+ mph. No, that can't be right. I crank it to full speed and am almost instantly flung to top speed whilst literally being on rails. Just going absolute large hadron collider mode on this 2 tile long train engine having the time of my life when I obliterate this panicked person like a Factorio engineer, derailing the train and launching myself out of the park.

Somehow I survived this however I felt terrible about killing this person so I got back in my vehicle and played some video games on my PSP to feel better about my choices.

If it makes you feel better, the panicked folks are already dead - they're in the early stages of zombification and the process is incurable.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Jarf posted:

This is my new favorite Daily Life After the Apocalypse story.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Pain has now been tamped down to be less crippling, make its impact editable inside game_balance.json, and also removed the impact it apparently had on carrying capacity?? Didn't know that was a thing but I'm glad it's gone.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Pigbuster posted:

Pain has now been tamped down to be less crippling, make its impact editable inside game_balance.json, and also removed the impact it apparently had on carrying capacity?? Didn't know that was a thing but I'm glad it's gone.

Wait pain had an impact on carrying capacity outside the impact it caused you due to the reduction of strength?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

Wait pain had an impact on carrying capacity outside the impact it caused you due to the reduction of strength?

Apparently! It was basically double-dipping a debuff.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Well thats nice. I wasn't sure how long it'd take for that one to blow over but I was sort of interested in the beginnings of the muscle strain system so I was hoping sooner then later.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pigbuster posted:

Pain has now been tamped down to be less crippling, make its impact editable inside game_balance.json

Tbh is is how I’d love all of the difficulty and progression things to be done, through settings the player can edit to suit their own tastes (preferably via an in game menu)

Many already do of course, but more would be nice!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Telsa Cola posted:

AFAIK no, they just made it so the strength debuff that pain causes no longer reduces your carrying capacity.

IMO this whole thing is a problem looking for a solution. They're essentially recreating the old system in a way that is way more complicated and getting no benefit from it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Tbh is is how I’d love all of the difficulty and progression things to be done, through settings the player can edit to suit their own tastes (preferably via an in game menu)

Many already do of course, but more would be nice!
Just reminds me of how Kevin personally vetoed the idea of having a "permanent day/permanent night" setting in the options menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Someone really needs to implement a search for the options menu because it's hard to find things even with just the options we have now.