Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Samovar posted:

Tonsil stones. I... Can't quite describe how they smell besides from 'bad' because I can't think of a reference point. Closest I can would be... To imagine if chalk could go 'off'.

those are an infamous smell. volatile sulfuric rot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Maybe not the worst smell but it was one of the most memorable.

When I was young I once borrowed one of my parents cars to go to a festival at the end of summer. They had two cars and this one was rarely used, usually just for groceries. It had been a hot summer. So in the middle of the night me and my friends got back in the car for the two hour drive home and one of them stepped on what turned out to be a packet of brie cheese that had been lying forgotten under the seat (it must've fallen out of a grocery bag) in the sweltering heat for months. I heard the pop and squish and seconds later the smell hit us. Everyone instantly gagged and two of my friends threw up.

That was a long drive home. At least I was sober lol. We had to throw out the mats and the car stank for months anyway despite our best efforts.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Samovar posted:

Tonsil stones. I... Can't quite describe how they smell besides from 'bad' because I can't think of a reference point. Closest I can would be... To imagine if chalk could go 'off'.

What the gently caress even are these *spit* things?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

In high school I worked at McD's. I remember I had to empty the parking lot garbage containers one hot, sunny day. I opened the one at the entrance to the drive-through and was instantly hit with hot air. I didn't even register the smell, I immediately started retching and doubled-over.
I can't say if it was actually the worst smell I've ever encountered, but it was certainly the worst immediate reaction from a smell.

I now work in Healthcare and have unfortunately smelled awful wounds and abcesses.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Someone I lived with got sold on traditional medicine for weight loss and bought ingredients for tea. I rolled my eyes but didn't think anything of it until they started steeping it and the entire house filled with this indescribably sour odor. It felt like I was physically struck and I ended up with a headache for an hour afterwards.

i guess if it grosses you out so much that you couldn't possibly have an appetite then it's an effective weight loss remedy after all

GreatMrPopo
Apr 17, 2003
i love kami-sama
Last summer we had a bit of a fly problem in and around our apartment. our porch opens into this ravine 200 ft wide ravine that is mostly free of humans, so its mostly trees and their decaying organic matter, birds, squirrels, chipmunks and the occasional odd deer or coyote. We also live in the south, so winters rarely kill enough insects; any random warm day above 40-50 F in the winter definitely means we will see at least one or two flies. Summer is many magnitudes worse. So we got the bright idea of getting a fly trap for our porch, one that attracts flies by smell. The smell itself wasnt too bad. eventually it felt like our porch was attracting every fly in the county to my porch; I'd step out into a wall of flies, flies chilling, flies flying, and flies mating in the air. So i was like enough and closed the trap.

Now the way the trap works is that you pour some dry crap into it, add water, and put the top on; the top allows flies in but not out. That thing had a nice several inches of flies floating on top of the liquid when i closed it. It styed closed for a week or two. in the summer. Oneday I was planning top get rid of it and decided to open it. HOLY poo poo that smell. It was the smell of GARBAGE but like in an oven deep in satans rectum. That smell still haunts me, and its one i dont get a whiff of ever, so im thankful about that, but it haunts my memories. Just having it open for 5 seconds was enough for the smell to waft its way into my apartment, and lingered inside for several minutes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I worked in a kitchen with a chef who was a bit forgetful. He bought a case of pork for some sandwich he wanted to put on the menu, and forgot about it in the fridge. I don't know how long it had been in there, but it must have been a few weeks when I found it and disposed of it. It made me vomit right outside the walk-in, and it felt like it lingered in my nose for the rest of the day.

But on a more chronic than acute level, it was the downstairs neighbour I had who made jerky for dogs out of the vestibule/toolshed on our front step. He'd get whatever cheapest, probably-off-already meats he could from small grocery stores, grind it up in blenders and put it in dehydrators, and our front step consistently smelled like rancid meat. He was just a gross dude in general, he liked to do this in the summer with his shirt off and the door open listening at high volume on a lovely little boombox to his mixtape of Metallica and Korn and Drowning Pool and poo poo like that. Nobody deserves to be evicted, but I was very relieved when the landlords managed to boot him.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

The flamingo area of the LA zoo. Any zoo is full of stinks but something about the flamingos on a hot day hits different. I wouldn’t describe it as a strong smell, it’s faint and only if you’re down l wind. I don’t know if it’s their poo or whatever they feed the flamingos but If I get even a slight whiff it makes me retch. Kind of a fishy stale garbage smell.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
When I was a kid, they had a rat die in the walls in one of the rooms at my parents' business. They used to take me there in the afternoons some days after school. They had a couple rooms on that side of the building closed off because they didn't know exactly where the dead thing was so they were waiting for some contractors to find it and cut into the walls and get it out. But being a curious kid I wandered in there and holy poo poo. Even just typing this out I can recall the smell and like, feel it in the back of my throat.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

At my first job I assisted someone with developing a method for determining the concentration of methanethiol in a sample. This is a member of a class of nasty smelling compounds called mercaptans which are stinky as hell sulfur containing compounds that exist in the places you’d expect to see bad smells: feces, rotting bodies and the like.

Anyway I got a whiff of the concentrated standard that was nothing but pure methanethiol and THAT was the worst smell I’ve ever smelled. It’s bad enough when it’s just a component of animal feces but pure, concentrated methanethiol? It knocked me over. The smell made me physically react

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Meme Emulator posted:

At my first job I assisted someone with developing a method for determining the concentration of methanethiol in a sample. This is a member of a class of nasty smelling compounds called mercaptans which are stinky as hell sulfur containing compounds that exist in the places you’d expect to see bad smells: feces, rotting bodies and the like.

Anyway I got a whiff of the concentrated standard that was nothing but pure methanethiol and THAT was the worst smell I’ve ever smelled. It’s bad enough when it’s just a component of animal feces but pure, concentrated methanethiol? It knocked me over. The smell made me physically react

Asking someone "Does this smell like chloroform to you?" in the chem lab is always a funny joke. Except the time someone used ethylmercaptan and stunk out the entire chem building with the hot reek of a natural gas leak so bad the fire department was called.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What does methylethylaldehyde smell like?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

about ten years ago, i left a banana in a messenger bag that i managed to kick under a shelf one night. about... six months later, i started to notice this rank smell from under the shelf. it was so so nasty

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What does methylethylaldehyde smell like?

Like a fruit left in a gym bag too long.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
my own farts after a full day of vomiting from a stomach bug

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Horrible Smells of My Time:
- Fast food dumpster in 100+ degree weather on black top asphalt. I do not recommend you investigate this, just take my word for it.
- Rural BBQ grease trap - Similar story from my misspent youth, and brief employment at a Sysco-serving slop party that had convinced the people of the town it was an “institution.” Literally just a steel door in concrete over a big tank buried in dirt behind the place, not even fenced in. I used to have nightmares about small kids looking inside and falling in there, but knock on wood, that never happened.
- Piss that sat forgotten in an unflushed toilet for five days. I’m usually not squeamish about pee smell, but that burned my sinuses and wouldn’t entirely leave my nose for two hours. No, it was not mine.
- I love fresh durian, but everything anyone ever said about the smell is true.
- Worst smell of my life? A bag of trash I’d left in a garbage can at the far corner of my property for a year when I was struggling with depression. Rain, maggots, horror; I dry heaved as I dumped it all into a contractor bag to spare the garbage men at least a little, and made a sound of despair in realizing at least one rat had drowned in the garbage water at the bottom.

I’m in a better place now, thank you.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 8, 2024

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Working at an animal shelter, we had someone report a little old wandering dog. We went to pick it up, and the poor thing was so matted at her back end that her turds weren’t falling free, and there were weeks if not months of poops caked on to her. It was my job to shave her down.
I wore a mask with peppermint oil, but I still had to take breaks every 20 minutes or so, between attempted soapings, rinsings, shaving a bit more off and calming her down. It took about five hours. There were bugs and maggots and stuff in the mats.
Absolute worst thing I have ever seen - worse than the dead cat in a black garbage bag for three days in summer that I had to microchip scan. At least the cat didn’t feel that.

The dog got vet attention and a nice foster home, and although she was quite old, ended up having a nice time for her last few years. She was quite a pretty little cocker spaniel after we de-poo poo-crusted her.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
many years ago my cousin bought a couple of these mini-bongs, one for me and one for him, which were like a 150 mL glass bottle with a rubber stopper that had a bowl and a hose for inhaling through, i think there might have been another smaller hole for a choke, i cant find a picture of anything like it online. anyway we take it to the amsterdam cafe in vancouver and start smoking. because these things are so tiny the bong water quickly became like bong water concentrate, just an absolutely foul substance. my cousin was fascinated with how foul it was and added a splash of whatever it was he was drinking, either lemonade or snapple or something like that, sloshed it around, and the result was just so absolutely repugnant. then he turns around high as gently caress to these girls sitting at the table behind us, and says to the one closest to him "yo, smell this!" so she does and is completely repulsed and goes "oh my god! why would you make me smell that? why did you do this to me??" as my cousin high as a motherfucker is just howling laughing at what he has done

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

We get stinkhorn mushrooms growing in the yard from time to time and I always get down and smell them. Boy are they rank. I've gotten my 5 year old to smell them a couple times and it was funny as hell. Fortunately she did too and I can still get her to smell one occasionally and we joke retch about it and laugh.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Two stories of horrible smells:

First, I gave a friend a ride in my car, he took off his shoes and the rowdiest musty odor from his feet wafted. It was raining, but I put the windows down because it was that bad. Turned out he reused old socks. I didn't ask how many times.

Several days later, and I'm still smelling it. Turns out, whatever caused the odor had managed to get into the vents. I ended up running the thing full blast while I dumped about a quarter of a can of lysol into the external intakes, and then another quarter of the can ensuring that everything inside the car was sprayed down as well.

Second, I was asked to house sit some cats, put out food, refill water, no big deal, right?

One of the cats decided to either puke or poo poo in the kitchen sink--shortly after the homeowners left, I suspect--and the stink just grew into something that was literally a wall, I had to hold my breath and turn the water on in order to flush the source of the stench to manageable levels. It was just that one time, and it wasn't an issue after, but in hindsight, that wasn't just heinous, it was also probably hazardous too.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Samovar posted:

They’re so bad lol

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ChickenHeart posted:

The stench of festering fish/shellfish guts that was left in a cooler outside for over a week. I swear there was an observable "stench cloud" when we opened that thing up.

After allowing it to "air out" for several days we just cut our losses and threw it out.

Similar story: Many years ago when I was a student I had a summer job at an aquaculture facility. So sometimes (a lot of times) some of their fish die of uncertain causes and they'd freeze them so the veterinary science dudes could look at them later. They had accumulated was a huge plastic tub (like several cubic meters) full of dead fish packed in ice, shoved into the freezer room. The old freezer room in the old building, the one they didn't use much. The one where they didn't notice the freezer unit had malfunctioned because nobody had been in there for at least a week or two. So it was in fact nice and warm in there and the fish packed in ice was now rotten fish soup, with a side order of maggots.

So of course the poo poo detail work had a tendency to fall on the unskilled student labour; cleaning that sucker out was fun.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Not the worst but god I’m glad I haven’t smelled them in years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrus_calleryan

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Not the worst I've encountered, but my jerk cat horked up a particularly nasty hairball at about 5 this morning. When the smell hit me I started gagging super hard, grabbing a random shirt to cover my nose. Managed to not do a barf myself, but I think that's more the fact I had nothing in stomach. Good morning!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Shithouse Dave posted:

Working at an animal shelter, we had someone report a little old wandering dog. We went to pick it up, and the poor thing was so matted at her back end that her turds weren’t falling free, and there were weeks if not months of poops caked on to her. It was my job to shave her down.
I wore a mask with peppermint oil, but I still had to take breaks every 20 minutes or so, between attempted soapings, rinsings, shaving a bit more off and calming her down. It took about five hours. There were bugs and maggots and stuff in the mats.
Absolute worst thing I have ever seen - worse than the dead cat in a black garbage bag for three days in summer that I had to microchip scan. At least the cat didn’t feel that.

The dog got vet attention and a nice foster home, and although she was quite old, ended up having a nice time for her last few years. She was quite a pretty little cocker spaniel after we de-poo poo-crusted her.
Thank you so much for taking care of her :love:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

teen witch posted:

Not the worst but god I’m glad I haven’t smelled them in years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrus_calleryan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoqlYGuZGVM

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

In like 6th grade we were split into small groups and did a little puppet performance based on a book we read. That sounds young for 6th grade but I remember we were behind a little stage of sorts and it was in middle school. Anyway it was me, a girl and this fat kid. I guess keep in mind this was the an era when kids start hitting puberty and get all types of new smells and this was an area with some pretty abject poverty if that matters, but this kid smelled really, really bad. Every day, just an overwhelming BO funk. And we were in real close proximity to each other behind the little stage. To this day I don't remember their names or what we did but I recall both the girl and I gagging and kind of laughing at our predicament. It wasn't like rotting dead rats from the depths of hell but it was right there in our faces and we had to be somewhat stoic about it.

I don't know. Maybe I should have told him he smelled bad. Hopefully he heard that De La Soul song a few years later to wash himself and use a little bit of soap.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
When I was in high school I had an extremely obese teacher in a computer programming class. She had a body odor that was just rancid. Thankfully it didn't travel too far, as long as she was 8-10 feet away it wasn't really a problem. But every day she'd walk around the classroom and watch each of us personally as we worked on our programs. When she would come up behind me it was like getting hit in the face with a cloud of something toxic. It didn't just stink in the conventional sense, it was more like it made the air in the space near her actually unbreathable. It had a direct physiological effect that made your lungs go, "sorry, no thanks."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Work at a laundromat, came in one morning to find that someone had taken a poo poo in the corner by one of the washers.

They ate a lot of corn.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I used to work with a guy who had terrible breath. If he was talking to you it would just about knock you down. Everyone who worked there and had to deal with him complained about his stink. He didn’t seem to care at all.

He found another job or something and quit. Another co worker was cleaning out his cubicle and discovered that the receiver of his office phone was saturated in his foul breath fumes. He tried to get me to come over and smell it myself but I declined. :barf:

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
So some kids in school dissected frogs, some dissected sheep eyeballs, but for some reason we dissected rats. The smell of the embalming fluids in them was god drat nauseating to behold and rooting around a rodent’s innards while it blasted you in the nose certainly didn’t help.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What kind of school still dissected animals in the 2000s?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Ralph Hurley posted:

I used to work with a guy who had terrible breath. If he was talking to you it would just about knock you down. Everyone who worked there and had to deal with him complained about his stink. He didn’t seem to care at all.

He found another job or something and quit. Another co worker was cleaning out his cubicle and discovered that the receiver of his office phone was saturated in his foul breath fumes. He tried to get me to come over and smell it myself but I declined. :barf:
Dental odor is the worst.

I have an unusually good nose which is probably more of a curse than a blessing but goddamn it's terrible talking to someone with bad breath. Flossing, brushing, dental hygiene is really important to me and apparently really important for your health, probably more so than clean epidermis.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Roundup Ready posted:

Not the worst I've encountered, but my jerk cat horked up a particularly nasty hairball at about 5 this morning. When the smell hit me I started gagging super hard, grabbing a random shirt to cover my nose. Managed to not do a barf myself, but I think that's more the fact I had nothing in stomach. Good morning!

Some time ago my cat had at the time unknown hyperthyroid issues so she was wolfing down her food, only occasionally puking up small amounts of partially digested dry food. One day not long after she ate half a can of wet food, I heard loud yowling upstairs, which indicates puke time is near, so I ran upstairs just in time to see her vomiting an ungodly large amount of brown liquid all over the carpet. The puddle of puke was straight dark brown liquid a couple feet in diameter, no chunks or evidence of food. So I ran downstairs, grabbed some towels and carpet cleaner, and go back to the crime scene. I got maybe 5 feet from the mess and was blasted with an incredibly disgusting smell so powerful I immediately began dry heaving. I've cleaned up my share of cat puke/piss/dog poo poo over the years so I don't have a weak stomach but this time it was utterly vile. It smelled like a mix of the wet food (which already smelled like poo poo and was now even more potent) and I'm assuming stomach acid. After about a minute of dry heaving over the toilet I ended up wrapping a towel around my face, taking great care not breath through my nose as I soaked up the puddle. I threw away the dirty towels altogether. I ended up having to rent a carpet cleaning machine to get rid of the brown stain. It probably wasn't the worst thing i've smelled in my life but definitely the worst in recent memory.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When I was a kid, like 10 or 11, we lived in a rented house. The previous tenant was the owner's mom. From what he related, the mom got pretty senile towards the end and canned tons and tons of vegetables. The jars were all still in the basement when we moved in. We decided to clean all that poo poo out. You could clearly see that a lot of it was not canned properly. They had all been sitting there for years.

While bringing up some jars, one of them fell on the sidewalk and broke. The smell hit my nose instantly and I puked within half a second of the jar breaking. I can still remember the smell and weird purple gelatinous pile of vegetables that splattered on the sidewalk.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
On placement in the NHS for my Podiatry degree. A man showed up looking sweaty and pale and generally pretty unwell. He had a filthy bandage on his foot from whenever he'd previously attended an appointment (weeks, because he tended to not show up when he was supposed to)

When the bandage came off his big toe was black and rotten. Completely necrotic, and the smell was loving unreal. Absolutely putrid, and it instantly filled the room. It was all I could do not to puke on the floor right there and then.

Anyway he lost his leg and was dead within 6 months. Don't get Type 2 Diabetes! And if you do have it, don't gently caress around with it. I saw so much absolute horror caused by it in 6 weeks placement.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Working beside the offal pit of a chicken abattoir is the one that sticks with me.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
I grew up on a dairy farm so I've smelled a lot of terrible stuff, like a steel tub full of chicken guts and feathers that was left out in the summer sun for a few days. I had to load that up and dump it in the creek a couple of times and it will make you woozy.

I worked at a small town meat locker and sometimes I got the honor of making dog food. Dump all sorts of pig and cow offal into a big grinder, and catch it in conveniently sized plastic bags to be frozen for dog food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was out hiking in the mountains on a beautiful day, having a great time, when I suddenly walked into a terrible stink zone that almost made me vomit on the spot. Turns out there was a dead moose sitting there in a pond beside the trail, just rotting away. Anyway, that's about it for the story, thank you for finally providing a venue for me to share my rancid moose corpse experience :tipshat: