Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
help i posted this instead of hitting preview

Table of Contents
If you CTRL + F search the code on the right side of these, you can jump to that section.
What the gently caress is this? - WTF101
Buying the Game & Optional DLC - USD101
Clicking with Goons - J4G101

WTF101

Short Version: FPS where you grief everyone.

Long Version: Rust is a unique survival first person shooter by Facepunch Studios, and it is not a fair game. That is what makes it fun.

When you join a server, you are spawned on a beach. You are naked, armed with only a rock and a torch. You will run around, be yelled at, shot, and beaten to death over and over. If all goes well, you might even get to build a shack. Maybe.

You will eventually manage your base's resource, your own food and hydration needs, as well as your emotional needs (shooting people, not an actual mechanic). This game is hard! And it's fun! Your average Rust player is in dire need of going outside, and will often overreact to the most minor of inconveniences. I am actually underselling this part a lot. It's really something else.

Note: If you are streaming or are afraid of balls, you can force underwear on all players in your settings.

As you learn and grow, you'll build a base, find weapons, and inflict the same misery that was pushed unto you. During that time, you'll learn a lot of the game’s nuance and might even figure out a few tricks, too. Unless, of course, you're a forums poster. In which case we can fast-track you through your learning and make you into the griefer you were always meant to be. Seriously, if you've been getting beat up on Rust, join up with a big group like ours! It makes life way easier, and those loses you experience along the way won't be so harsh. It takes a single person a good while to get a decent base going. It takes a group of three or four maybe an hour, if they have some experience. At 6+, it's trivial.

When you play, you are aiming to farm as many pubbie tears as possible. That's it! Loot is fun, but temporary. The memories you'll make while destroying hours and hours of work is the real loot. Or something.

USD101
Note: Most of these include items that can be spawned in-game. Yes, there are advantages to some of these packs, but so long as one person in your group has them, you're good. They aren't really pay to win, but it's hard to ignore the small advantages owning the DLC brings. You can also loot any items added, so if you kill a guy with the Arctic Hazmat Suit, you can put it on and use it.

Rust on Steam
There's only one version of the base game! It does go on sale every so often, usually up to 50% off.

Instruments Pack
Do you like harassing other players? Do you think that door camping is missing something? Instruments is for you!

Craft a handful of stupid rear end instruments, and bother your friends, family and enemies! Yes, they have MIDI support!

Sunburn Pack
This pack was kinda eh. You can wear swimwear instead of being naked (ew) and make a few cool items. Nothing too exciting. Being able to leave photos in-game is nice.

Voice Props Pack
This pack owns. It has a number of dance-themed items and the all-important voice recorder. It will record anything it hears, including player voices, and allow you to play it back. You can also deploy the voice recorder, playing whatever you have saved on a loop. It's funny as hell on a raid or door camp.

Frontier Decor Pack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmtRnb-B7fM
If you like the visuals, easy purchase. If not, you're paying $13 for the barrel storage item. Is it worth it? Probably not, unless you play a lot.

Abyss Pack
This includes a torch that can be used underwater! Otherwise, it's a cool set.

Arctic Pack
Lets you turn a Hazmat suit into a cold weather outfit. Also has two skins! You can technically just wear a jacket in-game for cold protection, but this is still neat otherwise.

Other Skins
In addition to the above, there's a bunch of skins available, both for buildings and your gear! Each week has a limited rotation of items, and after the items leave the shop, you have to visit the Steam Market to find those older listings. Will your items rise in price? Probably not, but it's fun to think about.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
reserved, gonna put a lot of cool learning resources here

Agoat fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 2, 2024

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

J4G101

We have a group started on Discord! It's not just Goons, but gently caress it
https://discord.gg/zJdpYKGmyk

We are currently playing on a server in Europe, however, most of us are American! Turns out European servers are not only easier to play on, but we also get no lag! Weird!

New players are welcome, just let us know you're new. When you join, DM Agoat and let me know you're a goon that got suckered into playing this game. Feel free to bring a friend or five. Whatever! Just don't subject yourself to solo play unless you genuinely like that kind of challenge. It's hard and often just not fun.

Do you have your own group? gently caress you. I hate you and I'm raiding your base. Send me your server info and I'll add it!

Agoat fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 2, 2024

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I love all the weird and creative poo poo they have added to rust as much as I hate that I will never experience 80% of it due to getting wiped.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Jimlit posted:

I love all the weird and creative poo poo they have added to rust as much as I hate that I will never experience 80% of it due to getting wiped.

Come play with us! We literally spent all night wiping bases and making stupid bunkers.

If we get wiped we'll just make another, easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

never forget