Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
College Slice
This legit may be the best update I've ever seen in any game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sashimi posted:

This legit may be the best update I've ever seen in any game.

note to all game devs: simply make game wet

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

note to all game devs: simply make game wet

All those horror games on steam have been getting it backwards this whole time.

Guess this would be a good time to fix my wheel and jump back in.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
We somehow managed to get 20 people in the 'let's test out rain' league session yesterday, that's 2020 levels of enthusiasm and people aren't even stuck at home with nothing else to do this time

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vando posted:

We somehow managed to get 20 people in the 'let's test out rain' league session yesterday, that's 2020 levels of enthusiasm and people aren't even stuck at home with nothing else to do this time

I would have 100% joined but I just rearranged my office and I need to remount some things for my rig still. Soon, I will dance in the rain and crash!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Vando posted:

Bummed I missed it but had some things to do before another league race last night. One new thing we managed to test though was the new SRX car. I said I wasn't going to buy it and of course bought it day 1. But I have a reasonable excuse. I only bought it because my buddy's league is a paved oval/dirt oval series where we use the Pro2 Truck and he want's to convert it to SRX league so we all bought the car.

Out of the box, the thing drives way worse than I thought it would. It has a ton of power and zero braking or turning capabilities. We did a session at USA and the USA setup has the wrong gearing so you only use 3rd gear and also has like 60% front brake or something crazy so you need to tune them up to make them reasonably drivable. If that ends up being a fixed series I don't think it is going to be very popular. In the end most of us had switched to the baseline setup, made a gear change, and dropped it to around 40% front brake to make like mid 22 second laps. Looking at garage 61 looks like my best lap was a 22.6, about a second faster than my street stock times and about a second slower than my late model times.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the rain seems to be very well implemented but it looks like it's gonna finally force me to upgrade my PC too lol

Also, dumb technical question: I'm building a cockpit rn and my temporary desk rig just has the sound coming out the monitor speakers. Is there a way I can make it so all the sounds play out my monitor speakers, but have the spotter audio comes in through headphones? (I can plug them into either the desktop pc directly or the monitor)

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
not sure if there is a way in the default client but you can use crew chief which, imo is better anyway.

https://thecrewchief.org/forumdisplay.php?28-Download-and-Links

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
GT3 on nords = gently caress yea

But I just tried the GTP at sebring and what da hell, almost impossible to complete a lap and that's going slow as fuuuuuuck

Is the weather random for each session? Just curious if everyone is getting Sebring at very wet

Immolat1on fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 7, 2024

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Kvlt! posted:

the rain seems to be very well implemented but it looks like it's gonna finally force me to upgrade my PC too lol

Also, dumb technical question: I'm building a cockpit rn and my temporary desk rig just has the sound coming out the monitor speakers. Is there a way I can make it so all the sounds play out my monitor speakers, but have the spotter audio comes in through headphones? (I can plug them into either the desktop pc directly or the monitor)

Spotter output has its own config in the sound tab in game. You can have the game, chat and the spotter all on different outputs with no addons.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Immolat1on posted:

GT3 on nords = gently caress yea

But I just tried the GTP at sebring and what da hell, almost impossible to complete a lap and that's going slow as fuuuuuuck

Is the weather random for each session? Just curious if everyone is getting Sebring at very wet

It's probably all the bumps on Sebring that are messing you up.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The gtps are also pigs in the wet, way harder to drive than lmp2 or gt3.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I wonder how much of that is setup dependent.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I tried both today at Sebring, using a dry sebring setup with wet tires. The lmp2 felt ok, a bit sketchy, but mostly fine. The GTP couldnt turn, or accelerate in a straight line without spinning up the rears. I'm curious to see the how wet setups change things, but I can see how more power (and electric motor torque) and more weight makes more of a handful in low traction conditions.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Turning the TC up above 10 really helps the GTP. They downforce brake almost like normal pretty well until about 3rd gear then you gotta really be careful.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Today's league race is a test of how long the track takes to dry so having as many people :getin: as possible would be useful. LMP2/GT3/GR86 at Sebring.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

Today's league race is a test of how long the track takes to dry so having as many people :getin: as possible would be useful. LMP2/GT3/GR86 at Sebring.

This session goes live in 5 minutes from this post, race 45 minutes later.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rain is a lot of fun. Ran a couple of the Ferrari races today, with the 100% rain forecast. For some reason the bottom splitters are running dry because it's dry at the start, then pitting for wets. Ran a race where I just started on the wets and was running top 3 after everyone pitted. Sadly I'm bottom split and spun a couple times in the last couple laps when things got real wet, cause I'm a bottom splitter. Only a 15 minute race, no way you want to pit to change to wets, the wets survive anyway.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'd hate to be the one to give anyone any bad ideas... but the Slinger figure 8 has rain. (Also 49 AI pace laps is comical)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
I just did two Spa races, one in the GTP and one in the LMP2 and it definitely seems like the GTP needs a tweak? I get it should be more challenging than the LMP2, but I was a couple seconds a lap faster in the LMP2. And this is with the track "moderately wet." Doesn't seem right for moderate to heavy rain the GTP is that much slower.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
"So I exist in this wasteland, reduced to one instinct: survive."

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Immolat1on posted:

I just did two Spa races, one in the GTP and one in the LMP2 and it definitely seems like the GTP needs a tweak? I get it should be more challenging than the LMP2, but I was a couple seconds a lap faster in the LMP2. And this is with the track "moderately wet." Doesn't seem right for moderate to heavy rain the GTP is that much slower.

Maybe it needs a tweak, but if your struggles were under throttle then the torque from the battery is probably a huge contributor, LMP2 only gets torque from the ICE.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Bear in mind that the GTPs on a dry setup are basically the worst case for wet running, stiffer suspension, heavier, wider tires that hydroplane easier, less downforce, and instant electric torque

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
It could have a lot to do with setup. And while a lot of the difficulty is on throttle, they are just 10x more difficult everywhere. LMP2 I can still push on high and mid speed corners when I find the right line. GTP is death, only death.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
After the successful Sebring race yesterday I've put up a session at Lime Rock for F4 and FF to get people warmed up for the next league season, practice starts in 1hr45m from this post, race ~1hr after that.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
everyone has been saying it but drat, i'm very impressed with how good the rain is in iracing. especially how the track changes, be that getting wetter or drying out.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah the dynamics of the whole thing really make it shine. The puddles are actually puddles!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe I just haven't played enough yet, but one thing I noticed missing is the drag you get from hitting pooling water. I can drive through what looks like some pretty deep puddles and the force feedback doesn't pull like the steering would in real life.