Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Problem description:

The system is pretty new, and had been operating fine for a couple months.

Then, seeming randomly, it stopped booting. It would start the boot process, the bios screen would flash up, then it would power down.

I was able to reset the PC (i.e, reinstall the OS) using the windows startup menu. It then worked fine for exactly one night. During that time, I was able update the OS, all drivers, download and play game software, etc.

The next day, it again failed boot (just shut off). It is even worse this time--things that worked before do not work now. I'm still able to enter the Windows boot menu, but:
- when trying to boot in safe mode, it blue screens with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
- when I try to "Reset this PC" (using any option), it fails immediately and goes back to the windows boot menu
- Now the boot doesn't fail, it just blue screens every boot (with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

Is this just a "reinstall windows and hope for the best" situation? Most searches seem to suggest this is most likely a software issue caused by an update of some sort.

Attempted fixes:
In addition to what I described above:
- I ran the system file checker from the command line in the windows startup
- I re-seated the RAM
- I ran the windows memory diagnostics, it was fine
- Went back to the oldest system restore point
- I removed the only USB device other than keyboard and mouse (speakers)
- chkdsk finds errors in the "uppercase file" but I cannot fix them because the disk is write-protected?

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: Windows 11 Home 64 Bit

System specs: CyberPowerPC Gamer Master Gaming Desktop, AMD Ryzen 5 5500, 16GB, AMD Radeon RX 6700 10GB, 1TB SSD. I think this machine - https://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPow...0WST/1593349367. Seems like it has a MSI motherboard of some sort. It is stock, I haven't added/changed anything.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

gvibes fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

gvibes posted:

Problem description:
the bios screen would flash up, then it would power down

This is important. Did it actually power off? Or did it just reset?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
And yeah this could so far be a lot of things, update, ssd, virus/rootkit/psu, ram, mb, cpu....

If doing a reinstall is something you'd consider, I'd consider it too. If it were in my shop I would immediately disassemble it and power it up as a bare motherboard/psu/single ram/spare donor ssd and do an install while it's sitting on my desk to see if it's the same symptoms.

You could absolutely do the same thing, let us know how comfortable you are inside your system. A reinstall could be done on a spare hard drive for instance, if you have one let us know!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Thank you

down1nit posted:

This is important. Did it actually power off? Or did it just reset?
Originally (both the first time and the second time), it powered off. I had to hard power reset it (hold power for 5 seconds or whatever it is). It was not reset looping. Now it blue screens->boots into windows startup.

down1nit posted:

And yeah this could so far be a lot of things, update, ssd, virus/rootkit/psu, ram, mb, cpu....

If doing a reinstall is something you'd consider, I'd consider it too. If it were in my shop I would immediately disassemble it and power it up as a bare motherboard/psu/single ram/spare donor ssd and do an install while it's sitting on my desk to see if it's the same symptoms.

You could absolutely do the same thing, let us know how comfortable you are inside your system. A reinstall could be done on a spare hard drive for instance, if you have one let us know!
I am fairly comfortable with things (this is the first PC I have bought, not built, in like 25 years). I'm sure I have an extra hard drive somewhere. I will try a different HD and a single RAM stick if a new Windows install doesn't work. Pull the GPU too and rely on the onboard gpu?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh good. This is best case troubleshooting for you then! Sounds like it froze, the screen went black maybe and you had to hold the power button for 5 seconds (which is *the* signal for the super IO chip to cut power).

There is likely one single component gone wrong. It's likely a ram stick?

You get it, work from basics, onboard GPU is not a bad call. Pull the power plug and the cmos battery first before pulling it all the way apart (or do reset jumpers). Sometimes cmos batt is under video card. Be careful with video card. They're almost as valuable as printer ink.