Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
So my kid's birthday is coming up. He's turning twelve.

Here's what you need to know about him (feel free to skip down to the bold headline to get to the main point):
He's on the autism spectrum, which in his case means he has a severe speech delay in his native German, which he compensates rather well by having picked up English via exposure to YouTube and the fact that his parents usually watch movies and TV shows in English. He also often has trouble concentrating and zones out if people talk for too long without anything (visual) happening, or if he doesn't understand what they're talking about. And, like all Kids These DaysTM, he spends too much time on his tablet or on the computer. He scored normal on all his intelligence tests, but he's still very childlike in many things and interests.

In an effort of getting him to practice talking and listening, we've been trying pen & paper roleplaying, which he enjoyed a lot. My wife and I both used to play a lot when we were younger. She was a Vampire The Masquerade gal, I was a Call of Cthulhu guy, we were part of a long D&D campaign during our university years, and we originally got into the whole thing via Das Schwarze Auge, as many German role players did. We also LARPed a little in the past.
So my wife whipped up a few easy scenarios for my kid with very limited stats (strength, intelligence, dexterity), we played a few stories, and he did rather well.

Then I tried going to an actual D&D game with him, and while he had fun, the setting wasn't ideal. The game was conceived as a "anyone can join" type, and the DM did his best, but there were 20+ people at the table, and things quickly got too confusing and bewildering for him - plus he'd get bored because it always took very long until it was his turn to do something.

Next try - which we're doing right now - is an online D&D round via outschool.com. It's a small group (4 kids), the DM is very inclusive and tries to take my kid's limitations into account, but the D&D system is still a little too unwieldy for him. Plus, the other kids are all seasoned players, so he tends to zone out a lot. (Also, it's pretty expensive at $20 per session :ssh:)

Which finally brings me to my point: We would like to offer our kid a semi-regular gaming experience at home, but at the moment, due to a variety of personal reasons, we don't have the time or creative energy to whip up new scenarios every time. Plus, for some reason, he responds to something "official" (i.e. published) better than to something homemade (insert "Can we play D&D" - "We have D&D at home" joke here).

I'm looking for a game system that fulfils the following criteria:
- English language
- Easy-to-understand system with not too many stats and modifiers
- Pre-made adventures available, so we can easily and quickly play more if we want (also an opportunity for future presents and/or rewards)
- Available on Amazon (I know, I know... but I'd like to have it within a certain time frame and as much as I like to support smaller producers, in this special case waiting a month and paying a lot for shipping isn't an option)
- A fun and exciting setting suitable for teens - we're pretty flexible here, as long as it's no horror/grimdark setting. Fantasy is cool and preferred, but I think he'd also dig urban fantasy/magical realism. Pirates - maybe? History - not so much, Sci-Fi - also not so much, but like I said, if it's fun, we'll be able to make it work.

Suggestions are very much appreciated!

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Quest is kind of D&D-like in vibe but very much simpler and easier. I'd recommend it as a a great starting RPG for kids (or adults who aren't familiar with RPGs). I don't think there are any published adventures available from the official site, but you can find ones that other people have made (like this collection - which I haven't played so I can't vouch for it, it's just an example of what I was able to find quickly - or this one I made).

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Tiggum posted:

Quest is kind of D&D-like in vibe but very much simpler and easier. I'd recommend it as a a great starting RPG for kids (or adults who aren't familiar with RPGs). I don't think there are any published adventures available from the official site, but you can find ones that other people have made (like this collection - which I haven't played so I can't vouch for it, it's just an example of what I was able to find quickly - or this one I made).

Thank you!
Sadly, all the books seem to be sold out, but I managed to download the main rule book for free and had a glance through it. It sounds very cool - I especially like the inclusive approach of the world and the focus on player wellbeing, such as the Stop Sign card.
Now to find a place where I can get it printed as a nice booklet :)

EDIT: Dang it, couldn't they have come up with a more unique title? It makes searching Amazon and eBay for used copies practically impossible :psyduck:

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 5, 2024

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
When my daughter was young, we bought her the Explorer's Guide for Savage Worlds. It seemed pretty simple and she liked it a lot, so you might check that out.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I recommend checking out Dungeon World. This is a good video explaining it, but it's a stripped down RPG that focuses on moving the plot forward and having fun. Rules and character sheets are free online and there are a ton of modules on DriveThruRPG. It looks like the rules book is amazon too. I DM'd a few games with some friends a few years ago and it was a lot of fun despite it's simplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Dungeon world! Free, easy, and all about the gaming not the rules