Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i installed a 240v outlet in my house yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

grats on your cybertruck bud

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elder Postsman posted:

the correct amount of volts

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

echinopsis posted:

in australisia we have 240v :smugmrgw:

isn’t it the total wattage that matters anyways? 2.4kw is the maximum power draw

yeah, but most of the time in the US this is going to be ~1.5kw

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
1875w in theory but we also have crumbling infrastructure. i dont like putting more than 70% of the breaker amps on a circuit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
microwaving coffee is legal but that doesn't mean i have to like it

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
somehow it tastes worse after being microwaved

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

grats on your cybertruck bud

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

in australisia we have 240v :smugmrgw:

isn’t it the total wattage that matters anyways? 2.4kw is the maximum power draw

you can’t draw more than 10 amps on kiwi power outlets?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you can try

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wonder if you just replaces the fuses with not-fuses then yeah maybe you can

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ah that explains it lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

you can get 3kw kettles in the uk/europe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:chanpop:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
any kettles that operate more like a heatpump?

get up to like 10kw heating maybe. that's some serious poo poo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

any kettles that operate more like a heatpump?

get up to like 10kw heating maybe. that's some serious poo poo

that would be cool.

my mum has one of those Quooker taps which dispenses instant boiling water, is very nice for making tea.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i have a 1800w kettle and it heats up water fast enough 4 me

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

fast heating kettles are a capitalistic ploy to get you back to work faster. don't use them

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
impatiently waiting 90 seconds for my powerful european kettle to boil and then feeling bad about it remembering americans don't even have kettles

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i boil water in a pot on my induction stove that can do 3.7 kW per zone, op

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

firing up my gas cogen plant for my afternoon cuppa

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ok which yosposter writes for the onion

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
heat pump tech would not work well for kettles i think. delta t needs to be too large. as soon as you involve a phase change, latent heat of blah blah

also on cold days it would cool your kitchen who wants that

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

timed boiling 500 ml just now, kettle did it in 1 minute 49 seconds, microwave in 5 minutes 50 seconds.

and, yeah, since if you do drink tea you'll probably pay the $5 for temperature control on the kettle, and tea is for sure better if you have *some* idea of the temperature (and the minutes you stand in front of the microwave staring at the water will not be a good method).

Do you have one of those weird 200w Japanese microwaves they use for baking? 90 seconds in my microwave gives me 200° on the button, which is low for how I like to brew coffee but is exactly what my wife uses to brew tea. Perfectly reasonable for reheating.

We use a slow American kettle for brewing, microwave is just for reheating.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

heat pump tech would not work well for kettles i think. delta t needs to be too large. as soon as you involve a phase change, latent heat of blah blah

also on cold days it would cool your kitchen who wants that

yeah but think of the VC funding

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Do you have one of those weird 200w Japanese microwaves they use for baking? 90 seconds in my microwave gives me 200° on the button, which is low for how I like to brew coffee but is exactly what my wife uses to brew tea. Perfectly reasonable for reheating.

We use a slow American kettle for brewing, microwave is just for reheating.

as you made me do math at the small hours of (e: saturday morning): gently caress you, never post again

more realistically: you're just wrong.

raising 0.5 liters of water from 10 degrees celsius to 100 (that's from the tap, here, to boiling) requires ~0.05 kWh. which done over 90 seconds becomes 2 kilowatts. and as microwaves are at best around 60% effective unless you have a microwave that draws 3300 watts you're simply full of poo poo.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

as you made me do math at the small hours of (e: saturday morning): gently caress you, never post again

raising 0.5 liters of water from 10 degrees celsius to 100 (that's from the tap, here, to boiling) requires ~0.05 kWh. which done over 90 seconds becomes 2 kilowatts. and as microwaves are at best around 60% effective unless you have a microwave that draws 3300 watts you're simply full of poo poo.

im forming a posse right now to kill them

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

ty.

(yeah i am just pointlessly annoyed, but it was one of those where i was scrolling through before bed and through my own extreme stupidity got distracted into doing numbers)

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

Armitag3 posted:

oh thank god finally

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
microwaving water seems like a weird hassle but it's not going to affect tea quality

microwaving coffee will burn the poo poo out of it and it tastes like loving ashes, get that poo poo out of here