Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

A ruby made from bae's menstrual fluid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific
I told my husband early on, white gold or platinum, and I want my diamond as bloody as possible. Then his grandma died and left him a banger of a rock. He worked with a local jeweler to design a new setting and a matching wedding band.

We toast a glass of champagne on our anniversary every year to the suffering endured so I may get compliments from the other housewives at yoga class.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Worf posted:

id want something you could hook chains into

good quality snow tires still only last a few years. not very symbolic of undying love :rolleyes:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've seen some people get tattoo rings. It might be hard to surprise her with that, though, unless she's a really deep sleeper. But it would obviously fit at least.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

If someone doesn't propose to me with the pink panther then don't bother.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Grey Cat posted:

Close enough?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

grey cat, will you do me the honor of joining my growing collection of spouses?

i can’t offer you top spot at this time, but you may obtain it through trial by combat if you so desire

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Don't do it on Valentine's Day that's basic as gently caress.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

TrashMammal posted:

grey cat, will you do me the honor of joining my growing collection of spouses?

i can’t offer you top spot at this time, but you may obtain it through trial by combat if you so desire

I do!
Let me just get my hand to hand arsenal before I move in.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Grey Cat posted:

hand arse

my favorite bedroom move

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

the other hand posted:

Get her a cheap temporary ring, tell her that it’s a cheap temporary ring and that you can go together to pick out the real one.

For me, turned out she wanted a moissanite ring, less expensive and more sparkly than diamond.

This is all that I exactly wanted to say!

I proposed to my wife with a family ring, and told her that we would later choose a new ring.

And then we also got moissanite. Moissanite is awesome, it's lab grown too, and in nature can be found in meteorites. It's shinier, and almost as hard and whatever as diamond. It has good affordable pricing for fancy rings. I'd definitely recommend moissanite.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Get a giftcard to Jared's and ask your partner to marry you while giving her the card.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Get a giftcard to Jared's and ask your partner to marry you while giving her the card.

Make it a Taco Bell gift card that way you don’t have to feed or water her if she says yes, it will be included in the proposal

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Domus posted:

My engagement ring was honest to god plastic with googly eyes. I suspected I would lose it so I got a pack of 12. My proposal was literally “We should get married the next time the anniversary of our meeting is on a Saturday.” My wedding ring is a plain titanium band that cost $80, because again I figured I would lose it. We’re going on 15 years married now. If she would seriously consider not marrying you because she doesn’t like the engagement ring, that’s your cue to end the relationship.

I'm going to be wearing one of my dad's wedding rings, one of because he lost his ring one time, and went out and bought an identical one (it's just a plain gold band) before my mom found out. She found the original in a pair of old jeans he had stopped wearing a couple years later. She has the other one on a necklace, we don't know which is which.

I was engagement ring shopping early last year, my fiancé and I had been talking about marriage for awhile, she had dropped hints about not wanting a diamond, and preferring opals etc. I knicked a ring she wears often when she left it on the bathroom counter, and used that to size it. Jeweler ordered a bunch of really cool big fire opals and I picked one out, then picked a simple band, and had a couple lab-made diamonds added to accent the center opal (I knew she didn't have a thing for natural diamonds). It turned out awesome, gets all kinds of ooohs and ahhhs from the friends and relatives, and was really quite inexpensive. My fiancé really appreciated that I listened to her, and put the effort in to have something made to her tastes (if she hadn't dropped mad hints I would have gone the "cheap ring for the proposal, get you what you want later" route, or asked her friends and sister about it).

My plans for the proposal kept getting hosed up, so I just proposed while she was soaking in the inflatable hot tub one day.

Here's the ring.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

It’s very nice that she felt heard & listened to

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

You don't choose the ring; the ring chooses you.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Has Three Olives kramered into the thread to explain that marriage is a cold, financial, transaction between two business partners yet?

Bonus points if they've mentioned any of their recent consumer electronic/ smarthome/ appliance purchases.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Poohs Packin posted:

Has Three Olives kramered into the thread to explain that marriage is a cold, financial, transaction between two business partners yet?

Bonus points if they've mentioned any of their recent consumer electronic/ smarthome/ appliance purchases.

I think he had some sensible advice on page one, actually

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Poohs Packin posted:

hes on his 9th marriage so actually he understands how this part works quite well

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Thesaurus posted:

You don't choose the ring; the ring chooses you.

I thought that was cats.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Poohs Packin posted:

Three Olives posted:

That is what marriage is, a tax advantaged financial merger with assorted other legal privileges between two parties and you should do due diligence and sort out any closing requirements before a verbal statement of intent.

Acting like marriage is some magical gesture of love with conquer all is why so many marriages fail.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I think my wife bought her own on etsy back when they sold stuff that real people made outside of sweatshops

For wedding rings we got palladium rings from I don't remember where, maybe also etsy and had them engraved locally

She might be like outlier-level practical though I don't know, she was also the one that really wanted a no frills courthouse wedding with our family with a party for friends afterward (no regrets at all on that after seeing what other people went through planning and executing big weddings)

We didn't spend more than like $1k total on everything, but yeah to echo what the people in this thread said I feel like you should try and find out what your actual potential wife wants

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Poohs Packin posted:

There was a joke on Full House one time where Uncle Jesse is getting married and either Joey or Danny tells I think Michelle that when you get married everyone gives you toasters. Then she wants to hang out with Jesse on his wedding night and the adult like "uhh you can't, they'll be too busy counting their toasters."

just very weird that Full House accurately described Three Olives' wedding and wedding night without knowing it (assuming his friends could actually afford the right toasters)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I spent 2 years researching my wife's engagement ring. In so much as 2 years before I had it, I was doing some subtle probing into elements of rings she liked. I got someone to make a band, then I bought a lab grown diamond separately to have them set it in.

I didn't realize at the time but the brief I gave the designer based on what I thought my wife would like (low profile setting, very small stones around the band, minimal and contemporary details) ended up with a design that looks almost exactly like a $20k Tiffany engagement ring (although my wife's stone is slightly larger), to the point where her clients and other wealthy people have recognized it and given me major props for getting the tiff. Totally unintentional and we didn't look up what it looked like until it happened the third time.
There's worse things. We don't bother correcting them with a 'no actually it's a copy and cost a tiny fraction of that' because who gives a poo poo.

You got to know what she likes and break it down into elements. Lab grown is cool, you can get much, much higher quality diamonds.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

how’d it go, OP? did she say yes? dying to know over here :woof:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

She said no

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Apparently they're doin this thing at jewlery stores now where you buy an engagement ring, and then you buy a wedding ring that like fits into the engagement ring, and then an anniversary ring that fits into those, later.
They're just locking in dumbasses with their lovely megazord ring set.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

your posting pals are here to support you through these dark times, OP :woof:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Worf posted:

She said no

That sucks. Hopefully you are a young guy and try again. Maybe even another time. Third time is a charm.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

no one knows the icy sting of rejection more than your fellow goons :woof:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TrashMammal posted:

your posting pals are here to support you through these dark times, OP :woof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

That sucks. Hopefully you are a young guy and try again. Maybe even another time. Third time is a charm.

I’m 69