Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
this thread's making me wanna try out Godot for real.

also, how's pico8 nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
godot is pretty alright.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

godot is pretty alright.

was waiting for this

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm looking at my godot project again and kinda sorta trying to figure out how to make little rcs jet dealies when the spaceships move. dunno how, it's hard.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hmm I think I'm on to something now but it'll mean putting particle generators all over the ship and I'm lazy

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

A handy trick for position and rotation is to use a null parent with a good center point.

Make the children node(s) all offset on one/two axis and just rotate. Local coordinates and transforms are really easy to reason about from a good center point.

This makes stuff like camera work or dynamic rigs a bit easier too. I'll have a null 3d node always update raw position to match a rigid body to give me a good physics-free following reference.

When I say null I really just mean a generic 2D/3D node

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

It can be really easy to script too. Add some emitter instances in a loop on _ready() and just increase the rotation for each set or whatever

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don't understand any of that but I'll figure it out

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Sorry, I'm bad about that.

If you want to make like a ring of something,
Put 6 of them at like (1,0,0) position and then rotate each one on Z 360/6*number. Or 2pi instead of 360

Then you get a ring of them with a radius of one and the parent node is ready to move as a group

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 17, 2024

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

you can also just use quaternion operations which tends to be the easy way to deal with rotations in 3d

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

i've been using quaternions for a while

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

That always scared my small math brain. I opened the Wikipedia page again and das allota maths

Is it basically using a local vector3 as the axis of rotation? That sounds easier than I thought lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah idk the math godot does all that for me. I just tell it the start and end rotations

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Actually, quats in Godot have a slerpi() function so I'll have to read more later

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i also have a slurpee function

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

love to slerp over here

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

root of all eval posted:

Are there any good spider games? Not man spiders but like spider spiders.

sim ant lets you control spiders

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Silver Alicorn posted:

love to slerp over here

le me, le hirping and le slirping

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I’ve been fascinated with the idea of a “game” like black and white, but mostly just the simulation of people carrying out their lives mostly independent from the player’s actions. they would have random motivations for or against various types of actions that would allow them to thrive or cause conflict. like whether or not to cooperate by sharing information about a food source, or individuals that hoard it for themselves. I know there’s been quite a few ai simulations based around this idea, but to have it in a game where you can control the environment would be neat.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there’s a game called from dust that is kinda like that but small populations

I like the idea tho. i like the idea of idle games, you don’t have to play it, or you can if you want.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

that's just rimworld

alternatively, banished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Fuckin around at my first job we tried to make a flash game called Bangurang Super Baby Battle!! Where you customize giant mech babies that just uneventfully smash into each other firing lasers and missiles in random winner battles.

The art guy at the time would have crushed it too, but alas, we were young and unmotivated