Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Hackers 100%

Mean Girls is...confusing to me as a nostalgic property. The movie is real critical of women's social hierarchies while not examining how the gently caress that might be. The main thesis of the movie is, 'Women, we're doing it to ourselves', which is a very 00s sentiment

Tina Fey wrote it when she was at her strongest as a white feminism elemental and it shows

Tina Fey is a very talented funny person who made some witty af observations on the times she lived in

the times we live in have turned out, like bad in a lot of ways, sometimes it is hard to go back and watch things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

super sweet best pal posted:

I feel like Sneakers had too many secrets.

Time to stop posting, you've got a phone call.

It's your mother

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a shame the documentary on the Hackers bluray isn’t on YouTube or something, it’s genuinely a great watch that goes over a ton of cool stuff including all the shots they used for the intro then the data center and still looks awesome.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i watched Sneakers again pretty recently it definitely holds up. great score.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Tim Meadows has a tiny part in Mean Girls but makes it funny. Overall good movie. However, I never saw Hackers despite being an old so will check it out good job OP.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Mortal Kombat was so good that they eventually wrote a legit video game sequel just to let Cary Tagawa ham it up as hard as he possibly could for a couple hours

And it was great!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Hackers also has the most random rear end array of costumes in any movie ever

I still laugh at Nikon DJing a party while clearly wearing an Aston Villa 94/95 goalkeeper jersey with the badges removed

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dell_Zincht posted:

Nooooooo, it's their most popular track by far but not even close. Belfast would like a word:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHDYyY-2qaI
This whips rear end too.

Earwicker posted:

i watched Sneakers again pretty recently it definitely holds up. great score.
I go on a minor hacker movie binge every autumn, since that's when I fell in love with Hackers, and Sneakers absolutely holds up.

Since John Landis is a piece of poo poo, Hackers finally beat out The Blues Brothers and has claimed the crown of being my favorite movie of all time.

Not the *best* movie of all time. But my favorite.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dell_Zincht posted:

Hackers also has the most random rear end array of costumes in any movie ever

I still laugh at Nikon DJing a party while clearly wearing an Aston Villa 94/95 goalkeeper jersey with the badges removed

There's multiple goalie tops too, a stack of army surplus and some sick vintage biker jackets including a vintage Barry Sheene Suzuki one worn by Angelina.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's like 60% production design and costuming by volume and I loving love it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Pool on the roof must have a leak. :twisted:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm so happy Miller and Jolie are still friends after their divorce. It'd really taint the movie if they divorced because one of them was a monster person.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

IRL hacking is p. boring so i'd rather watch hackers

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Hackers hands down. It made Computer Nerds cool and it had amazing style. Own it love it.

I own all the orbital albums on disk as well.

Favourite album is In Sides followed by Snivilsation as a whole package, but every album has great songs.

https://youtu.be/pKY3emCtaik?si=Si09WzZBXCA-bLob

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bossy lady posted:

IRL hacking is p. boring so i'd rather watch hackers
For all of its bullshit, Hackers is one of the most realistic Hacking movies I've ever seen and I can't understand why people get a bug up their rear end about the interfaces being fake.

Do you really want to watch a bunch of pretty people typing commands into a console for two hours?

But outside of those and your one piece of magic movie bullshit (The Gibson,) everything works pretty much how it worked. You don't just frantically type keys and shout ACCESS MAINFRAME or whatever. They do social engineering, keylogging, they dig through trash for passwords, they use phone booths and taps to keep their family out of poo poo...

There's also an argument to be made that since every character sees their interface differently, that what we're seeing actually is a boring Unix console as filtered through their mind's eye.

It's also the queerest movie I've ever seen to not even mention that we exist. Even its one weird instance of transphobia is offset by them playing Dade in a dress as extremely sexy and desirable to Kate.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

some call it the “persona” of cinema :woof:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

that’s the video game, not the avant-garde swede film from the 60s :woof:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Mean girls is the non-threatening pablum made especially for weak-hearted diaper babies alternative to Heathers.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

heathers is the unpopular girls’ mean girls :woof:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Archer666 posted:

As a slav, Hackers has an amazing impact on my life. For a good 20 years, I thought that American high school life was as cool as in Hackers.

It kinda was, both movies. I was out of high school when Mean Girls came out, but, it seemed real

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TrashMammal posted:

heathers is the unpopular girls’ mean girls :woof:

Heathers is a prequel of American Psycho

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Heathers is a prequel of American Psycho

american psycho is the unpopular boys’ wolf of wall street :woof:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Heathers is the Dark Souls of Mean Girls.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TrashMammal posted:

american psycho is the unpopular boys’ wolf of wall street :woof:

Breetai posted:

:hmmyes:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Breetai posted:

i already said that, op :woof:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

LividLiquid posted:

For all of its bullshit, Hackers is one of the most realistic Hacking movies I've ever seen and I can't understand why people get a bug up their rear end about the interfaces being fake.

Do you really want to watch a bunch of pretty people typing commands into a console for two hours?

But outside of those and your one piece of magic movie bullshit (The Gibson,) everything works pretty much how it worked. You don't just frantically type keys and shout ACCESS MAINFRAME or whatever. They do social engineering, keylogging, they dig through trash for passwords, they use phone booths and taps to keep their family out of poo poo...

There's also an argument to be made that since every character sees their interface differently, that what we're seeing actually is a boring Unix console as filtered through their mind's eye.

It's also the queerest movie I've ever seen to not even mention that we exist. Even its one weird instance of transphobia is offset by them playing Dade in a dress as extremely sexy and desirable to Kate.

Sneakers is a little more accurate but has far less titties. I think the lack of titties is one of the contributing factors to its accuracy, though.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I've always loved both Hackers and Sneakers as a young nerd growing up in the 90's, but the older I get the more I love Hackers. It's the perfect 90's nerd fantasy.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pnumoman posted:

I've always loved both Hackers and Sneakers as a young nerd growing up in the 90's, but the older I get the more I love Hackers. It's the perfect 90's nerd fantasy.

Crash and Burn

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

pnumoman posted:

I always put it as "Hackers is what gets you interested in hacking. Sneakers is more what its like to do it professionally"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bossy lady posted:

I always put it as "Hackers is what gets you interested in hacking. Sneakers is more what its like to do it professionally"

I am unsure you watched those movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am unsure you watched those movies
Their point was actually well-made, punchy, and accurate. Shush.