Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Official Website: http://www.wurmonline.com

Wurm Online is a small indie MMORPG that breaks the rules and tries to do something different. Nearly everything in the game is made by the players. Teamwork and community are essential. You can plan and build your own structures, and you can alter the landscape itself through digging, mining, and forestry, death penalties are significant and meaningful. It's a lot like the ugly bastard child of Dwarf Fortress and Unreal World, but online and with PvP similar to Eve Online on the PVP islands.

Game Features
Let me recap the main selling points real fast:
  • Nearly everything in the game is player made. Everything from tools, carts, boats to weapons to roads to villages.
  • Extensive terraforming system lets you dig, raise, or mine any tile in the game. Forests can be planted, chopped down or converted to desert.
  • Skill-based system eliminates class restrictions and gives full control of character growth to the players.
  • Huge server maps with lots of wilderness to explore and settle. Dynamic LOD lets you see from one end of the server to the other.
  • Teamwork is essential for getting things done. Five players working together will beat fifteen working on their own.

For even more details about the features look here:
https://www.wurmonline.com/features

Goons have had a presence in Wurm Online for well over a decade, and I have been inspired to recreate great triumphs of old.

Once upon a time, Goons entered the ugly forests of Wurm Online, and wandered aimlessly and were murdered by many wolves:

It was decided to build a monument that would make all nearby neighbours be astounded by our ingenuity and so work on Bearback Mountain started, with much chopping of wood and much digging of dirt.

Eventually something great started to take shape, and even highways were built to link it to the rest of this bizarre and strange world:

Our works were great, from building the longest land bridge that had ever been constructed which was done by hauling immense amounts of dirt that we stripped the mountains and hills down to the rock. (Real bridges actually exist now.)

However, Wurm Online has changed much in recent years.

Yes compared to modern day games, the graphics are much to be desired. But the game looks better than it did in those screenshots I posted of past gone days. It actually looks quite good now, with a third person mode available as well.

I think its time once again to build something monumental
Welcome to Bearback Bay: Right now, its a simple plot of land in a great position and much work is to be done to turn this woodland green and pleasant area into the arid desert full of scorpions it longs to be.

So you have decided you wish to join me?
If you got this far, and have decided you wish to join me on this brand new adventure its fairly simple!
The game is available either directly from their website, and it is also available on Steam which is how I am playing it.

If you create a new character you will first have to complete a short tutorial and at the end choose the server cluster and island you wish to spawn on. It is important that you choose the Northern Freedom Isles and then choose the large island Cadence.
You will also then be asked which starting town you want to spawn in, make sure you choose the town of Encore otherwise you will have a very long walk.

Here is a handy map of the Island and with a red mark on the location of the new deed: https://cadence.yaga.host/#2752,2805 as you can see we are just on the northern side of the lake from Encore. A short walk following the main highway will get you here quite quickly. Follow signs for the village of Piter, and then follow signs for Michael Scott Paper Company, the highway will lead you almost directly to the village. I thought it important to be directly on the water so once we build boats of glorious sturdiness it will be easy for us to adventure to the other PvE Isle and the PvP Isle if we so wish. If I am online, I can come and collect you via boat from Encore saving you the walk.

I have also set up a new quick and easy discord channel to make it easier for us to coordinate at the beginning of this adventure, which you can find here: https://discord.gg/9nu6n9UkgM

Once you make it to the deed, I can invite you to join it as a villager.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Jacada fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

In as Akiosann to see what this is all about!

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
I keep trying to move and i end up clicking a bunch of stuff and about 292 menu's pop up

Somehow it's got more people playing it than shroud of the avatar..

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

FreeWifi!! posted:

I keep trying to move and i end up clicking a bunch of stuff and about 292 menu's pop up

Somehow it's got more people playing it than shroud of the avatar..

If you jump on discord I can come and get you from the starting town with my fancy boat!

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I can say with conviction that Wurm is weirdly wonderful. I remember playing even before Bearback Mountain, back when we had a series of tropical island settlements. The first one I remember joining was Bearhamas, or maybe Bearbados.

So many bizarre memories of this game, like when we spent a night singing showtunes at some rando who was mad at us. Or when we convinced the pubbies that we were a hive mind Russian bot colony. It's one of those moldy old games where the playerbase takes it extremely seriously and are really fun to mess with as a result, and sometimes get irrationally angry with you for just doing your own thing.

reresearcher
Feb 24, 2004
In as Gunthrax. Made it to the deed with zero hassle.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Things are starting to come together!

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Lager posted:

I can say with conviction that Wurm is weirdly wonderful. I remember playing even before Bearback Mountain, back when we had a series of tropical island settlements. The first one I remember joining was Bearhamas, or maybe Bearbados.

So many bizarre memories of this game, like when we spent a night singing showtunes at some rando who was mad at us. Or when we convinced the pubbies that we were a hive mind Russian bot colony. It's one of those moldy old games where the playerbase takes it extremely seriously and are really fun to mess with as a result, and sometimes get irrationally angry with you for just doing your own thing.

I spent some good years playing this game, I remember all the names in the screenshots. The (mostly european) playerbase hated us even though we consistently built the most impressive features. Bearback Mountain road (Curtains Memorial Highway [named by me]) became the central road of the entire map, and we were forced to halt construction on it because some dickhead with a shitshack plot refused to move his house even though we offered nicely to move his entire base by hand. His claim blocked the only semblance of public infrastructure on the server and rotted over time, becoming overgrown with thorns planted by our resident botulist Sparr. I never saw him log in.

Now I understand why wars are fought

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Pontificating rear end posted:

I spent some good years playing this game, I remember all the names in the screenshots. The (mostly european) playerbase hated us even though we consistently built the most impressive features. Bearback Mountain road (Curtains Memorial Highway [named by me]) became the central road of the entire map, and we were forced to halt construction on it because some dickhead with a shitshack plot refused to move his house even though we offered nicely to move his entire base by hand. His claim blocked the only semblance of public infrastructure on the server and rotted over time, becoming overgrown with thorns planted by our resident botulist Sparr. I never saw him log in.

Now I understand why wars are fought

Sounds like you want to come and help us build a Goonoasis.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Made a character named DongQuixote and found my way to the Michael Scott Paper Company castle. My curiosity is piqued but I'm useless with these kinds of games most of the time. Also can you change your character's gender? I don't really care that much but I was plopped in as a lady with no customization. Anyway, I took a look at a boat and it said that it could be improved by a log, so i think next time I hop on I'll go chop down a tree and try to be helpful, that seems like an obvious early goal

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Made a character named DongQuixote and found my way to the Michael Scott Paper Company castle. My curiosity is piqued but I'm useless with these kinds of games most of the time. Also can you change your character's gender? I don't really care that much but I was plopped in as a lady with no customization. Anyway, I took a look at a boat and it said that it could be improved by a log, so i think next time I hop on I'll go chop down a tree and try to be helpful, that seems like an obvious early goal

You can change your appearance using the mirror in your inventory.

I would definitely recommend hopping on the discord, if you got to the castle you’re right next to us and everyone has the ability to invite you to the village.

If you’re facing the castle directly, just over the hill to the left is a small dirt path that leads to Bearback Bay.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
In as FreakazoidX

Never played this before, kind of wanted to over the years, figured the sudden goon interest might spur something.

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
Damnit am I really gonna play Wurm again.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Aquarium of Lies posted:

Damnit am I really gonna play Wurm again.

Honestly everyone should be playing Wurm. It’s the only sensible thing to do.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Joining back in and relearning things has been quite fun. If you enjoy games that have a deep crafting component, join in and give it a try!

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender

Jacada posted:

Honestly everyone should be playing Wurm. It’s the only sensible thing to do.

100% true, I'm already in again and loving it. Wurm has always scratched an itch for me that no other game has.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

The game has changed a lot since the Bearback Mountain days, but it still hits that sweet spot of intricate crafting and weirdly zen mechanics for me. There's no better game I've found for playing while trying to focus after a long period of stress. I'm not going to pretend this game is for everyone but if anyone is on the fence it's absolutely worth trying it out to see if it hits the right notes for you.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
As the resident newbie, I have to say the free to play rules suck. Primarily it's the lack of transparency, you don't really know what it means to have your stats/skills limited to 20 until you run into the restrictions while playing.

Some of these restrictions are really stupid, too. You can't gently caress around with cobblestone roads, yet you can make them yourself. You can't knock down your own house walls. You can't operate a large cart. Just really dumb poo poo.

But I am enjoying cutting down trees other players planted juuust outside their claim.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's funny how a little bit of cattle rustlin' and clearcut logging can change my opinion of the game.

The complaints to the managers by the neighborhood karens is a reward with no earthly price.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Freakazoid_ posted:

The complaints to the managers by the neighborhood karens is a reward with no earthly price.

Wurm. Wurm never changes.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

drat, the time to Wurm has finally come. I never played this cause graphics sucked but it does look great nowadays. I will join later today

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's funny how a little bit of cattle rustlin' and clearcut logging can change my opinion of the game.

How dare you leave logs on the ground after cutting down so many trees! That is not the correct way to play!

Oh and bring back those stolen donkeys immediately! If you don’t you will have to speak to the administration!

Both are two examples of events from the last two days. Highly recommend for good time adventures.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Mr. Pickles posted:

drat, the time to Wurm has finally come. I never played this cause graphics sucked but it does look great nowadays. I will join later today

If you hop on discord we can pick you up or find you easier!

Last night we had some major drama with our neighbour a played named Nobligan.
Who was not happy that we had cut down a huge amount of trees to build the Great Wall of Bearback. Apparently cutting down trees in the wrong way is outrageous!

quote:

[19:32:52] <Nobligan> Freak are you stupid or just ignorant?
[19:33:18] <Freakazoidx> the trees must fall
[19:33:22] <Freakazoidx> the bear demands it
[19:33:34] <Nobligan> on other peoples deeds?
[19:33:48] <Freakazoidx> oh, this is your deed?
[19:33:49] <Jacadal> Nobligan,
[19:33:55] <Jacadal> Its not nice to insult people :(
[19:34:07] <Nobligan> No, you have been chopping down at Wakamarinas deed
[19:34:17] <Nobligan> and left everything behind
[19:34:18] <Jacadal> Its not possible to cut down on peoples deeds
[19:34:28] <Freakazoidx> what he said
[19:34:34] <Jacadal> so Waka is lying
[19:34:36] <Nobligan> it is, thats why is called perimeter
[19:34:55] <Jacadal> Sounds like she tried to refurbish her garden and it went wrong but she is to embarassed to take credit for it
[19:35:07] <Nobligan> are you dumb too?
[19:36:11] <Jacadal> rude
[19:36:28] <Jacadal> we don't even know who waka is or where she lives
[19:36:44] <Jacadal> but we are happy to repair the damage
[19:36:51] <Jacadal> if it actually was us
[19:36:52] <Nobligan> You will find out who he is
[19:37:04] <Nobligan> its easy to see who it was..

This tree drama escalated and we were shown our mess in the hope that we would be ashamed!

quote:

[19:48:07] <Wakamarina> who made this mess?
[19:48:11] <Kronika> free logs?
[19:48:15] <Jacadal> i guess its free logs
[19:48:29] <Nobligan> who else would leave logs behind
[19:48:45] <Wakamarina> no sane person leaves logs behind
[19:49:20] <Nobligan> yeah start cutting now jacal.. good call
[19:49:21] <Kronika> maybe there are beavers?
[19:49:36] <Nobligan> tells me alot about you as a person
[19:52:16] <Wakamarina> what a mess with these logs

As you can see, our neighbour Nobgoblin was very unhappy with our treecutting process, and even reported us to a GM who turned up to tell us not to be mean and aggressive about said tree cutting.

quote:

[21:00:04] <Confucius> It's generally considered hostile and certainly not in spirit of good neighbourhood when you rid fellow Wurmians of valuable trees next to their deed
[21:00:55] <Jacadal> so its banned to cut trees in the permeter?
[21:01:04] <Confucius> Thus find wild land instead of cutting trees next to a deed of your neighbour
[21:01:49] <Confucius> It's not banned, nobody complains when you cut the odd tree in perimeter, but you guys don't cut the odd tree, instead you clearcut a whole region
[21:02:01] <Jacadal> yeah cause the palisade walls need so much tree
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[21:09:38] <Confucius> Reasd again, I told you not to clear cut whole regions right next to the deeds of your neighbours, but it seems you enjoy to annoy them
[21:09:40] <Jacadal> i didnt know we could get declared war on for the trees
[21:09:49] <Jacadal> well thats offensive
[21:10:12] <Jacadal> GM's in this game just character slander do they
[21:10:25] <Confucius> Currently your neighbours think that you are the offensive guys

Now after some more back and forth the GM clearly decided it wasn't worth their hassle any more so decided to leave:

quote:

[21:19:54] <Confucius> And with that I hope I got my point across and will vanish into thin air again

A most successful evening, forging friendships with our neighbours! Now its time I get back to cutting down trees... the wall must be built.
The joys of Wurm!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Well, according to reddit and steam reviews the game is notorious for favortism

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Has there been some recent wipe/new continent to justify getting in now?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Jacada posted:

The joys of Wurm!

The problem with Wurm pubbies is they never comprimise, they just whine to admin. They could easily plant a bunch of sprouts and chances are the trees would be fully grown in a couple weeks because chopping sprouts or small trees is not usually done.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pontificating rear end posted:

The problem with Wurm pubbies is they never comprimise, they just whine to admin. They could easily plant a bunch of sprouts and chances are the trees would be fully grown in a couple weeks because chopping sprouts or small trees is not usually done.

It's extreme HOA energy, yes.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Lager posted:

It's extreme HOA energy, yes.

But one of the reasons why I love this game so much.

Sweetbro: Its not a new continent, well its sort of new but there was not a specific reason why we decided to play now. I just remembered it existed, and they made some engine upgrades and I thought it would be fun to give it a go again, and so far it has been fun! So feel free to jump in as well!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Despite his whining to the manager, nobligan can be a nice guy sometimes.

Those oak trees on his perimeter fit well in our palisade walls :smug:

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Despite his whining to the manager, nobligan can be a nice guy sometimes.

Those oak trees on his perimeter fit well in our palisade walls :smug:

He is up and down. He spoke to me yesterday but has blanked me all day today.

The wall is progressing well though! That actually might be why he ignored me today…

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Keep posting pictures imho the best part of the game is seeing the progress

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

The town has expanded quite a bit since the OP so I figured I'd throw a few pics up of our progress.

Here we see the town hall on the left, and my house, The Brewery, on the right hand side. There's a guard tower for protection from the vicious animals and trolls of Wurm.

On the other side of our colony, there's a great hall under construction that will eventually provide lots of spare beds, craft spaces, and cart storage. You can also see the great clay pit.

My obsession this time around has been smith work. I've created a range of tools for the group, along with sets of armor and weapons, including some armor for our wonderful horse. He might be old and fat, but drat it, he's ours.

The current project is a large corbita, a sailing boat we can use to clearcut whole forests and transport the lumber back to town for crafting of goods or sale in bulk. It's a large scale project that might take days or weeks, but sailing with a bunch of dumb goons should be pretty entertaining once it's complete.

Funkygenome
Nov 24, 2007
Been playing on Xanadu and Independence for many years now. Once you get through the early days, this game is chill as hell(unless you have nosey rear end neighbors.) Snagging an island when Glass Hollow Market fell really helped on the nosey neighbor front. They are talking about cross server teleports now, so when that's available, I'll come check out this goon town. I'd love to see the tree cutting drama in person.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Last time I played this I built a galley from scratch and one of the guild officers stole and hid it. They wouldn't even let me look at it because "you wouldn't be able to sail it anyway". Is that guy still playing?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

MrTargetPractice posted:

Last time I played this I built a galley from scratch and one of the guild officers stole and hid it. They wouldn't even let me look at it because "you wouldn't be able to sail it anyway". Is that guy still playing?

Do you remember their name? Most everyone who is in the game with us has posted in the thread I think.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Lager posted:

Do you remember their name? Most everyone who is in the game with us has posted in the thread I think.

Nah, it's wasn't really a serious post just airing grievances because I am a child. Wurm is a fun, weird game, and Goons as always dope to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

MrTargetPractice posted:

Nah, it's wasn't really a serious post just airing grievances because I am a child. Wurm is a fun, weird game, and Goons as always dope to play with.

In that case, you should join up! There's a bunch of pubbies building a set of colossus statues just down the road from us, and they get really sad when you don't talk to them and just fart at them and their statues while riding past.

I do that a lot.