Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Quackles posted:

Who or what is Kari the Kobold?

Mod NPC for Baldur's Gate - I used to be very active in that game's modding scene, and made two NPC mods myself.

Originally it was mostly notorious for being the only furry mod in that community - kobolds in the Forgotten Realms were originally very doglike as opposed to reptilian and possibly related to dragons - but even after that became accepted in the community Kari remained infamous for being an extremely overwrought romance mod that automatically disqualified every other woman vying for the PC's attention if they were in the party because Kari was just that beautiful and wonderful.

Pun-Pun, on the other hand, is from the 3.5E character optimization community, and is a thought exercise using a kobold to twist the rules as written until they squealed to make one of the most theoretically broken characters possible in the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gun Jam posted:

Is the AI always this bad, or only on easy?

The *only* thing the difficulty changes wrt to the crusade is resource income and recruitment numbers. All the battles are the same.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yikes. Kind of glad I missed the baldur's gate 2 era on rpgs.

Dare I ask what mods you made? If that's not too personal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drakenel posted:

Dare I ask what mods you made? If that's not too personal.

I made two.

Darian is a lovely brooding handsome loner dude I wrote when I was in high school.

Valerie, on the other hand, remains talked about positively by goons to this day. She was for BG1, and her BG2 component (including ToB) was about 80% finished before stuff happened and the project died. A goon asked for and received all her WIP files for BG2, so maybe she'll get finished someday. Nerdy lesbian sorceress in the awkward position of being a Lawful Good representative of the Cowled Wizards, who are very much not Lawful Good.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
If anyone is curious about the kind of insanity involved in the construction of Pun-Pun, here you go:

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pun-Pun_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build)

There have been a few versions of him, but that should give you the idea of the sort of thing that's involved.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pun-pun is a aesop about the dangers of unchecked rule bloat and feature creep. I've know irl people who wanted to play a character like him. Imagine the 'wow cool robot!' meme but for game mechanics.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Pun Pun is hilarious but it's basically purely a thought experiment.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If I had 5k to spend on one of these games, I’d make my inserted NPC the following-

a) a party member. Complete a short side quest to recruit them, it’s not much drama beyond the immediate and then you have a badass Druid or whatever.

b) a decent person.

c) a hot no strings attached romance option if you’re into them and easy to shut down if you’re not. You can also friend zone them if you prefer. Minimal drama.

I guess my custom NPCs run more towards the dlc types than the usual NPCs we get in these games. If we got the option to recruit Crinukh, Kaylessa, or that pirate backer NPC from Kingmaker as a companion, or any kind of lasting reward, I bet players would be a lot more forgiving of them. Just an idea.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

If I had 5k to get my own custom NPC, I'd make a random crusader that goes 'wow, look at this cool new thingamabob I got! it'll surely get me through the crusade!' then on the next big battle setpiece you find an unnamed corpse with said thingamabob on his body.

Bonus points if whatever it is would have been really helpful an hour ago, like something to deal with the swarms at Leper's Smile long after you've been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Could go full-on Smith the Horse from Ultima. A character that shows up and gives you mysterious and insightful hints... shortly after you've finished the relevant questline. Every time they swear they'll get you good information next time and run off, only to come back to do it all over again.