Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
IRC is a system, Discord is a company. There are both tech and philosophical reasons to stay on IRC for the main group

Oh, and of course huge congrats on the performance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it pretty much comes up every year and every year it's no, we have to stay on IRC because of a lot of detailed reasons that if you want them rawillkill can give them to you but he's probably really tired of running them down over and over lol so yeah just accept this is the way

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

if you use an irc client instead of the web you can usually set it to auto login or at least you have a place other than an active chat to type commands like /register and stuff, basically a terminal window where you arent exposing typos to anyone else

and congrats trivial fursuit - ive watched this for year from afar and super cool to see you guys come in 2nd this year!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: loving beaten, like Dads Computers do to us every year. :argh:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The 500 pointer sounds exciting. Can anyone share a brief rundown?

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Has there been any talk about switching to Discord in the future? To me it seems like a much more user-friendly experience that folks these days are more used to than IRC -- personally, I feel much more comfortable with its auto-login than risking a typo that spills my password to the entire chat.

e: or is this unworkable for some reason I haven't possibly considered, I admit I am an irregular trivia participator

first and foremost, i will never let people forget this, but discord has gone down during the contest before and im not going to run that risk.
years (over a decade...) of tools are designed to work in and around irc and porting them to discord is a LOT of work.
i fully recognize irc is archaic and not as "user friendly" as discord is, however irc is open-source and we are not beholden to anyone company or service.

if for some reason synirc goes down, we already have a self-hosted irc server ready to migrate to, and none of the tools need to be rebuilt since it's just another irc instance.

discord auto-expands links, images, etc. im sure there are settings to fix that behavior, but irc works out of the box.
irc uses 15MB of memory on my machine while discord is sitting at 500MB.

regarding your irc password: it does not need to be overly secure or one of your "usual" password. simply use "ninjapassword123" and that is plenty sufficient for the one time a year you join IRC. your registration expires after 60 days anyway.

if for some reason discord changes their api, or shuts things down (look at early slack bots vs today), then literally immediately our bots are useless. and someone (me) has to do a ton of heavy lifting to make them work on whatever new service we use.
you cant just "move" them to another chat service since all of the apis are unique (e.g. a slackbot doesnt work on discord, doesnt work on msft teams. etc).

so to answer your question, no. we will not be moving to discord in the future. we have an off-season discord, we admittedly did a poor job of advertising it this year. that's my bad.

i am sending you a dm with an invite to it, its fairly active over the whole year

Propaganda Machine posted:

The 500 pointer sounds exciting. Can anyone share a brief rundown?

we cannot discuss it publicly. i am also sending you a dm with an invite to the discord.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
It's not a curmudgeon thing, it's a stability thing. If you want to get closer to Discord functionality then there are clients that let you do things like inline image expansion, link detection, automatic picture paste upload support, etc. Including web clients and mobile apps.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Discord, when it comes right down to it, is just IRC + Mumble with a bit of video functionality on top.

They even acknowledge this is the settings:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the simple explanation is that irc loving rules and discord sucks poo poo

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
irc is Thunder Island and Discord is Babysitter Boogie

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Nobody's denying that discord has its uses. It's our primary way of staying in contact through the rest of the year. But it's not for trivia. The biggest reason imo is all our stuff is built to be used in IRC. To reiterate ra, porting all of it would take a ton of work, more than the people who work on it need or want to spend on it.

All of the reasons are very valid though.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
i think it would be worth the time to port all our tools over to discord if it were actually a better and more effective system to use during the contest. but it's just not

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, Discord has already begun their enshittification phase in earnest.

This means they're starting to feel that they'll run out of VC money eventually, so they're pushing their subscription service harder - except that''s never worked for anyone else who started with a free service, so like every other VC funded company that runs out of money, they'll either IPO and end up with a capitalist board of directors or they'll sell to a FAANG-like entity who'll gobble up the data and eventually shutter the service for NewDiscord.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I Greyhound posted:

irc is Thunder Island and Discord is Babysitter Boogie

IRC is Oz and Discord is DAC

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey now, DAC got us 2nd.

I suppose discord threads could be useful for organizing each question during the contest, making it easier to go back and debrief etc, but that's about it. And who wants to read all that anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the only discord features I'd kind of like is the ability to vote for a particular proposed answer via react emoticons and the ability to search the history of a channel going back months/years, but we manage without that stuff reasonably well and there's so much poo poo in discord that I don't want cluttering things up during a lightning round question

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

the only discord features I'd kind of like is the ability to vote for a particular proposed answer via react emoticons and the ability to search the history of a channel going back months/years, but we manage without that stuff reasonably well and there's so much poo poo in discord that I don't want cluttering things up during a lightning round question
The second can be accomplished quicker with grep'ing IRC logs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think during the heat of the question hours most of us regs don't have an easy way to grep the IRC logs, but maybe that's not really needed and maybe one of the tools can do that actually and I just didn't know it

the use case I am thinking of is like, "hey didn't we talk about this movie three years ago, it wasn't the right answer but I feel like we were lolling about it and there was a detail uh, might be the answer this time" kinda thinking where it's very useful in discord to be able to just type that movie name into the search bar and see every previous discussion about it ever

not an extremely important thing to have I just sorta feel like it could be nice

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

rawillkill posted:

we cannot discuss it publicly. i am also sending you a dm with an invite to the discord.

:stare:

Curiosity intensified.

I don't use discord very much but I'll go ahead and fire it up at some point soon. Thanks for the invite!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A lot of chat and decision making runs way too fast for formal polling. Sources are usually pretty clear if we actually find them, and if it's something less obvious, consensus is easy to measure simply by being in chat.

ra and the phone team usually have it sorted.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I don't know how Discord's average latency is these days, but when running against the clock in a contest, it's hard to beat the speed of IRC.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Speaking of phone team, we hit (I think) a new record of 91 calls for one question. Plus we kept the no double call streak alive!

We had a BUSY phonebank this time around.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Whenever y'all are done I'm gonna goldmine this but I'll let you finish up

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My t-shirt arrived just in time for the goldmine!

It is AMAZING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

HEY JUST A REMINDER if you want any memorabilia for our second place victory, there are still stickers available (see my previous posts for links)

All proceeds are going to the radio station