Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i know it is *used*, but i think it is software in the x11 category where it was basically a mix of being a bad knockoff and each original idea in it making it worse. there's tons of options for terminal interfaces though, and lots of them are great.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

curses is classic unix-ism - "abstract everything away until it's a chore to actually use"

matti
Mar 31, 2019

matti posted:

it's a library from 1978 before unix even had asynchronous interfaces

this is a lie btw because terminal i/o was specifically the first async interface added to unix

see <termios.h> and VMIN and VTIME

just wanted to correct my earlier post that was factually wrong

matti fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 17, 2024

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Sweevo posted:

curses is classic unix-ism - "abstract everything away until it's a chore to actually use"

i think it's more that its from that awkward era when you still needed to heavily conform your abstractions to the machine you were programming against, for performance reasons, but you still wanted to make it abstract drat it! so it is kind of bad at being "near the metal" so to say and also being portable both

mind that in late 70s and early 80s unix was super loving slapdash also

matti
Mar 31, 2019

but the video game "rogue" was partly co-developed with the library so at least something good came out of it

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
What does poetry provide vs. using pip, requirements.in / requirements.txt, and python’s built in venv manager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Poopernickel posted:

What does poetry provide vs. using pip, requirements.in / requirements.txt, and python’s built in venv manager?

95% of the time, really nice dependency resolution. 5% of the time, a giant messy headache. I prefer to manage my venvs outside of poetry

the cool kids are already switching to uv