Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Imagine how lame Bryce would be in either of those clips.

*shudders*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nervous posted:

Does that make you a Play Bo?

You've met his cousin Place.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Nervous posted:

Does that make you a Play Bo?

Just the progeny of Playboi Carti.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

lol goddamn loving Bryce young

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I should really thank Bryce, every time he used his legs it was more tense for me than any horror movie I'd seen last year. I thought I was gonna see him turn to dust but to his credit he survived it all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I thank Bryce and Tepper every day

quote:

Panthers get: Quarterback Bryce Young

Bears get: WR DJ Moore, OT Darnell Wright, CB Tyrique Stevenson (traded up to No. 56 pick), QB Caleb Williams and a 2025 second-round pick.

:allears:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
https://x.com/nfl_memes/status/1784224101189509224?s=46

Could the ones at homes be staged? Sure. But the live ones at the stadium full of hardcore fans groaning and hollering in disbelief are great too.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

They are in Win? No mode

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Michael Penix rules, he doesn't deserve this :(

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

seiferguy posted:

Falcons gonna Falcon.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Calling it now, Penix starts more games than Cousins this season.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
after them videos CJ is probably my favorite QB. Texans, "lets roll" -9/11

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

I don't think that's much of a prediction.

Biggest question is if Penix can stay healthy after Kirk goes down.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TheKingslayer posted:

You’re essentially just calling a Cousins injury then because they didn’t pay $100m to not start him for at least two years

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Is Kirk even going to start the season? His achilles did explode halfway through 2023.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Gonz posted:

Is Kirk even going to start the season? His achilles did explode halfway through 2023.

they wouldn't have signed him to that contract if they didn’t expect him to be ready. he might have a setback but that money is a pretty good indicator

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Idk I could see a word where they sign Kirk thinking he’s probably ready to start the season but also might need the backup to start the season while the Achilles gets right.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Idk I could see a word where they sign Kirk thinking he’s probably ready to start the season but also might need the backup to start the season while the Achilles gets right.

Even if that’s the case, then TELL KIRK. Don’t leave him hanging wondering what the hell his new team is doing even before he takes a snap for them.

Just stupid thinking all around.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Even if that’s the case, then TELL KIRK. Don’t leave him hanging wondering what the hell his new team is doing even before he takes a snap for them.

Falcons.txt

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I am convinced that Terry Fontenot is a Saints plant.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

you don't give him that contract if you expect him to miss September

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gonz posted:

I think Wandler said that too, and while I don’t 99% believe it, there is a 1% of me that makes me wonder.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Silly Burrito posted:

Oh I don’t disagree. I was just responding to the discussion above. I think it’s reasonable to think Penix may play this year.

indigi posted:

you don't give him that contract if you expect him to miss September

Why not?

If you don’t have a qb and could magically get Josh Allen or Trevor Lawrence for two years, but he has to miss the first September, do you reject the opportunity?

Personally, I would take the upgrade at QB but maybe I’m just built different (FORD tough).

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gonz posted:

Eh, the Falcons have a lengthy history demonstrating they can Falcon things up all on their own without any help

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Oh I don’t disagree. I was just responding to the discussion above. I think it’s reasonable to think Penix may play this year.

Why not?

If you don’t have a qb and could magically get Josh Allen or Trevor Lawrence for two years, but he has to miss the first September, do you reject the opportunity?

Personally, I would take the upgrade at QB but maybe I’m just built different (FORD tough).

If I'm getting Josh Allen in October, I'm not drafting a QB at 8, I'm signing a bridge QB thats a decent backup QB for maybe 5-10 mill that can hopefully win 1-2 games and be competitive.

Getting Penix at 8 isn't like a crazy move on its own (it's a reach, but if they didn't have a starting QB, its a reach that makes sense, like the Broncos getting Bo Nix). It just makes not much sense when combined with the Cousins contract. Especially not when the GM/coach come out and say they think they are in win now mode and thus won't have high picks for the next few years. If you are in win now, there's so much talent there at 8 that would actually help you win.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Somehow the Falcons reminds me of when the Seahawks gave :20bux: to Matt Flynn then started Russell Wilson.

I'm not sure the results will be the same though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dexo posted:

I thank Bryce and Tepper every day

:allears:

Jesus Christ that trade STILL isn’t over, there’s a 2025 second left? :lol:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Android Apocalypse posted:

Somehow the Falcons reminds me of when the Seahawks gave :20bux: to Matt Flynn then started Russell Wilson.

I'm not sure the results will be the same though.

It was a bit different because Russ was drafted in the 3rd and was expected to play backup at that point with the hypothetical of being a starter after a few seasons (Flynn was signed for 3 years). People didn't expect Russ to outplay him in preseason.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Docjowles posted:

Jesus Christ that trade STILL isn’t over, there’s a 2025 second left? :lol:

That trade helped convinced me that Ryan Poles is a good GM

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Gully Foyle posted:

If I'm getting Josh Allen in October, I'm not drafting a QB at 8, I'm signing a bridge QB thats a decent backup QB for maybe 5-10 mill that can hopefully win 1-2 games and be competitive.

Getting Penix at 8 isn't like a crazy move on its own (it's a reach, but if they didn't have a starting QB, its a reach that makes sense, like the Broncos getting Bo Nix). It just makes not much sense when combined with the Cousins contract. Especially not when the GM/coach come out and say they think they are in win now mode and thus won't have high picks for the next few years. If you are in win now, there's so much talent there at 8 that would actually help you win.

Okay?

I was responding to the notion that <a team wouldn’t upgrade at qb if the qb had to miss a month>

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I agree that neither the Cousins contract or the Penix pick are bad individually, it's just doing both at the same time is monumentally stupid.

Like you either think Kirk is good to go and you draft to address one of your many other needs, or you're comfortable starting one of the second tier QB prospects this season and you use your FA money to address one or more of your many other needs. Hedging by doing both makes the team worse, players unhappy, and makes the GM's job less secure. Now you look stupid even if one of the two QBs is great. You either wasted a 1st round pick or wasted your entire FA budget on a backup. Then there's the doomsday scenario of neither being good which puts them dangerously close to being the Panthers.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

seiferguy posted:

he's old, his knees are both hosed, and his big selling point (pro ready can start day 1) is nullified by the fact that his team just spent 9 figures on the guy in front of him

it doesn't have much to do with penix, he's just an incredibly bad fit on the falcons when they had other, much bigger needs that they needed to address with that pick

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Blind Pineapple posted:

I agree that neither the Cousins contract or the Penix pick are bad individually, it's just doing both at the same time is monumentally stupid.

Like you either think Kirk is good to go and you draft to address one of your many other needs, or you're comfortable starting one of the second tier QB prospects this season and you use your FA money to address one or more of your many other needs. Hedging by doing both makes the team worse, players unhappy, and makes the GM's job less secure. Now you look stupid even if one of the two QBs is great. You either wasted a 1st round pick or wasted your entire FA budget on a backup. Then there's the doomsday scenario of neither being good which puts them dangerously close to being the Panthers.

the falcons seem to have made roster decisions based on the idea that cousins would miss 7 games a season and penix would step up and be okay, and that this is just sort of how things would be

they have elected to, in the popular parlance, build around the idea of "hosed"

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Declan MacManus posted:

the falcons seem to have made roster decisions based on the idea that cousins would miss 7 games a season and penix would step up and be okay, and that this is just sort of how things would be

they have elected to, in the popular parlance, build around the idea of "hosed"

I think the underlying notion has merit.

More QBs missed more games per season in the last two seasons than they have in recent history.

The longer regular season, the playoff chances, and new safety protocols does imply QB1s are going to miss more time.

Having a good qb2 seems valuable.

Then of course it all circles back to the discussion of the Falcons in particular… and welp lol.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Declan MacManus posted:

he's old, his knees are both hosed, and his big selling point (pro ready can start day 1) is nullified by the fact that his team just spent 9 figures on the guy in front of him

it doesn't have much to do with penix, he's just an incredibly bad fit on the falcons when they had other, much bigger needs that they needed to address with that pick

That's the point. He is good player (not sure if it will translate to NFL, but he looked great on the Huskies last season), but is catching a bunch of flak because Atlanta made a terrible pick for a bunch of reasons. So his NFL career just starts with the media and fans making GBS threads all over him because the Falcons are dumb as poo poo. He worked his rear end off to reach that point and I feel sorry for him based on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I can squint and kind of almost see the logic of taking the guy you think can be your QB for the next 10+ years if you really believe he is sitting there. Michael Penix specifically being that guy for all the reasons of age and health and skill concerns is where they lose me.

I also have major problems with the argument that they’ll never be this bad again. First of all you are the Falcons why would you say something like that lol. What in your history suggests good decision making and results are coming? And separate from “lolfalcons” you know what makes it a lot more likely that you’ll be as good as you’re claiming to be? A goddam stud player at a position of need. Or a trade back for several of those from a team that actually needed to draft a QB real bad. Not a guy who won’t play a snap for 3 years if your master plan goes off perfectly. If you’re so confident that this is your Super Bowl window push all chips in. Don’t plan for 2027. This rationalization is dumb as hell.