Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Samovar posted:

It's kinda the same with the ED-209.

That scene with the kid and doing the robot was extremely charming. It's moments like that which can really help push a game over the line.

I'm having such trouble parsing this message. I keep reading, "ED-209 and the kid are extremely charming", and I'm like, are we talking about Robocop 3 here? Because I used to have it on VHS. And I used to watch it, because it was somehow acceptable for me to watch as opposed to the other two movies...?

It had ninja robots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

While this seems pretty solid in terms of gameplay and videogame plot standards, what I'm genuinely enjoying most here is the little side pieces showing Robocop just doing ordinary police stuff day to day, when he isn't dealing with a major motion picture-worthy crisis. Aside from being charming, it makes me a little nostalgic for the old police quest games and their emphasis on being procedural. Of course this isn't trying to be particularly accurate or educational, but looking into details of day-to-day policework and how robocop wold deal with the mundanity is a great foil to the otherwise heavy stuff around corruption and going loose cannon to save the day.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 4, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

painedforever posted:

I'm having such trouble parsing this message. I keep reading, "ED-209 and the kid are extremely charming", and I'm like, are we talking about Robocop 3 here? Because I used to have it on VHS. And I used to watch it, because it was somehow acceptable for me to watch as opposed to the other two movies...?

It had ninja robots!

Sorry, should have put some kind of a divider between the two paragraphs. I was referring to the kid asking Murphy to do the robot, and him doing it, as what was charming.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

White Coke posted:

I wonder how much of Stonehenge is going to be used to make Delta City.

... Not sure what this is in reference to, the only Stonehenge I can think of that's relevant is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzbMBk8J-c

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Episode 12: Resistance

I can't believe Becker would lie to us about the whole domestic terrorism thing! Oh, wait, yes I can.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Volmarias posted:

... Not sure what this is in reference to, the only Stonehenge I can think of that's relevant is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzbMBk8J-c

I imagine it's a reference to Halloween III; Dan O'Herlihy played the villain in that. His toy company put little bits of Stonehenge stone in holiday masks to kill kids with magic.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DMorbid posted:

Episode 12: Resistance

I can't believe Becker would lie to us about the whole domestic terrorism thing! Oh, wait, yes I can.

What's in the box, DMorbid?

What's in the boooxxxxxx?????

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 13: Be Kind Rewind

VHS tapes (but no LaserDiscs)! Paul Verhoeven references! Interventions! Vehicle repairs! Hostage rescues! Tattoos! Politicians! Torch Heads! Vultures! This episode has it all (except LaserDiscs)!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

"Music by LABORO DOLORE"
"Story by ADIPISCING ELIT SEO DO"

Pretty sure the poster behind Pickles used Lorem Ipsum for the various roles. :v:

Also, saw someone on twitter point out that the P-Roxy poster is also a Black Lagoon (anime/manga one) reference somewhat, with how the character is posed and holding the dual pistols.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 7, 2024

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That "homeless by choice" bit at the start really has the taste and smell of the Reagan Era.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

That "homeless by choice" bit at the start really has the taste and smell of the Reagan Era.

So... Perfect for Robocop?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh yeah, they understood the assignment perfectly.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Terminator Resistance was a bit rough around the edges, but had a lot of charm - seems like a good choice for the IP.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 14: Ghosts from the Past

CLICK HERE for cut commentary version!

:siren: Photosensitivity warning: Flashes of static throughout, especially 17:09 - 17:51 :siren:

We found out where Wendell is, so now all we need to do is--[SYSTEM ERROR]

I'm not going to be regularly making cut commentary versions of these episodes, but I figured some people might want to enjoy the atmosphere of this part without us talking over it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
One of the better [REDACTED] sequences I've seen in a long time because it makes so much sense and fits nicely into what we already know about Robo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Boy, the Murphy's had a really shallow kitchen sink.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

DMorbid posted:

Episode 14: Ghosts from the Past

CLICK HERE for cut commentary version!

:siren: Photosensitivity warning: Flashes of static throughout, especially 17:09 - 17:51 :siren:

We found out where Wendell is, so now all we need to do is--[SYSTEM ERROR]

I'm not going to be regularly making cut commentary versions of these episodes, but I figured some people might want to enjoy the atmosphere of this part without us talking over it.

I'm sad they couldn't get more of the actors from the first movie. Kurtwood Smith would have been brilliant!

Still, at least Peter Weller got to do more than just Robocop. Still sounded slightly robotic though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I think Weller just sounds kinda old there, which certainly makes sense because the guy is 76 years old.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

berryjon posted:

One of the better [REDACTED] sequences I've seen in a long time because it makes so much sense and fits nicely into what we already know about Robo.

Yeah, I think my yardstick for these sorts of things is Max Payne, which I guess isn't a very high bar. In any event, a big part of Robocop is that he's still reliant on very experimental and glitchy technology, and also that being killed and resurrected (or near enough to) is hella traumatic and it really speaks volumes about the setting when you consider that the psych support he's getting is mostly about performance evaluation with a token "so how are we feeling" on top of it

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yeah, I think my yardstick for these sorts of things is Max Payne, which I guess isn't a very high bar. In any event, a big part of Robocop is that he's still reliant on very experimental and glitchy technology, and also that being killed and resurrected (or near enough to) is hella traumatic and it really speaks volumes about the setting when you consider that the psych support he's getting is mostly about performance evaluation with a token "so how are we feeling" on top of it

Which Max Payne, and which sequence? Because the Blood Maze in 1 was awful, but the bit where he goes meta about it being a comic or a video game was tops. And Max Payne 2 was just overall great storytelling.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Max Payne was awesome except for the blood mazes. 2 sucked because of the convoluted plot. 3 was awesome all around. My opinion.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Max Payne was awesome except for the blood mazes. 2 sucked because of the convoluted plot. 3 was awesome all around. My opinion.

Aw.

"Max, dearest of all of my friends."

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Somehow not as good a line as all the others in the first and third games imo. But enough about that, this is a Robocop thread. He was tossing out great one liners and tanking damage long before Max Payne was ever conceived. :)

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Somehow not as good a line as all the others in the first and third games imo. But enough about that, this is a Robocop thread. He was tossing out great one liners and tanking damage long before Max Payne was ever conceived. :)

Kurtwood Smith though, more than Frank Welker.

Did I already post the video about "Bitches, leave"? Because that was great.

Mind, most quotable movie ever is probably The Crow. That's full of one-liners.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 15: The Future of Law Enforcement

Hey, these guys look familiar. As I was gonna say before I got distracted, the screaming skull in the RoboCop 2 scene apparently inspired the Revenant design in Doom 2016, as id wanted something that looked a bit goofy.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love how that ends up at the end of the video.

That whole big fight and then it turns out to be a presentation that backfires horribly and makes you look even better.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I like how the successful demonstration would have resulted in the destruction of the one working version of an OCP product. Absolutely perfect.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

DMorbid posted:

Episode 15: The Future of Law Enforcement

Hey, these guys look familiar. As I was gonna say before I got distracted, the screaming skull in the RoboCop 2 scene apparently inspired the Revenant design in Doom 2016, as id wanted something that looked a bit goofy.

I don't think I quite understood what happened at the end there. Does Robocop arrest Becker? Is he allowed to (Robocop being an OCP product and Becker being an OCP executive)?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

painedforever posted:

Does Robocop arrest Becker? Is he allowed to (Robocop being an OCP product and Becker being an OCP executive)?
I'd assume that testing an army of killer robots on a police officer would normally be considered something of a violation of the law, but no, Becker isn't getting arrested (RoboCop, as you guessed, can't do it due to Directive 4). Becker did get humiliated in front of OCP's mayoral candidate and wasted lord knows how much of OCP's money on this little demonstration, but that's all the consequences he's seeing from this stunt.

This whole thing does at least suggest Becker isn't working with Wendell and the brain-stealing crew, because his robots don't need brains and he never wanted them to have any. This was his project, and whatever Wendell's thing is all about, Becker doesn't seem to be involved with any of that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 16: Wendell's Confession

We pay a visit to Wendell in prison to find out who his OCP contact is, but of course it's not going to be that simple as we discover Wendell has another trick up his sleeve...

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It is kinda weird that there's crime evidence in the prison, but the implication may be that it's corrupt. Although if it is, you'd think the warden would be less happy to see RoboCop. :iiam:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

malkav11 posted:

It is kinda weird that there's crime evidence in the prison, but the implication may be that it's corrupt. Although if it is, you'd think the warden would be less happy to see RoboCop. :iiam:

I tend to treat it as "crunch". Like, it's a collectible, it doesn't really mean anything aside from XP.

I mean, if we're looking for "fluff", I've read a good number of stories that suggest that a lot more illegal activities go on within prisons than you'd think. It's like finishing school for criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There are a lot of reasons America should really be rethinking its approach to prisons but that is one of them, yes.