Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Will Smith was well into his arb years and got a long term deal. So maybe locking up Rutschman RIGHT THIS SECOND isn't as important as O's fans would have you believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Inspector_666 posted:

One of the reasons I've bounced so hard off soccer I think is how much people in the US just cargo cult fandom from Europe. There's the NYCFC vs Red Bulls games which are the Hudson River Derby and people I know who were all born in the US will say "darby" and it's so fuckin' dumb.

Quoted for extreme truth.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It’s weird to say it but Rutschman is kind of old for a player in his service bracket

He’s less than a year younger than Austin Riley, who’s been in the majors for four years. He’s older than Vlad Jr, who’s a FA next offseason

I could see a long-term megadeal going south for him relatively quickly, no matter how good he is right now. I normally sneer at the O’s cheapness but I think there’s a case for going year to year with him unless he’s offering a major bargain

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Giants should be interesting, at least.

They weren't bad last year! They were in the wild card until they faded in September. But we went overboard with the moneyball approach, and it was time for a change. Three-fifths of the rotation was opener+bulk guy. Zaidi notoriously hates big SP contracts, but you can only get so much out of Jake Junis and Ross Stripling. And the constant platooning was just too much. It's hard to root for a team where the whole lineup gets subbed in the 5th inning.

So for the first time in his 5 years, Farhan spent in free agency. But in a very Farhan way. No mega contracts, no Judge or Ohtani signed until they are 40. Instead we got a Cy Young and a Platinum glover... on short-term deals with opt-outs. A 25-year old KBO MVP... can he hit for power in MLB? A RP who throws 103 mph who we're gonna convert to a starter. And of course Zaidi had to make at least one trade with his buddy Jerry DiPoto, so we swapped Mitch Haniger and Anthony DeSclafani for Robbie Ray, who's recovering from TJS.

So this is what the '24 Giants look like:

Infield
C: Patrick Bailey
1B: LaMonte Wade
2B: Thairo Estrada
SS: Marco Luciano
3B: Matt Chapman

Wade and Estrada are Farhan reclamation guys, and they're OK. Luciano should be the opening day shortstop IMO, it's time to let him sink or swim. I already love Chapman's defense.

Outfield
LF: Michael Conforto
CF: Jung-Hoo Lee
RF: Mike Yastrzemski/Austin Slater

Lee had a great spring. So did Luis Matos, who might take over one of the corner spots if Conforto or Yaz sucks. Conforto exercised his option, and if he's ever gonna be the guy he used to, now's the time.

DH
Jorge Soler. Dingers.

Rotation
Logan Webb
Blake Snell
Kyle Harrison
Jordan Hicks
Keaton Winn

Holy poo poo we signed Snell lol. Alex Cobb returns by the end of the month, and Ray should be back around the ASB. Hicks looked great this spring. He hasn't succeeded as a starter before, but this FO loves tinkering with pitchers. It could work...

This is the year where the first big prospects of the Farhan era are key parts of the team. If Harrison, Luciano, Bailey, and Matos, not to mention Lee, can step up, the future looks bright. If not... sooner or later, Farhan will be on the hot seat.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

gonna need to see the behind the scenes shenanigans that went on while making this
https://x.com/Mariners/status/1773053632050835829?s=20

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 27, 2024

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

will_colorado posted:

gonna need to see the behind the scenes shenanigans that went on while making this
https://x.com/Mariners/status/1773053632050835829?s=20

Good Lord. Instant top 5 all time M's ad?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

So for the first time in his 5 years, Farhan spent in free agency. But in a very Farhan way. No mega contracts, no Judge or Ohtani signed until they are 40.
Interesting choice to frame repeated and very high profile snubs from this class of player as a deliberate choice by Farhan

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
My entirely pulled out my rear end predictions for the season:

Astros 94 wins and into October.
Bullshit their way into the ALCS which they take in 7.
Beat the Dodgers (or whomever knocked them out) 4-3.

I don't know about the rest.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Mets/Brewers postponed https://twitter.com/SNY_Mets/status/1773056180585152623?t=45zbaBpAwRJ033bJaqoIfA&s=19

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs 162-0 optimistically, 150-12 pessimistic

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

:toot:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Popete posted:

Cubs 162-0 optimistically, 150-12 pessimistic

:hmmyes:

Also shocked that Yanks fans like the deal for the Herti Berti Man, he’s a one trick pony offensively and not especially good defensively. Must be pretty down on Oswaldo Cabrera I guess

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Astros already leading the AL West :toot:

because the standings are in alphabetical order of the city

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phillies/Braves as well

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Astros already leading the AL West :toot:

because the standings are in alphabetical order of the city

As it should be

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Dameius posted:

As it should be

It should be ASSHAT to start the season if only for the A's getting a day in "first."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bregor posted:

:hmmyes:

Also shocked that Yanks fans like the deal for the Herti Berti Man, he’s a one trick pony offensively and not especially good defensively. Must be pretty down on Oswaldo Cabrera I guess

He's a 100 OPS+ utility man. Cabrera can't hit at all.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

N: Brantley throwing out the opening day first pitch for the Astros

V: Owns, as does Uncle Mike

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/YankeeWRLD/status/1773036795787124940

lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Singlehandedly made the Sabathia trade not a total failure for Cleveland

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

meet the team thread, let's go effortpost about our cheap-rear end, lovely teams.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057296

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

we made it friends

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057306