Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I have an IIS server that I use as a text box for PHP development and I am having a problem where I'm writing PHP code and refreshing my web browser isn't reflecting the most current changes. It's making it a pain in the rear end when I'm trying to debug something and I'm seeing the cached version of the PHP file on the screen.

It's a Windows 2016 server running IIS 10 and PHP 8.1.6
I'm using both Firefox 123.0 and Chrome 121.0

I turned off caching in IIS (Output Caching - Edit Feature Setting - uncheck cache and kernel cache)
and in Chrome (Inspect - Network - Disable Cache)
and in Firefox (about:config - network. http. use-cache - false)
as well as refreshing the page using Ctrl-F5

How can I permanently turn off caching so I can speed up my debugging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I can recommend explosions. No server, no caching

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Is your domain on Cloudflare?

If so, put it in development mode and/or turn off proxying in the DNS section for the A/CNAME records you're accessing.

---------------------------- AI says:

To disable server-side caching on a Windows 2016 server running IIS 10 and PHP 8.1.6, you can follow these steps:

1) Disable Output Caching in IIS: It seems you might have both client-side and server-side output caching enabled1. You can disable server-side output caching by removing the output caching rule from your IIS configuration1.

2) Configure Client Cache in IIS: You can set the <clientCache> section in the <staticContent> section of your IIS configuration as follows1:

code:
<staticContent>
    <clientCache cacheControlMode="UseMaxAge" cacheControlMaxAge="1.00:00:00" />
</staticContent>
3) Disable Caching in PHP: In your php.ini file, you can disable caching by setting or modifying certain values. However, the specific settings can vary depending on the caching method used (like opcache, APC, etc.). For example, to disable OPCache, you can set opcache.enable=0.

Remember to restart your IIS server for the changes to take effect.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 10, 2024

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Are your HTTP responses' headers including a sensible value for cache-control? Even if your server is backed by a CDN (though I'm reading your question to suggest IIS is running locally), a value of no-store or something of that ilk ought to bypass its cache.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
For browser caching issues, I've had great success by using incognito/private windows for debugging.