Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cinematic Trailer (pretty good representation of the flavour in game, except for the 3d models)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-cn6VINDbQ
"Gameplay" trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvQA1P3Akrk

Solium Infernum is a remake of a 2009 turn based strategy game, with a heavy focus on well designed player interaction, hidden information, and action economy. It has been updated with new graphics, an approachable user interface, modern multiplayer (the async play implementation is one of the best I've seen, completely effortless), and slightly updated mechanics. The flavour is top notch in the new version as well, with some fantastic 2d art and flavour text. It has functional single player gameplay and AI opponents, but the main focus is on multiplayer.

You play as an Archfiend, vying with several others to become the next ruler of Hell. This is not a simple matter of conquering your rivals though: Hell has a complex laws and a system of ritual combat that you must* follow. Wars are short with well defined aims.

Archfiends
There are 8 Archfiends to choose from, and they have fixed starting stats and a special ability. You get to pick 3 slots worth of relics to boost your powers. These range from small boosts to ritual power (1 slot), major starting stat boosts (2 slots) or victory altering relics like the Crown of the Kingmaker (3 slots) which lets you pick another player near the start of the game - if they get voted the winner at the end of the game, then you win instead. You start at the lowest rank of Baron/Baroness/Baronex and can trade off prestige for power during the game.

Your stats determine what actions you can take, how many actions you can take each turn, the quality of tribute you receive (the simplest way of getting money), and how powerful certain actions are. In short boosting these is a high priority.

The Map

The main way to win the game is via your prestige after a certain number of turns. There are many ways to get prestige - two key ones are Legion combat and controlling Places of Power, both of which play out on the hex based map (there are three styles at the moment: grey with ravines, grey with a big pit, grey with a volcano).

Diplomacy
You can interact with your opponents in a number of ways, but cannot generally just declare war on them. Instead you may insult them, demand tribute from them, make deals with them, and in multiplayer message them (666 character limit). This system is best in class in terms of design and balance - in the few games I've played online, when demanding tribute I've been both paid and rejected numerous times.

Bazaar
All the Legions (units) and Praetors (Heros) in the game are unique, and must be purchased that the Bazaar. The combat system is simple but deep, with Legion and Praetor powers changing Legions from cheap chaff to monsters if the right pieces can be put together. And of course, your Rituals as an Archfiend can tilt the balance in your favour.

Events
On a rota you get event cards - these are one of the main sources of randomness in the game, they can range from symmetrical effects to randomly destroying another Archfiend's Legion.

There are a bunch more mechanics I've skipped (dueling, scrolls, Pandemonium) but it's surprisingly easy to get going while being hard to master. I've had a lot of fun in the few days since release, there are a few bugs still but nothing unexpected from such a small studio, and the multiplayer community is lively. I'd strongly recommend it personally as a fan of strategy games - they've taken the core components of so many of these and whittled them down to just the fun, impactful parts. You'll almost never find yourself doing minor busywork, almost every choice feels like it could shift the direction of the game.

If there's interest I'd love to get a goon game going as I think that would both be a lot of fun and have the best chance of getting to the end without someone dropping out.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I haven't picked this up yet, but having played the original I can recommend it as a solid game with a cool theme.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Woops, there's already a thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054615&pagenumber=1&perpage=40