Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
so everyone knows phi is the fibonacci thing where as you progress through the fibonacci series the ratio of consecutive numbers approaches it.

BUT the coolest thing about phi imo is that its the limit of the simplest continued fraction

so its one of those things where if you see a pi crop up there's a circle involved somewhere and if you see phi crop up there's an interated system in there somewhere

anyway, post your Phun Phi Phacts here, in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

phi yi yi...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there’s a great numberphile video on this and it points out that some irrational numbers can be more irrational than others

and so when constructing up a continued fraction, for example pi

very quickly we’ve got that /292 and that particular part of the fraction is so tiny, it barely alters the value at all, and everything beyond that has only that tiny amount of influence over the end value

that tells us that pi, while irrational, is not terribly irrational as far as these things go

and so going as far as we can in the other direction, dividing by the smallest number possible so it has the greatest impact on the final value, well, it’s what rotor posted.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
using 0.618 or 1.618 is the number (of a full rotation) to rotate things by to make sure you have the least amount of overlap possible (for example a plant growing petals on a flower)

and when you do this, you’ll notice spirals, and if you count the number of a particular kind of spiral, it’ll always be a fibonacci

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in fact the very first post in the educational youtube thread is about that very thing

here’s the numberphile video

https://youtu.be/sj8Sg8qnjOg?si=MKAJjPdCpuXMrD2c

and lol at least just watch the intro of this one

https://youtu.be/1Jj-sJ78O6M?si=9gaYn4HZ1lV_v0yl

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there are only 5 worthwhile numbers

pi, phi, and e

bonus points if you tell me the other two

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

pi, phi, and e

i have a degree in math and I can assure you that the other two numbers are 4 and 200.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
think harder

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

pi, phi, and e

i and j

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
one of the ladies i was good friends with in college eventually rushed phi mu and she got the letters on her door and i would always rearrange them to 'I HUMP' at night then she would find and yell at me during breakfast. good fun. thats my phi story for the phi thread

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

this vid is activating me

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

graph posted:

one of the ladies i was good friends with in college eventually rushed phi mu and she got the letters on her door and i would always rearrange them to 'I HUMP' at night then she would find and yell at me during breakfast. good fun. thats my phi story for the phi thread

lol

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
i'm the sweeping cutoff filter w a small bit of resonance

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

so everyone knows phi is the fibonacci thing where as you progress through the fibonacci series the ratio of consecutive numbers approaches it.

BUT the coolest thing about phi imo is that its the limit of the simplest continued fraction

so its one of those things where if you see a pi crop up there's a circle involved somewhere and if you see phi crop up there's an interated system in there somewhere

what’s an interated system

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

rotor posted:

didn't read but pretty sure that Lateralus by Tool covered this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7JG63IuaWs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used
to like phi but I sort of don’t know what to do with it