Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Problem description: I’ve had an ASUS TUF FX505DU GTX 1660ti gaming laptop since 2019; I’m planning on upgrading to a new PC at some point this year, but for now, it still works well enough for most games I want to play (especially as I play more older and indie games than recent AAA releases anyway). I recently moved to a larger apartment and hooked up my laptop to a 4K TV for the first time (HDMI 2.0 port on my laptop with an HDMI 2.1 cable for output), and I was surprised to discover that any game I try playing seems to be capped at 30fps if I play it in exclusive fullscreen at any resolution higher than 1080p. I first noticed this issue with Saints Row IV Re-Elected, and encountered the same framerate cap at full 2160p, 1440p, and even 1920x1200; my GPU obviously isn’t bleeding-edge, but it’s still a fairly old game, and 1200p clearly isn’t a big enough difference in pixel count over 1080p to explain such a massive decrease in performance. More curiously, I’ve since tested multiple games out and been able to verify that this issue only appears when playing in exclusive fullscreen, with no such 30fps cap in windowed or borderless modes in games that support them, or run borderless by default. I’m guessing that there’s some option in Nvidia or Windows display settings I missed that’s somehow forcing a 30fps framerate cap, but I haven’t been able to find it yet, and my Google searching so far hasn't turned up an answer; can anyone here offer a fix?

Attempted fixes: Restarting my PC, changing Windows' refresh rate for my TV from 30fps to 60fps, switching back and forth from "secondary display only" to "extend" modes

Recent changes: I recently upgraded to Windows 11, and the TV and cable are new.
--

Operating system: Windows 11

System specs: ASUS TUF FX505DU, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen™ 7 3750H Mobile Processor (4-core/8-thread, 6MB cache, 4.0GHz max boost), NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660Ti, 6GB GDDR6. HDMI 2.0 port with 2.1 cable

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Most likely your monitor is running at 30hz. HDMI 2.0 IIRC does have enough bandwidth for 4k60, but only at 8bits per channel color. Check how your monitor configuration is set up, particularly in the Nvidia control panel.