Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

I have a keen distaste for stand up comedy.

Get a load of this guy. Hey buddy, the bus to "BORINGSVILLE" leaves at 4 oh 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

redshirt posted:

Get a load of this guy. Hey buddy, the bus to "BORINGSVILLE" leaves at 4 oh 5.

Please don't heckle me this is my first set.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Please don't heckle me this is my first set.

Oh sorry, I didn't know you were trying to be funny.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
:(

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Well I laughed

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

redshirt posted:

Congrats! But don't give up the dream completely. Maybe one day....

...what?

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Making up a joke or bizarro hot take and thinking drat people should pay me for this

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Writing jokes for money is great

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Poohs Packin posted:

Im not afraid to go there. I say what other comics wont. Im taking the gloves off. Im raw and uncensored with no holds barred takes. Put the kids to bed and dont tell momma because this time im letting it all hang out with jokes that are too hot, too raunchy, and too jaw dropping for prime time. Youll poo poo your pants with your mouth open. Its anything but PC.

There’s plenty of material that is hilarious but not suitable for the stage.

When I first did standup there were sometimes a few “workshops” before an open mic started. It was basically just a bunch of the comedians having a few drinks together and bouncing ideas around. We’d throw anything out there that we weren’t sure about, especially if it was really dark or horrible. And the other comedians would help out and give notes. A lot of stuff would get huge laughs, but everyone would agree there’s no way you could do it on stage. Other times they’d help you soften something up that was borderline to make it better for an audience.

I think part of the art of standup comedy is to write jokes that are funny without the audience knowing you. That’s why “edgy” jokes work around your friends and family, because they know you and know you’re [hopefully] kidding. If an audience has no idea who you are then they are way less likely to suspend their disbelief for you and laugh when you say something that crosses a line.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Comedian lamenting about their crippling low self esteem and how they are funny as some kind of protection and self defence and how they doubt themselfes so much allright man,
you don't think you got a desired product here well gimme my money back then literal sharlatan

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Just talking shop and punching down on minorities and the gays with my peers of my field.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I think if you do dark and edgy stuff you gotta commit to it and go over the top so it's clear you're being satirical. Like Bill Burr jokes about genocide but since he jokes about sinking cruise ships and not forced sterilization it's easy to get away with.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Bill Burr makes alot of jokes about women or LAADIIES but then he goes haha but no haha they'r great he loves women

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jimlit posted:

Just talking shop and punching down on minorities and the gays with my peers of my field.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Anyone who claims to be a fan of comedy and cant appreciate ADC needs their head checked.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Anyone who claims to be a fan of comedy and cant appreciate ADC needs their head checked.

AAAAOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH I agree with you though

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Well, tonight I’m heading to my first open mic in 15 years. Even if I die up there at least I’ll be able to hear some actual funny people and drink a few beers :guinness:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Good luck!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

would you shoot a heckler dead?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

cumpantry posted:

would you shoot a heckler dead?

It's legal in Texas

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Well, tonight I’m heading to my first open mic in 15 years. Even if I die up there at least I’ll be able to hear some actual funny people and drink a few beers :guinness:

Hell yeah!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Thank god :widowsnypa:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

What a rush!

Went better than expected and made some new friends. I’ll try and do this on the regular from now on.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Post some jokes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

What a rush!

Went better than expected and made some new friends. I’ll try and do this on the regular from now on.

My man! How was the crowd? Busy? How was your reception? Details please.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
People say Hollywood is creatively bankrupt, but those people haven’t seen fast and furious 14. I haven’t seen such a creative tour de force since Spider-Man 8 am I right? Is this thing on? I have to leave? Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

redshirt posted:

My man! How was the crowd? Busy? How was your reception? Details please.

Crowd started out with about 35 people (most of them other comedians waiting for their turn). I was literally the last person up for the night, so by the time I went on the crowd dwindled to about 10.

There was a good string of comedians through the middle of the list that kept the energy going. But the three guys up before me bombed and the audience was getting tired. That seemed like a worst case scenario for me, but for some reason it boosted my confidence.

I got some good laughs in. Of course, my favorite punchline fell flat, and my least favorite killed. After my set a couple of the other comedians came over and gave me some compliments, which really appreciated. It sort of felt like I was being “invited back” into the scene if that makes sense. Looking forward to doing it again in another week or two.