Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Me and Ladytaint have been watching some Hell's Kitchen and MasterChef lately, and every now and then on those shows the subject of turnips comes up. When they do we always say "we should give turnips a try sometime" and then promptly forget about it. But last week I went ahead and looked at some recipes. I found a lot for roasted turnips, simple enough, but then I found this recipe for Cinnamon Apple Turnip soup and decided that sounded weird but easy enough that I gave it a go.

And it turns out that we both like turnips! The soup was great, it kinda tapdanced on the line between sweet and savory (though more time on the sweet side of the line IMO) and we had it with some turkey and swiss sandwiches on fresh bagels.

So post ITT and commit to eating and/or cooking a dish or at least an ingredient you've never had before. Tell us what you're gonna do and report back when you've done so. In keeping with the Hell's Kitchen/Masterchef frequent dishes, I will try making Parsnip Puree this weekend, though I might not use that exact recipe, I wanna look at a bunch of others and see what people do with it. I am pretty sure I've never had parsnips before, and certainly not as their own side dish. But carrots are my favorite vegetable and I think maybe I just wanna try the rest of the root vegetables I can get my hands on. Not entirely sure what I'll put with them yet, but I've also never cooked a steak before so maybe I'll try that too.

Let us know what you're going to be making or tasting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Chump soup

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Found some weird bugs in the garden. Could always see if they're edible :shrug:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Might get around to some recipes from that Natural Harvest cookbook everyone’s always talking about.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Gf wants to try a one pot chicken pasta thing these weekend. We will see how it goes.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
i cant remember if ive ever eaten a turnip

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
real post tho, was watching that new david chang thing on netflix and the ribollita he made looked bomb as hell so probably gonna make that soon

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I had to get 120g of protein a day in me for the last month and I have come to loathe protein drinks and bars. I still need to eat high protein but at least not that much.

I’m back on board with the rice and beans lifestyle. Just looking for different exciting ways to eat real food.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

N. Senada posted:

I had to get 120g of protein a day in me for the last month and I have come to loathe protein drinks and bars. I still need to eat high protein but at least not that much.

I’m back on board with the rice and beans lifestyle. Just looking for different exciting ways to eat real food.

oikos PRO greek yogurt is pretty dece if youre trying to stuff in some more protein, like 24g for like half a cup i think

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
i just eat lots of chicken and a huge breakfast. i get 120-150 g/day

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Parsnip Puree was extremely good when my work paid for it at the Capital Grille. I should try making that too

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The last new food I tried was cucumber flavoured Lay's from an asian supermarket, and they were abominable. This endeavour is fraught with peril.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I made some focaccia bread. it was amazing.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

N. Senada posted:

I make yellow lentil daals or chickpea and paneer tikka masala all the time. Both are incredibly easy and a way to get protein without consuming tons of ground beef or powdered nonsense. You can make them difficult and grind your own whole spices and cook down your own curry base, or you can just go buy the jarred stuff.

A fair bit more complicated, but another way to get protein in a more interesting way, is mapo tofu. There’s ground pork in that, but tofu is at the centerpiece of the dish.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I did chicken l'orange the other night and it was incredibly delicious. Surprisingly so. 4 ingredients to make the marinade, let it soak for a bit, then bake. A whole new way to cook chicken!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Parsnip Puree was extremely good when my work paid for it at the Capital Grille. I should try making that too

Parsnips are S-tier but I feel like they get overlooked

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Nooner posted:

oikos PRO greek yogurt is pretty dece if youre trying to stuff in some more protein, like 24g for like half a cup i think

Thanks for the rec, that with granola is going to be my breakfast for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

gonna try making lobster ravioli with a lemon cream sauce tonight or tomorrow hopefully