Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RSX11M
Sep 21, 2016

The Leader in Efficient Realtime Processing
i didn't see a topic so you can post about old computers in here, i think that might be fun

pics, videos, marketing, personal projects, anything goes as long as it's not too modern (90s is pushing it unless it's a sparc/alpha/etc box)

kicking it off with the most beautiful homebrew build i've ever seen, one of three this guy owns

pictured is a completely homemade wire-wrapped pdp11/05:

he also has a homebrew lsi11 and pdp8, both also wire-wrapped, and the pdp8 is used to build microcode for the 11/05

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

holy poo poo that owns

RSX11M
Sep 21, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

holy poo poo that owns

seriously can't imagine how many hours of work went into any one of those, it's incredible

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

RSX11M posted:

i didn't see a topic so you can post about old computers in here, i think that might be fun

pics, videos, marketing, personal projects, anything goes as long as it's not too modern (90s is pushing it unless it's a sparc/alpha/etc box)

kicking it off with the most beautiful homebrew build i've ever seen, one of three this guy owns

pictured is a completely homemade wire-wrapped pdp11/05:

he also has a homebrew lsi11 and pdp8, both also wire-wrapped, and the pdp8 is used to build microcode for the 11/05

fuckin rocks

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
Hi, I'm a new member to this forum.
Here is my home built PDP-11/05 (1974)

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

on mastodon rn a bunch of gentle nerds with old Macs, featuring former forums poster Kaleboo, are setting up an AppleTalk network over a WAN and they're having a nice time sending each other StuffIt files and printing MacPaint drawings :kimchi:

https://mastodon.social/@paulrickards/112045487877724638

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
sweet thread idea. 5’d and subscribed

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

some day i want to build a piece of magnetic core memory

this guy built one bit of it https://sites.google.com/site/wayneholder/one-bit-ferrite-core-memory and i know there's kits out there for it too.

RSX11M
Sep 21, 2016

Dijkstracula posted:

on mastodon rn a bunch of gentle nerds with old Macs, featuring former forums poster Kaleboo, are setting up an AppleTalk network over a WAN and they're having a nice time sending each other StuffIt files and printing MacPaint drawings :kimchi:

that's so cute i love it

RSX11M
Sep 21, 2016

dunno how many people are familiar with the pidp11/70 (scale reproduction of a pdp11/70 with a pi or fpga inside) but the maker is wrapping up his pdp10 recreation project and just launched a new site to go with https://obsolescence.dev/pidp10.html

looks :krad:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
v rad

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i am not familiar with it at all but it seems like it rules

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ewaste

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
monitor etc

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Dijkstracula posted:

I have a Quadra 700 and an old SE, I should really try to get a node of this working to have up at the fest in Seattle in a couple weeks (https://sdf.org/icf/)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

quadpus posted:

I have a Quadra 700

:eyepop:

that and the 950 are my favorite 68k macs

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Elder Postsman posted:

:eyepop:

that and the 950 are my favorite 68k macs

I picked it up years and years ago for free, or nearly so. Had no idea they'd end up being one of the most desirable of the old macintoshes. I also have the PPC upgrade and DOS compatibility card that work with it for extra fun.

RSX11M
Sep 21, 2016

quadpus posted:

I have a Quadra 700 and an old SE, I should really try to get a node of this working to have up at the fest in Seattle in a couple weeks (https://sdf.org/icf/)

that would be so killer, i think people would love it! i really need to get a nice color mac, i only have my SE FDHD right now

i've been trying to remember which macs we had in my elementary school library/computer lab but i can't remember much about them anymore :(

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

quadpus posted:

let’s gooooo!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

RSX11M posted:

dunno how many people are familiar with the pidp11/70 (scale reproduction of a pdp11/70 with a pi or fpga inside) but the maker is wrapping up his pdp10 recreation project and just launched a new site to go with https://obsolescence.dev/pidp10.html

looks :krad:

God that color palette, I should get a keyboard with those colors

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

for old computers in my apartment, I've got a MicroVAX 3100/40 under my desk that had some capacitor in the PSU let out the magic smoke. it's a neat little box, not particularly speedy (something like 3 VUPs) but you can run netbsd on it and telnet in just fine. also a mostly working mac classic ii. most recent acquisition is an IBM PS/2 Model 50, one of the weirder machines here as it's a 286 machine with a 1.44 MB floppy drive... and an MCA bus instead of ISA. everything in it checks out okay except the riser board for connecting the floppy controller to the proprietary card sockets that IBM used on the PS/2 floppies of this era has an exploded tantalum on the 12VDC rail, so the BIOS will detect the floppy drive but can't power on the motor. of course, since the CMOS is configured by booting from a floppy, and I had to replace the CMOS battery wiping the NVRAM in the process, I can't boot it from the hard drive until I fix this riser board.

needless to say there's a bunch of soldering in my future

RSX11M
Sep 21, 2016

ADINSX posted:

God that color palette, I should get a keyboard with those colors

DEC were really, really good at colors and design in general imo, i love the colors of the PDP12 and various PDP8 models, there are so many good examples in their history

VAXen are really cool machines! i have a handful atm, a 3100/40 like yourself (actually my first vintage machine), a vaxstation 3100/76 that needs repair, and a microVAX II boardset (KA630 CPU + 16MB of RAM) that i swap in and out of the BA23 box that holds my PDP11/83. mine typically run VMS because i have an interest in operating system design and engineering (though i'm not smart enough to express it in code), though. i do appreciate that the netBSD port is still active though! the PDP11 runs... well, RSX11M+!

i'm actually working on getting graphics on the latter two VAXen, i have a VCB02 controller and the boards for eight plane color graphics, but i'm missing a few interconnect cables and a bulkhead connector thing known as a cabkit, basically just gives me actual physical ports to plug stuff into instead of having to run DIY cables out the back of the chassis, which is uglier. the VAXstation, i'm just waiting for a good price on an SPX graphics board. i have a decent number of older computers at this point but those are really the most interesting, the others are oddities or really only interesting to other sickos who are way too deep into this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
whoa I’m in!

This is also the first time I've ever even LocalTalk'ed two macs together, pleased that the PhoneNet adapters I picked up work

quadpus fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 8, 2024