Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Recently facebook decided to show me a 2k Sq foot boat for sale for a thousand bucks. I live in Michigan and there's heaps of water everywhere. I could get a loan for repair work but I've never owned anything. I don't have a lot of interesting in owning a house but a boat SOUNDS really neat. However: the internet makes it sound like owning a boat is the worst thing that can happen to a person.

People who have lived on a boat or are living there now:
-how does it compare price wise to living on land
-what are the obvious things you gotta know
-what are the hidden things about boats that I should be aware of
-what questions should I ask this seller
-how dumb am I for considering this
-do I have to get a permit or go to boating school
-is there a good primer on living on a boat
My friends are divided and I think the novelty is clouding my judgment of the reality. I will post boat pics when I receive them.

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I tagged this wrong I am very serious but also very stupid

here are the boat pics

it's a bit of a fixer upper, to say the least

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 10, 2024

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

hey man thanks for being cool about this i was really nervous about the whole thing and you've really answered a lot of my questions

this guy seems to be very normal so that's a plus, but there's also the practical question of how the heck to i get that boat to the correct side of Michigan. It is too large to go over land, apparently, so I would have to sail from butt-touching Indiana back to civilization (detroit adjacent). I got merit badges in boy scouts for swimming and canoeing but it's been a while and I've never piloted a boat with an engine. my friend bob has, so I can always enlist him.

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 10, 2024

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Alright so I can't go through Michigan. The boat is 60 foot long and twenty feet wide. Going around michigan seems rough. But doable.

The current plan is to find a boat expert in Indiana and have them give it the once over. This seems like a bad idea, so I'm very excited about it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
This has great potential. Not for you, your life, your health, or your finances, but maybe for this forum.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I have lots of second hand experience from my friends who have lived and currently live on boats, including living on a boat eerily similar to that one.

I'm glad you're already seeking knowledgeable council but holy poo poo don't do it.

You say you can get a loan for repairs. How much do you think it would cost to repair that boat?

What marinas are you looking at that can accommodate it? Where will the boat live in the winter and would you plan to live on it then?

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 11, 2024

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Q!e

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Q!e

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Animal-Mother posted:

This has great potential. Not for you, your life, your health, or your finances, but maybe for this forum.

Thank you for the support.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I have lots of second hand experience from my friends who have lived and currently live on boats, including living on a boat eerily similar to that one.

I'm glad you're already seeking knowledgeable council but holy poo poo don't do it.

You say you can get a loan for repairs. How much do you think it would cost to repair that boat?

What marinas are you looking at that can accommodate it? Where will the boat live in the winter and would you plan to live on it then?

In terms of planning and thinking this through I found out about this yesterday. I could reasonably get a ten to fifteen thousand dollar loan to begin repairs, but I feel like I should find someone who knows poo poo about boats in Indiana to have them give it the once over. It would bum me out if the boat had an incurable issue. The interior seems like a heap of trouble.

The biggest hurdle is the reality of piloting the boat ~600 miles around the mitten. I can't even find out how much marina space would (because Google sucks now)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Qft

Why is ‘The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald’ suddenly playing in my head?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
the edmond shitzgerald

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

Thank you for the support.

In terms of planning and thinking this through I found out about this yesterday. I could reasonably get a ten to fifteen thousand dollar loan to begin repairs, but I feel like I should find someone who knows poo poo about boats in Indiana to have them give it the once over. It would bum me out if the boat had an incurable issue. The interior seems like a heap of trouble.

If there's a structural hull issue below the water line, that's a $200,000 dry docking and repair. If you can't afford that when your boat starts to sink in the marina, you're legally responsible for disposal and cleanup, also well more than $15,000. If that thing moves at all, you're gonna need the better part of a week and ~$5k in fuel alone to get it to Lake Erie. If it doesn't move, you'll need to tug it for five figures. Any of those would take precedence over making the interior habitable.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i wouldn't buy it without having someone who knows anything about boats giving it a thorough inspection.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
This is a terrible idea OP, but if you do it please keep this thread updated because entertainment like that doesn't come 'round these posts that often.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
If i wasn't just coming out of life altering unemployment i would consider it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

does this boat come with the "water cracking" engines achieved by the secret door of science with germany?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

We'd only get maximum laughs if that boat were already in the place OP wanted to live, just barely livable, OP having enough unexpected disposable income to give them false hope, and if OP had a crackerjack idea to monetize it. Those are always [ASK] me about my wild fun new amazing project, and never [TELL] me what's wrong with this plan.

Hate to say it bud, but you lack the chaotic defensiveness necessary to start a goon legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

theflyingexecutive posted:

Hate to say it bud, but you lack the chaotic defensiveness necessary to start a goon legend.

There's too many ifs right now and I don't think I can do this without becoming homeless if it breaks bad, funny as it may be to buy a boat from the time cube guy. If I was slightly more on stable ground this would be dumb enough for me to fall for