Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Since 1986, Konami has periodically published run-and-gun games involving muscular dudes firing guns at aliens while somersaulting wildly through the air. On March 12, the 15th(?) installment of this series will hit stores to once more ask us the question, "Should you ever let go of the fire button in a sidescrolling shooter?" (the answer is no.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV5WaaJSpBk

Contra: Operation Galuga, developed by Wayforward, (who were behind Contra 4 on the Nintendo DS ages ago) is essentially a remake of the original Contra and Super C mashed together with elements of later titles to create an encapsulation of the best parts of the series in an easily-approachable package. With customizable difficulty settings, a perk system, and repeatable challenges, you and up to 3 other players can blast through the game in a variety of ways (including with classic 1-hit deaths and weapon loss).

The music's being done by Scarlet Moon's Yuko Komiyama and Norihiko Hibino and leans hard into the "Summer blockbuster action film" vibe,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUIq4UG_tJo

But if loud brass horns aren't your thing you can also unlock alternate soundtracks to use in-game that harken back to the more energetic chiptunes of previous games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUXktzLaq4k

Awesome, 4-players! How's the netcode?
Nah, this thing's local co-op only, you gotta gently caress around with remote play shenanigans if all your friends are stuck across borders.

Okay, but why make a thread about a game you can finish in about 2 hours that will likely be forgotten by the majority of gamers within a week?
I like Contra and the last decent game was Hard Corps Uprising back in 2011, so having something that could be vaguely-good coming out of Konami in 2024 is a goddamn miracle worth posting about.

Oh, and get it on Steam where it runs without any hiccups; console versions are experiencing nasty stutter in comparison until Wayforward can roll out a patch. (also modding in the extra content will likely be much easier)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Oh and feel free to talk about other Run-and-Gun/Sidescrolling shooters in this thread, as the genre is pretty niche enough as it is these days.

Cuphead x Gunstar Heroes crossover when

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
I played this for the last few days and enjoyed it a lot. It's maybe a little overpriced for the amount of content, but that might just be my Canadian dollars talking. I really hope Konami keeps the Contra series going. Big beefy boys killing monsters will never go out of style.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I was gonna make the obligatory "don't play this on Switch" post but it runs kinda bad on PS4 too so I think it's just spectacularly poorly optimised. A game this ugly should not hitch so often.

I don't know that I like it as much as Contra 4 but it's pretty good, if a little overlong in spots. All that story stuff is immensely uninteresting.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
one of the ugliest games I've seen in awhile.