Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Figured I'd make a thread for the fans of smooth easy reads. Say 340 page books of yore, fun to read kind of stuff. For lapsed readers or if it's just your taste in fiction. Elmore Leonard, D&D books, say A. Lee Martinez, Stainless Steel Rat, stuff like this.

A corner for some cool little books or something like that. Since other threads more to the taste of seasoned readers can focus on books that may not be quite my thing, or daunting. So it'd be cool to see if others are looking for books like this too. I like sci-fi and fantasy adventure as genres in general, crime when it's fun, and comedy etc. Whatever you're into that seems like an easier read. I do also love comics naturally.

I always recommend Elmore Leonard by the way, like the Tarantino of books (if that pitch works for you), cool cat.

So why not, if you feel like looking for a smooth read that grabs you, or have maybe a simpler taste in novels, mainly for entertainment and escapism. Something like that, here's a thread.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

THANK you OP i have been wanting to discuss Rothfuss' Name of the Wind but this forum is simply too snobby

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I got nothing but love for The Book Barn, and the Sci-Fi & Fantasy thread is on my bookmarks for sure, but we could always use more places to get wild and post some different things. I'm not intending to say anybody is snobby, I genuinely think it's rad that they're such prolific readers. This thread is just another thing, like hey how about some lighter or quick to grab you less investment sort of stuff I dunno. Well it's an idea anyway, or a cry for help.

Anyways, we've had a thread or two about people trying to make reading more of a habit, stuff like that. Maybe this could double as a thread for posting about such stuff, people struggling a bit wanting to get the habit going more. A lounge for the brain dazed and reading interested etc. I was gonna call it Bad Readers Anonymous but that didn't have the ring to it. Just another place to post.

I mean, do we want the other subforums like BYOB to have all the loose casual book threads going? This thread is Barn strong. Supporting this thread is supporting the Barn. "Read books mothertrucker" - Orson Welles

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 14, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If you got out of your bookmarks and into the index you'd notice this subforum of TBB: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=688

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

fez_machine posted:

If you got out of your bookmarks and into the index you'd notice this subforum of TBB: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=688

I still have a thread in the middle of pg 1 over there, from a year ago, that Elmore Leonard thread. Seems a bit slow there, but hey I'm trying one thread per year everywhere.

You know what's a cool book, Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary K. Wolf. Sometimes my thought is to try and catch a vibe that doesn't have a thread. Like we have a mystery thread, but not an all purpose crime fiction thread for say comedy crime books, or non-mystery things like Leonard etc. So could always use more places to slot some discussion in. The fiction of Bruce Campbell is fun, especially Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 14, 2024

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Those Parker books by Stark are cool. I originally was going to start with the nicely done graphic novels by Cooke, but then I tried the first audiobook and it was really singing to me. So I'll give those a read later on after I'm already familiar. I also have collected some of the paperbacks of the novels already, in the middle of the series. They're the slimmest novels I have, and I think that's very cool.

I've got an interest in some Dungeons and Dragons books, my brother really liked the Greyhawk trilogy starting with White Plume Mountain, those look fun. Also gonna try Dragonlance and Azure Bonds sometime. Already did some Drzzt by Salvatore, he's cool, but looking to try other authors. Eberron books also look cool like Binding Stone, and I don't even play D&D.

Speaking of "light" reads, I have a big stack of Vampire Hunter D books, light novels as the kids call 'em. That D guy is badass.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The Dragonlance trilogy, and then the Legends trilogy, is peak DnD novels.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

lifg posted:

The Dragonlance trilogy, and then the Legends trilogy, is peak DnD novels.

Cool to hear!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Both Parker and Vampire Hunter D are loving sick

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Have probably done 8-10 Elmore Leonard crime books. Love them for what they are, and I'd maybe argue they go a little beyond just 'genre fiction'.

Anyone done any of his westerns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He's one of my favorite authors, so I mean that in a very good way. Just a way to sum up the rambling scope of the thread. I haven't read his westerns yet, I did pick up Valdez is Coming recently. He rules for sure, I think for me I'm guessing based on preview pages etc that his style in the 70s and on is even more my thing. But the 3:10 to Yuma short sure made some cool movies.

fez_machine posted:

Both Parker and Vampire Hunter D are loving sick

Hell yeah!