Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Well hello there and welcome to a smoked filled nightmare.

I've recently purchased a shiney old 1996 Nx650 Dominator. The kid that owned it tells me he blew the original engine up through lack of oil to the top end. He hunted around and purchased a reconditioned engine and installed this. 1000miles later it's pissing blue/grey smoke and therefore he's taken it off the road to investigate. His 'bike savvy friend' informed him it was the rings and needed a full rebuild, kid has run out of money and enthusiasm so lists it on Facebook market place with the remnants of engine one plus some other trick parts.
Along comes muggins here who travels three hours and lowballs him £1200 to take the problem off his hands.

I myself previously owned a 1996 nx650 as my first 'big' bike back when I was fresh faced and stupider at 18, I've never known a love like a big thumping single cylinder and this was my opportunity to re-own my favourite bike.

This thread will probably be a documentation of the demise of my sanity. Pics and more info to come once I can switch back to mobile SA and remember what the gently caress I'm doing with my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Under first inspection, I immediately realized that this is not in fact an RD08 but an RD02 model from 1994, the replacement engine in the frame is also a slightly later model RD02. Close enough to not have to worry moving forward.

I've recently moved house, my workshop is currently cramped and full of my wife's grandads crud, I will eventually be replacing the roof on the garage so I have more space but that's a problem for another day.

Brakes have been partly stripped and are missing some parts, a brand new set of TRK stainless pistons and seal kits came with the box of bits, so those are now installed and parts ordered to get the brake recommissioned

The previous owner had already dropped the oil, so I dropped in 1.5l, emptied the carb (nice and clean already) fresh fuel and turned the engine for a few cycles with the Killswitch engaged to make sure oil was pumping to the top end. This checked and I fired the engine.
Within 15s of running, plenty of grey blue smoke from the exhaust, left it running for another minute to ensure oil was warming and flowing around the engine then shut off and dropped all the oil back out. Plenty of discolouration straight away from old lovely residue but I'm not overly concerned.
The engine has plenty of compression so I'm immediately drawn to the conclusion that the stem seals are hosed and also judging by the coking in the end cans that there is incomplete burn and the timing might be out by a tooth.

Whipped the headers off and voila

Next I stripped the rocker cover off and checked the top end, everything seems ok, valve clearance is good but as anticipated, the timing is retarded by a tooth.

Readjusted the timing back to where it should be, put it all back together, fresh oil again and fired. Sounds much better this time and the smoke is now definitely just blue white so that leaky stem seal has got to go. I've also dropped the few pounds for a new set of rings along with a set of stem seals and a full gasket kit. I'll lap the valves and probably replace all of the valves while I'm there because I would be stupid not to.

While I wait for parts I should probably make some sort of start on stripping the roof from my garage so I have more space to work. Instead I'm procrastinating and posting.

Salisbury Snape fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 12, 2024

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Apologies for links and not pictures itt I can't get the images to embed

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Looks like a decent project. afaik those bikes are pretty solid, my dad had one for a little while.

Imgur has a share option on their webpage that gives you a ready to paste img link.
Just click on the three dots on the image and choose "get share links".

and hit the 3rd button with bbcode (forums)

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Thanks! I always just did it before straight from the bb code insert imgur on the mobile app, but it doesn't seem to want to work anymore (even with a linked imgur account)