Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah
Problem description: My primary Windows 10 PC can no longer access any shared folder on my Synology DS215j running DSM 7.1.1.
* Issue began today.
* Other PCs on the same network can access the shared folders.
* My primary PC seems aware the shares exist, and I'm asked for my password, but when I enter the correct password it's never accepted.
* My primary PC can access the DSM interface via web browser, and it can access stored media files via uPNP.
* When I run Synology Assistant on my primary PC, if I try to map drives via the Assistant, I get an error "Cannot obtain a list of shared folders."

Attempted fixes:
* I've tried connecting via IP, rather than device name. No difference.
* I've created a new user account with a different password, to see if using another account would let me access the shares. Nope.
* I've dug through all the SMB options on the DS215j, verifying that all Shared Folder and File Services settings appear correct.
* I temporarily enabled SMB1 on both the NAS and my primary PC, and that didn't change anything.
* I've cleared the NAS SMB cache. No impact.
* I've disabled then re-enabled file and printer sharing, then when that didn't do anything I uninstalled/reinstalled the ethernet adapter (which also did nothing).
* I tried disabling the onboard wired network adapter and plugging in a USB Wifi card, didn't do anything.
* I've rebooted each device multiple times.
* I've done more things that I can't remember.

Recent changes: None. About a month ago I updated the NAS to DSM 7, but following that it's worked fine for weeks.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64-bit

System specs: self-built
* Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU - 860 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
* Installed RAM - 16.0 GB
* System type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
* Motherboard - MSI P55-GD80 (Realtek PCIe GBE network adapter, no Wifi)
* Graphics - 2 x GeForce GTX 970
* Audio - Creative SB X-Fi
* Power supply - I'm pretty sure Corsair, but probably not relevant
* Storage - 2 x SSD's, 2 x raided HDD's, but probably not relevant
* Router - ASUS ZenWiFi AX (latest OEM firmware, 2 nodes, wired connection to primary node)
* No modem, router connected directly to Fios
* Local Windows account, not a Microsoft account and no Windows Hello (that apparently causes problems with some network shares)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, oh spork yes, so many web searches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Are other computers windows 10 also?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3?tabs=server

Needs to be on for older SMB

You could install to a spare ssd to try to see if it's your own windows version?

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah

down1nit posted:

Are other computers windows 10 also?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3?tabs=server

Needs to be on for older SMB

You could install to a spare ssd to try to see if it's your own windows version?

I've tried it with SMB1 on temporarily, both on the PC and the NAS. But SMB1 isn't secure, so I turned it back off once if was clear is didn't help.

Yes, other Win10 computers can open it.

Ideally, I'm looking for advice other than "try a fresh Windows installation." I can do that if needed, but I'm hoping there's more stuff I might be able to try first.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Fresh install on a spare drive takes all of 15 minutes for me.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It's for testing by the way, you know, troubleshooting lol