Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Can't find another thread about this, so tell me if it's a dupe! Searching bought up nothing. This is all homebrew, so I don't think I'm promoting piracy here, and the servers are shutting down soon anyway.

So, the 2ds/3ds/WiiU servers are being shut down completely on April 8th. Games like MH4U and Tri-Force Heroes will lose all ability to connect to the internet. No more wondertrade in Pokemon. No more Super Mario Maker 1.

The community has it in hand and there's plans to restore these servers and online functionality, which is very cool, but in the meantime...

One of the things we need to do before 4pm PDT, or 23:00 UTC on April 8th is get all our Spotpass data backed up!

https://spotpassarchive.github.io/

quote:

As you may know, Nintendo has announced that online services for the Nintendo 3DS, 2DS and Wii U family of systems are shutting down in April.

All online communication services, including the distribution of SpotPass data will be discontinued on April 8th, 2024, at 4pm PDT. As a result, features using SpotPass in many titles will stop working once this change has taken effect.

3DS/2DS and Wii U systems store a local database of titles for which you have recently received SpotPass data. This database can be used to check for the URLs it uses to download the SpotPass content.

By dumping this database from your system(s), you can help various network revival services in preserving SpotPass content, ensuring that SpotPass features in these titles can be used long after Nintendo has pulled the plug on the service. Database dumps are anonymized when collected. Dumps are sent to network revival services to allow SpotPass features to be replicated later.

In the interest of promoting a fair and open ecosystem, this project is not owned by any one network revival service.

It's easy to do, quoting their page:

The way you dump the database depends on your system firmware version and whether or not you have CFW (custom firmware) installed.

Choose a guide matching your system:
Nintendo 2DS/3DS
Modded systems (CFW) - Any firmware version
Unmodded systems (no CFW) - Version 11.15.0 and above (NEW 3DS/2DS only)
Unmodded systems (no CFW) - Version 11.4.0 and above
Unmodded systems (no CFW) - Version 11.3.0 and below
Any systems - NAND Dump (advanced users only)

Wii U
Modded systems (CFW) - Any firmware version
Unmodded systems (no CFW) - Version 5.5.0 and above

It takes under five minutes, even if you're manually downloading the CIA to your SD card. It took us longer to find the screwdriver to get the back off the n3ds than it did to get the CIA installed. Once it's downloaded, you run it, it automatically uploads the data to the internet, and that's it, you're done.

So help preserve the best handheld console, go back up your data!

Link to Discord: https://discord.gg/wxCEY8MHvh

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
Nintendo? More like, Nintendontwork

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Only a few more days for this, the servers shut down on the 8th!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 3, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I needed an excuse to turn on my Wii U, so I guess this will do. Thanks for letting us know, Nettle!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Highly unlikely I have anything but I’ll run it later

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did this on a modded 3DS and it was mad easy. Thanks for the heads-up!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I did my part!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

did this a few days ago! :)

im wondering if it also gets spotpass data of phys cart games and its gotta, right?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i will definitely do this before it closes or i'm a big stupid rear end bitch

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Glad people are picking up on it! It sucks a lot that they're shutting the whole thing down.

I miss streetpass.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
n/m

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 4, 2024

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Sent my 2DS and New 3DS info out

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Thanks! You are all appreciated.

Last day.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Here's a QR code for the 3ds dumper CIA that I nicked from the discord.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dumped my 3DS and my Wii U, both of which I've had since near launch or at launch so hopefully that's helpful.

Should also note there's an option on the website to dump a normal, non-CFW Wii U through the browser and it automatically will upload the files for you.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Thanks, they've added that since I put the post together, edited it in.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It's done. You can still upload your Spotpass dumps I'm pretty sure (if the people taking them have gotten over the fact they ran out of space), )and the Pretendo people have already worked out that the servers aren't down, merely blocked on the 3DS side of things, so they can still access the URLS) but for all intents and purposes it's over.

RIP to the Nintendo Network, long live the Pretendo Network.

This can be taken out of stickies now, thankyou to whoever did that!

Edit: They're back to accepting dumps, since the servers are actually still up for them to scrape from. Go do it, if you haven't already!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

This can be taken out of stickies now, thankyou to whoever did that!

Edit: They're back to accepting dumps, since the servers are actually still up for them to scrape from. Go do it, if you haven't already!

No worries! If it's still accepting dumps I'll keep this stickied, might as well try and get people to submit data as long as it's still possible.