Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I have recently started working on a project to try and archive about two decades of digital family photos--about 10 TB all up. I have a computer set aside for the task and a couple of 20 TB hard drives in a RAID setup. I'm at a bit of a loss of how best to proceed from here, though, because the goal is to make all of the photos accessible not only from any computer within our home network (easy and fine) as well as by smartphone (I am completely stumped). I tried Plex, but it seems really slow and better suited to streaming video than storing tens or hundreds of thousands of photos in an easy-to-use app, since the people I want to do this for aren't terribly tech savvy.

Does anyone have any experience with this or have any suggestions? I have heard something about "Docker" being suitable, but I'll admit it's so far outside of my wheelhouse that I'm a bit unsure of how to even begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic
I'm interested in the answer to this, too!

I have approximately 15 gigs of well sorted photos and video, and have them backed up on hard drives, but don't really know how to share them well.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
If you want it all in-house there's some self hosted software you can use. People were talking about PyGallery2 and maybe something else in the Self Hosting megathreat, maybe try asking there?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly, I would just use Google Photos. It takes care of your access and backup and the image search is really impressive. It will even search for text contained within images, so like if I put in part of my license plate number it will find photos of my car with the plate in it. Even kind of abstract ideas, like if I put in "Fire" it finds photos in my phone of fire fighters and fire trucks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I use a Synology NAS to store the photos, and it has a photo gallery that you can make accessible through an app (or web browser). Some will say not to make it accessible throguh the web, but I like to live dangerously.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

Three Olives posted:

Honestly, I would just use Google Photos. It takes care of your access and backup and the image search is really impressive. It will even search for text contained within images, so like if I put in part of my license plate number it will find photos of my car with the plate in it. Even kind of abstract ideas, like if I put in "Fire" it finds photos in my phone of fire fighters and fire trucks.

Please tell me how many pictures of fire trucks that you keep on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gin posted:

Please tell me how many pictures of fire trucks that you keep on your phone.

I'm betting if you had 200GB of photos going back twenty years that you could instantly search for any photos that contained a fire truck, you have a lot more photos of fire trucks than you think you do.