Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Problem description: Up until yesterday my PC is now rejecting all forms of wireless connection. Problems range from "No Connection, Secure" "to Connected, Secure" but with no real connections. I tried an alternate adapter and got the same issues. Upon a restart it will connect for about 1 minute and then go back to nothing. The rest of the devices in my house connect to my router with no issues.

Attempted fixes: I've tried alternative adapters, ipconfig release/renew/flushDNS, the utterly hopeless windows troubleshooter, google's free DNS server (ipv4), SFC, CHKDSK, plugging into different ports, nothing sticks. Every google search gives the same useless canned responses (reset your router, turn off antivirus, etc.). I rolled back to an automatic restore point, didn't help. Upon unplugging/replugging the adapter I get a solid 60 seconds of internet before it goes to poo poo.

Recent changes: No recent changes.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

System specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16300MB RAM
Page File: 6977MB used, 15721MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Router: Spectrum's In-house bullshit. Have limited time to post this, will edit on mobile.
Adapter: TP-Link Archer TX20UH

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I can't stress how important it is to do the bullshit solutions first.

Restart the router, restart your pc. Do this or be shunned forever. Unplug them from the ac power they crave. Deny their wants.

Removing and reinstalling the device driver is next. You got any anti-virus software?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've restarted my router/modem and rebooted, no dice. I don't have any 3rd-party anti-virus. Reinstalled drivers, no luck there either.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 25, 2024

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Exchanged TP Link adapter for an ASUS adapter, still no luck.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try using a static IP and see if it acts any differently: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-a-static-ip-address

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Static IP didn't help. Spectrum's lovely app gives the user almost no control over a network's details. I followed the steps and after setting the reservation it wouldn't connect at all.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try connecting the computer to your phone using a mobile hotspot if possible (or another wifi network). That'd determine if it's a router/ISP issue or a computer issue.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

After beating my head against it for 3 days I think I've found the source of the problem. My computer keeps dropping or is being dropped from most DNS services. Last night after setting a custom DNS to 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) I was able to sustain a seemingly stable connection, but I won't be able to confirm it until I get back from work today. I have a good hunch that I need to find a way to get it to stick to a DNS.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Horace Kinch posted:

I've restarted my router/modem and rebooted, no dice. I don't have any 3rd-party anti-virus. Reinstalled drivers, no luck there either.

Sounds like you fixed it somehow, but importantly I said to remove and reinstall.

Download the replacement driver. nix the driver from device manager, reboot, and see if it comes back. If it doesn't then install the driver again. You don't have to, but you came here asking for advice....

You should absolutely do the wireless hotspot thing too.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

down1nit posted:

Sounds like you fixed it somehow, but importantly I said to remove and reinstall.

Download the replacement driver. nix the driver from device manager, reboot, and see if it comes back. If it doesn't then install the driver again. You don't have to, but you came here asking for advice....

You should absolutely do the wireless hotspot thing too.

I did remove/reinstall it, I could have been more specific in my reply. After returning home my connection has gone right back to refusing to work. I'll try the wifi Hotspot thing and post results.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mobile hotspot works, but it's very slow. Feels like being on 56k again.

Edit: Enabled Wi-fi sharing, it's much faster now.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 26, 2024

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd contact Spectrum and see if they can update the firmware/settings on your router/gateway or send you a new one if possible.

Some ISPs gateways are very locked down and others give users more configuration options. Not sure if you can update the firmware yourself (if it's out of date).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zogo posted:

I'd contact Spectrum and see if they can update the firmware/settings on your router/gateway or send you a new one if possible.

Some ISPs gateways are very locked down and others give users more configuration options. Not sure if you can update the firmware yourself (if it's out of date).

Last night my router basically had a heart attack and every device couldn't sustain a connection, it turns out my PC not connecting was more like the router-dying equivalent of the slow-applause trope. Once it was replaced everything's stable again. Appreciate all the advice goons, the real enemy here was me overthinking it.