Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
The best evidence that it's after the Edo chapter is that the historical Sakamoto Ryoma was assassinated in 1867 and this chapter is implied to be taking place at least a little bit after the American Civil War rather than concurrently with it, though without any set dates it's not impossible they're happening around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

CullenDaGaDee posted:

The best evidence that it's after the Edo chapter is that the historical Sakamoto Ryoma was assassinated in 1867 and this chapter is implied to be taking place at least a little bit after the American Civil War rather than concurrently with it, though without any set dates it's not impossible they're happening around the same time.

Mandatory reminder that there was a very brief window where a Samurai could send a fax to Abraham Lincoln.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Mandatory reminder that there was a very brief window where a Samurai could send a fax to Abraham Lincoln.

Cowboys were a sort of itinerant warrior class in late meiji-era america.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The classics of the Spaghetti Western genre are famously just setting changes for classic samurai films, so this all tracks.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
This chapter's lead character designer Osamu Ishiwata's most relevant works (at least notable enough to garner english wikipedia articles and coming out close-ish to when Live a Live did) were the Weekly Shonen Sunday titles B.B. (running from '85 to '91) and its continuation LOVe (running from '93-99)

The former (short for "Burning Blood") was about a hotheaded trumpet player who gives up his music career to go into the world of underground boxing, while the later is about a girl who fakes being a boy to enroll in an all boys school so she can get into it's tennis program, to get the chance to have a showdown against a boy she knew that had moved away

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It is interesting to see the eclectic collection of artists they signed on for character design in this game, some of whom you wouldn't think would be the first pick for the genre they got assigned to. It's like Square was trying to launch their own band of Akira Toriyama's to work as character/creature designers for their games.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Sundown Kid's missing two major things: More guns, and bigger guns. (Also, I like having him steal Mad Dog's clothes, since all his armor is better than what Sundown starts with, and it's not like armor matters against the boss, whose gatling gun is roughly equivalent to the Soda Bottle in lethality- and it was buffed in the remake to be able to target any direction instead of just diagonally.)

More seriously, you can use Bottled Fire in the fight itself too; don't remember its properties relative to Dynamite, but you can definitely use it... anyway, the bottles definitely serve no other purpose, the oil might not serve any other purpose, and if you know what you're doing you've got plenty of time to ransack the town, set the traps, AND make all the Bottled Fire available by around the sixth bell.

Anyway, as those quotes at the top when you're picking a trap in the remake indicate, each townsperson is better at specific traps, even among the "anyone can set it" types. Like, the guy who owns the rope is the best person to use it, James is good at digging (and thus the best choice for the Shovel), etc.

...On the topic of the next chapter (spoilered for its gimmick): Do you plan on learning the protagonist's ultimate from the sumo?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I kind of wish there was more feedback for the traps, it is pretty hard to tell if anyone is good at setting particular traps. Not that it really matters, you can easily get every trap within two bells and set them well before the Crazy Bunch arrive regardless of who you hand them off to.

I got the Present Day chapter uploading now, and I do learn all available techniques. I don't bother learning Worldbreaker's Wrath in the SFC version since the move is infamously weak there.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2iJ1lQjyA

Part 11 is out! It is time for the Modern Day Chapter. This chapter is happening right now, as you are reading this, don't let it pass you by! This is easily the shortest and most simplistic chapter in the game, with no world to explore in any capacity and only 7 boss fights. This chapter is pretty obviously a send up to Street Fighter II, with the progression loosely structured like a Mega Man game. Don't expect a riveting plot, but it is a nice change of pace and can be a good breather after a chapter like Twilight of Edo.

Extra Notes

-Save for the final boss, you can do the fights in any order you want. That being said, Moribe and Tula Han are the only ones you have a reliable chance of beating with Masaru's starting loadout, especially in the SFC version for Focus heals about half as much HP (Max Morgan is almost unbeatable without a ranged move, your only hope is to snag Max Bomber and pray it consistently knocks him back). Tula's definitely the better choice for SFC, while in HD I'd actually say Moribe is a better start since he is less evasive and is more vulnerable to being destroyed by counterhits from Tula's moves.

-Speaking of Moribe, Fleetfoot is crazy broken for this chapter in the SFC version. The only fighters who have any kind of counter for it are Namkiat and Great Asia, and that's only if they don't get spun by it. Every other fight, including the final boss, can be nailed with it repeatedly and stun locked near endlessly. The move is much less consistent in HD, but similar tricks can be pulled with moves like Max Bomber and Aloha Clap which are more powerful and consistent with their pushing effects in this version.

-The Wantanabe cameo in the Great Asia fight is notoriously tricky to trigger in the SFC version. In addition to needing to have his back to the camera, he must also be in the lower right corner of the stage which is unbelievably annoying to actually accomplish. Since this is so unlikely to happen in a normal fight and so tedious to accomplish intentionally, they simplified the trigger to only needing him to have his back to the camera when he uses Bite in the HD version so people could actually see it.

-Great Asia's moves are absolutely terrible, they do not do nearly enough damage to justify the risk of possibly killing yourself, and they are ridiculously prone to missing. As Great Asia himself found out the hard way.

-As shown in the video, Jackie Iaukea is the only fighter to possess a third move you can learn off of him. When his arms are bound, he can throw out Worldbreaker's Wrath, which is Masaru's ultimate skill. He only has a chance to counter an arm bind with this, but he's so bulky you can easily just spam Armlock until he eventually retaliates with it. This move is absolute dogwater in the SFC version due to running off of Masaru's miserable Special Attack stat, so it is absolutely not worth the time to learn there. Aside from that, as long as you're over about 280 HP and have Focus buffs applied, you should be able to survive this move and add it to your repertoire. In the HD version, it is much stronger and is easily Masaru's best AOE, so learning it now rather than at level 16 actually can be pretty handy.

-Related to the last point, don't sweat it too much if you miss a move or two, Masaru eventually learns them all once he's able to actually level up. The ones I'd recommend making sure you absolutely get are Armlock, Cross Heel Hold, Celestial Palm, Fleetfoot, Spiral Knee in the event you didn't get Fleetfoot, Aloha Clap and German Suplex. This gives Masaru all the coverage he needs for range, debuffs and skills that move the enemy.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Moribe's moves are probably the most important tools in Masaru's arsenal. They're so potent that, honestly, I think the only reason Odie managed to beat him is his glass jaw; put the same moves on a tougher fighter (i.e. Masaru) and he gets owned.

Anyway, next up we've got the most blatant instance of scaling random encounters in Live A Live, as we've discussed previously.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Celestial Palm is especially good in the SFC version where its full set of debuffs nearly always goes through, though as mentioned Fleetfoot is also a devastating AI breaker so he's pretty well set between the two of those.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtaK01moRYc

Part 12 is out! We begin the Near Future chapter, which takes us back to a more standardized format akin to what the pre-history chapter did. This chapter has a fair share of its own quirks though, and it's plot is easily the strangest of any chapter in the game, so I'm hoping we'll have some fun with this one.

Extra Notes

-If you happen to win any combat items in battle, be sure to hang onto them. They aren't terribly useful in any fights, but there is something very important that can be done with them later.

-There's basically no reason not to snipe the leader of a battle formation for any battle in this chapter. Unless my memory fails me, there is a slight reason to rout all enemies in the SFC version that we'll get to later, but not so in HD. You get the same experience per fight regardless of how you resolve it.

-Teleport will mostly dump you in random rooms in the orphanage when it fails. There's a couple of unique scenes you can get when this happens.

-Taorimo is just about the worst party member in the game. His damage is abysmal, Akira quickly outpaces him via leveling, and all of the moves he can learn have awkward ranges and positioning requirements. We do have the means to upgrade him later in the chapter, but for now he's essentially just here to soak up hits. Even when fully kitted out with his best equipment, he's still terrible. But hey, he's a robot turtle and our best friend, so he has that going for him.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I can't let this go by without mentioning the theme song and it's full version. Both the English and Japanese versions are sung by Hironobu Kageyama, perhaps most famous for singing the opening of Dragonball Z, among many others.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I'm forever thankful they took this remake as an opportunity to make an actual theme song.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I'm forever thankful they took this remake as an opportunity to make an actual theme song.
Technically the song was already there (otherwise they wouldn't have lyrics on-screen in the SFC version); they just have an official voiced recording of it now. (/nitpick)

Anyway, re: Taroimo: He's a good tank while Akira's still in his squishy early levels, if nothing else; I mean, you saw his Physical Defense stat. You shouldn't underestimate the value of a good decoy. And there's always the utility of the item caddy to fall back on when he loses even that usefulness.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Both the English and Japanese versions are sung by Hironobu Kageyama, perhaps most famous for singing the opening of Dragonball Z, among many others.
Honestly, I remember JAM Project (of which Kageyama is a founding member) more for their work in SRW (and various series that appear therein). Rather appropriate, considering this chapter is based on Super Robot anime (complete with yelling out attack names when you're listening to the Japanese voices).

For Kageyama specifically, I think I first heard him during one of the various Mazinger anime/OVAs, but the only one I can explicitly confirm his involvement in is Mazinkaiser (though to be fair, that was my first exposure to the franchise).

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

I can't let this go by without mentioning the theme song and it's full version. Both the English and Japanese versions are sung by Hironobu Kageyama, perhaps most famous for singing the opening of Dragonball Z, among many others.

i feel as though it is wrong to have an english version of the giant robot fight song

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

i feel as though it is wrong to have an english version of the giant robot fight song
Half that is probably the clearly-Japanese guy Engrish-ing so hard, but I still agree.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Present Day character designer Ryōji Minagawa was the artist of Spriggan (written by Hiroshi Takashige), a series that started in '89 in Weekly Shonen Sunday, before being moved to Shonen Sunday Zokan (a monthly magazine) from '92 to '96

The series followed the adventures of a group of black ops operatives empowered by ancient technology, whose mission was to prevent said ancient technology from falling into the wrong hands.

Later down the line he would be the artist of Project ARMS; it appears he's also been doing video game work as well, serving as the character designer on the game 10,000 Bullets.

Meanwhile Near Future's character designer was Kazuhiko Shimamoto and I'm having a bit of a hard time tracking down exactly what he was working on around the time Live a Live was made. A lot of his stuff doesn't garner a proper wikipedia article (though notably around this time he did the manga adaptation of Kamen Rider ZO) but also he seems to have worked on a ton of stuff.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Bq3gSPt3A

Part 13 is out! Akira straddles the line between Anti-hero and douchebag to kick things off, and then proceeds to go on a spree violent vigilantism, scamming the elderly, and offering prayer to our savior Steel Titan, hallowed be his name.

Extra Notes

-All truth told, once you get Taroimo in your party there's not much reason to not go on a battle frenzy and get to the chapter's level cap of 13. The "final dungeon" is pretty much balanced around doing this, and the items you can get are very helpful. Especially keep an eye out for Napalm Grenades, as valuable things can be done with those.

-Matsu's Taiyaki stand is only open for a very brief period. Once you visit the Steel Titan, that sidequest is blocked off and it prevents you from getting the achievement for selling a taiyaki for 10,000 yen.

-Of the items you can get for giving the kids snacks, the Misanga and the Power Wrist are definitely the most useful for this chapter. Be sure to get those.

-The healing items you can get from Matsu aren't that great on their own merits, as they are strictly self heal. That being said, they can be exchanged for better healing items not long after.

-The old woman customer moves painfully slow in the SFC version. It's kind of funny, but something you dread seeing after the first time it happens.

-Dr. Tobei's refinement system is the dumbest crafting system I've ever seen in a video game. It works very simple, just give him an item and he'll have a chance to morph it into a new, and usually better item. There is at least one thing that downgrades when you give it to him, but for the most part you get stuff that is better. Where it gets silly is that some items can be refined into multiple different things, usually 1 of 3 items chosen at random. There are some important things at the refinement splits, so I'd recommend looking up a chart for the best stuff. Also be aware that sometimes he just randomly fails and you have to try again, though thankfully you don't lose the item if this happens. Do note that there is an end point for item refinement, so if something you give him keeps failing it's likely the best version of that specific you can hope to get. Taeko's punch is one such item.

-Not necessarily the most important thing to do, but Napalm Grenades can be refined into unique accessories that can be equipped on Taroimo to give him new moves. The chain of refinements for this is quite long with several splits, and some of the accessories give flatly superior moves in comparison to others. Thankfully this chart has the full refinement list for this chapter, though be aware it uses AGTP's names for the items.

-On console in the SFC version, this refinement system is close to unusable due to how slow the process is. You have to watch the same cutscene with Dr. Tobei over and over with random failures meaning it can take over a half hour to get everything you want. Frame skip on emulator makes it more tolerable.

-One final thing, when going for the Taroimo accessories, I'd recommend saving before refining so you can stick to getting the items you want.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Watanabe's still talking about the "plan" because you didn't actually finish that sidequest. If you go back in after Taeko catches you, he actually gives you what you were after. Don't know if it's still available once you see the basement robot, though. (written before checking yt comments; didn't see someone beat me to it)

Also, being a creep isn't entirely out of genre; if nothing else, Akira's better than the Getter crew (a bunch of murderous psychopaths who're only the "heroes" by comparison to the omnicidal literal-monsters they fight). Faint praise, admittedly, but he is not the most villainous Super Robot protagonist ever, so he at least has that going for him.

Guessing you're gonna offscreen the other upgrades you want?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Someone did comment on the quest. I keep back up saves when doing LPs so I don't have to redo large chunks of a game if a recording ends up being unusable. Conveniently, this means I can easily wind the clock back to show off things I missed. I'm mostly just messing around with roasting Akira's actions, I realize I'm not supposed to take it too seriously. As for upgrades, I'll note which things I refined into what, but otherwise I'm not going to show directly what I use since it is legitimately really slow and boring even with cutscene skips to do refinement in this chapter.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7swl8-ew_wQ

Part 14 is out! I wind back the clock a little to show off some things I missed, though luckily it wasn't too much. I did a bunch of refining off screen, but I do go over what I had to refine the get the stuff I felt was important. I'll definitely take the opportunity after the Tsukuba building to round up more accessories for Taroimo, but otherwise I've done all the refining I care to. Anything else worthwhile we actually can't refine fight now, and it will be completely irrelevant for the rest of the chapter once we can make it.

Extra Notes

-There is a slight bit of value in making a third Wrestling shirt and some additional Biker's Belts for the Tsukuba building, but it's far from necessary and not worth the time to me personally. I'll go over why when get to the relevant point in the next video.

-There are a bunch of accessories that can be refined, but getting most of them requires getting lucky with the random drops which I just wasn't having any luck with. I didn't feel it was worth it to trade out what I currently had for marginally better equipment only Akira can use. I've had better luck getting Fine Pearls in the SFC version, so I might do a bit of that there since the Biker's Belt is about as useful without the special attack penalty.

-Of the robot attack accessories, the Showa Chick Cannon is the only one I consider must have. It's a huge damage upgrade for Taroimo and it has another use later down the line. The rest of them are of dubious use to Taroimo since a good chunk of them run off his awful Special Attack, but there is a reason to craft them outside of that. Note that in the SFC version, you can only make use of 5 of them past this chapter while the HD version allows you to eventually make use of all of them if you so desire.

-The game finally proved I wasn't crazy, you can indeed get Robotic Enhancements in the HD version without scouring the entire formation. In the SFC version, you have to destroy all the robots before the leader, though as a boon in that regard you seem to always get Robotic Enhancements, sometimes even a chance for two of them!

-I'd highly recommend getting to level 13 before the Tsukuba building to give yourself the easiest time there. The enemies aren't too dangerous, but it's nice to have a good spread of options for taking on the encounters. That chapter is going to rapidly speed to its conclusion now, so you're not going to have much of a chance to get any more levels once the Tsukuba Building is over and done with.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I figure Akira's around 14-15 during the chapter; young enough to be called "kid" (especially by overworked salarymen at what the Japanese call a "black company") while also being old enough to be a credible street punk. Also, teenage protagonists are perfectly in-genre in Super Robot shows.

As for the other orphans... I think the oldest of them is probably like 10.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCSJTye4u1A

Part 15 is out! All things come to a head rather rapidly, as we get answers for questions like why are the Crusader's kidnapping people, what happened to Watanabe's dad, what exactly the relationship between Akira and Matsu is, and is the Steel Titan really that powerful? Apologies if I seem exceptionally scatter brained in this video, I had a hard time finishing my thoughts and ended up repeating myself a couple times.

Extra Notes

-There are a handful of side rooms I passed over in the Tsukuba building that contain items like Grenades, but we already had everything I cared to get in this chapter so I just focused on getting to the end.

-If you have any spare equipment for Matsu when he joins, feel free to gear him up. Obviously anything that brings up his surprisingly low Physical Attack will do good for him. I'd only really call it necessary if you plan to take on the boss at the end of the building in a straight fight. Note that anything that is equipped to Matsu in the SFC version will be lost when he leaves the party, while this isn't a problem in the HD version as Matsu will be unequipped after a point.

-You can take on the W-1 robot in a straight fight if you desire, and he can be a challenge as he hits very hard. The best way to approach him is with a few No. 9 potions and positioning Taroimo to take his hits while Akira and Matsu chip away at him with their best attacks.

-With the accessories gained from fighting security, there is some equipment that you can refine that is good on paper but is wholly irrelevant for the rest of the chapter and just won't be that helpful later in the game. Occult Amulets are the most worthwhile thing you can create at this point, and they will quickly find themselves outclassed when they come back into play.

-It just bears emphasis, the last time you have direct control of Akira before using Telepathy on Matsu, be sure to take Taroimo's accessories in the SFC version and equip them to Akira. At the very least, be sure to grab the Showa Chick Launcher. This is not necessary in the HD version as all secondary party members have their equipment returned to the protagonist's inventory at the chapter's conclusion.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Y'know, it just occurred to me that the various mishaps Akira gets while trying to activate the Steel Titan might just be its equivalent of swatting your alarm clock and saying "five more minutes..." Or maybe it's just complaining about you waking it up without a really good reason.

Anyway, I like to collect all the attack accessories for later, even if the attacks themselves are pretty much trash, just because I'm OCD like that.

...Apparently "too stubborn to give up" means :420::shroom::okpos: in the near future. Who knew?

Also, would you believe that this game predates Evangelion?

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 27, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I don’t know why but I distinctly recall that there was dialogue somewhere in the chapter that revealed Matango is made with byproduct of Liquefacted humans and that’s why it boosted Matsu’s psychokinetic abilities. If anyone knows if that is true and where it is, please let me know because the idea of a main character using soylent green to help save the day is really funny.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...I looked up a script; didn't see any reference to what Matango's made of, but to be fair the script I found wasn't a complete game rip or anything of the sort (for one thing it only had one line from telepathy'ing the Tang tanks). I always assumed it was some kind of weird mushroom, though (partly from the context of him eating it, partly because I grew up playing Secret of Mana).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

This story definitely saw a lot of improvement with the UI helping with capture the event flag problems. But like the

CptWedgie posted:

Anyway, I like to collect all the attack accessories for later, even if the attacks themselves are pretty much trash, just because I'm OCD like that.

yeah, the OCD impulse to mindread everyone and get all that you can really would drag this down anyway.

I wonder if this story, like Red's in SaGa Frontier were early in the dev schedule and then as time went on they had to start taking bigger and bigger knives and axes to the editing room to get the games done in time.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

One thing interesting to note is that while most of the scenarios were written by Takashi Tokita (the game's director), this scenario and prehistory were written by Nobuyuki Inoue, who was the game's battle director and designer (though Tokita did serve as near future's event designer)

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5x1tKKcZs4

Part 16 is out! After a somewhat surreally plotted but very mechanically grounded chapter, Distant Future is basically the exact opposite. This is a more story focused and distinctly character driven chapter that plays far more like a traditional adventure game as opposed to an RPG. Indeed, aside from two instances (one of them being the Captain Square mini game), this chapter features no combat whatsoever. Its rigid structure and dialogue heavy nature doesn't leave much room for to expound upon, but this one is always fun to revisit after awhile and I hope you enjoy the ride too!

Extra Notes

-There's not much to say in terms of mechanics for this chapter so it'll mostly be trivia. Most of the crew have their names derived from characters in science fiction stories, some more obvious than others (See if you can spot all the references!). This is actually something of a running theme in the game, with most of the NPC's in the Wild West chapter having names inspired by or directly taken from characters/actors in the Western genre, or Hong's original name of Sammo. Then of course there's more obvious pastiches like Max Morgan or the historical domain characters featured in the Twilight of Edo chapter.

-There is no reward for completing Captain Square, it's purely there for the fun of it as well as getting insight into the more esoteric situations that can pop up in the game's combat. There is a Steam achievement for playing it, but it literally is just for starting a session of the game. Completing it at the first opportunity to show up Kirk is a fun challenge, but if you're really interested in beating it then it's best to do it later when you gain the ability to save before each stage.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Wrapping up our look into the mangaka involved in the game is Distant Future's illustrator Yumi Tamura, the only woman out of the guest artists. Her main work at the time of Live a Live's development was Basara, serialized in Bessatsu Shōjo Comic from '90-'98.

Basara follows the story of Sasara, whose twin brother was believed to be the hero of prophecy who would free post-apocalyptic Japan from the rule of the tyrannical Golden Emperor and his sons. When the Red King (one of the aforementioned sons) burns Sasara's village down (resulting in her brother dying), she disguises herself as her brother to keep the people hopeful and lead the rebellion. Complicating things further is that when out of disguise at one point she ends up falling for a mysterious man... who unbeknownst to her turns out to be the Red King (who himself is unaware of her being the leader of the rebellion)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I... wouldn't call Distant Future "adventure" genre. More "survival horror" really. (not exactly a spoiler because the chapter summary when you start it literally tells you something's gonna go horribly wrong, and I bet you can guess at least part of what goes wrong just from what we've seen thus far.)

It's not hard to figure out why Darthe (gee, sounds familiar) hates robots, given his career, but I'm pretty sure the game spells it out later, for those of you who're slow on the uptake.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I go with Adventure because 1.) it doesn’t prime people’s expectations for what’s going to happen, 2.) it’s mostly about dialogue and advancing sequence triggers (alongside some light puzzles) for progression, and 3.) it doesn’t have any resource rationing that is typical of Survival type games so that descriptor is a bit of a misnomer. I guess there’s the powerjack when that becomes a thing but that’s realy stretching it.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Adventure games can be and often are horror; the Phantasmagoria series comes to mind immediately as an example most people will know.

This is a case of game genre name often being disconnected from actual themes, where in this case it purely indicates gameplay style vs how in other media it would reflect the thematics of the writing.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I will concede that Adventure on its own is something of a nebulous genre title in the context of video games, in this case I more specifically calling on old point 'n clicks like the aforementioned Phantasmagoria. It's just obviously there's no pointing and clicking in this game, so I just say "adventure game" and figure people who parse these things the same way I do will get what I mean.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNd3N_eL6FI

The video covering Captain Square is out! There is no reward for this mini game, it's purely there for the fun of it. Kind of disappointing, but also actually finishing it can be pretty annoying so I appreciate I don't have to go through it for an ultimate weapon or something.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Like Clockwork posted:

Adventure games can be and often are horror; the Phantasmagoria series comes to mind immediately as an example most people will know.

This is a case of game genre name often being disconnected from actual themes, where in this case it purely indicates gameplay style vs how in other media it would reflect the thematics of the writing.

the "survival" part of survival horror has pretty specific gameplay connotations, but it's also not the only type of horror in video games. rpgmaker horror games were a pretty big thing in japan for a while with games like ao oni, mad father or witch's house, so declaring this chapter horror as a game genre isn't that far-fetched

also man they kinda ruined the lightning title stage in captain square. used to be the tile-shaped enemies and the lightning floor tiles had the same graphic, so half the puzzle was keeping track of enemy positions, and once the arena was covered in damage tiles enemies moving around made for a neat visual effect that made you constantly second-guess yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Neptune also had its difficulty as a level gutted since in the SFC version it’s not immediately obvious which star is the leader.