Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I used to love reading and read all the time, but since around the time of the pandemic I just can't read like I used to be able to. My attention span is screwed from the internet, and hypervigilance and the like and I just read so drat slowly even though there's loads of books I want to read. So I mainly listen to audiobooks which is a bit more manageable, but not everything is on audiobook. I also got an e-reader which helps a bit but my reading chops are still nowhere near what they were. Has anyone else clawed back their reading abilities from being all jacked up like this?? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

You might like Hooked on Phonics

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
If the issue is actively attention, 5 min of meditation provides minor benefits to attention. Pure instrumental music (no voices) miiiight also help with concentration when you read, but YMMV.

That said, visiting an optometrist would be an extremely good idea. Vision issues absolutely make concentrating while reading harder.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Three things which have helped friends increase their reading (as in, number of finished titles per year, or pages per week):

- Carry a book everywhere with you. I do it myself, and with an e-reader that becomes much easier. Got a ten minute wait for the bus? That's a couple of pages you can bash through. Arrived a bit early for your hair appointment? Crack open that book and have a read. It's also a good way to wean yourself off mindless scrolling, if that's an issue.

- Short story collections. A few dozen pages (or less!) and you're done, but the brain still gets the good feelings from Finishing Something, and they're easier to ration out. Plus, anthologies can be a great way of discovering new authors to check out.

- This is me exposing myself as a filthy casual, but: comics and graphic novels. There are pictures! There are words! A story is entering your eyes and brain and you're moving your attention across the page and hey some of them are pretty drat good it turns out!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Yea I think it’s something to do with being out of practice moving the attention across the page steadily rather than darting the eyes about in desperate derangement like when you’re checking articles, news or social media & the like

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Cobra Commander posted:

You might like Hooked on Phonics

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

take a book and go sit on park bench where the sun's glare makes using your phone lovely. oh but would you look at that now you have perfect lighting to read. good luck op

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I used to love reading and read all the time, but since around the time of the pandemic I just can't read like I used to be able to. My attention span is screwed from the internet, and hypervigilance and the like and I just read so drat slowly even though there's loads of books I want to read. So I mainly listen to audiobooks which is a bit more manageable, but not everything is on audiobook. I also got an e-reader which helps a bit but my reading chops are still nowhere near what they were. Has anyone else clawed back their reading abilities from being all jacked up like this?? Any advice greatly appreciated!

funny bully answer: seeketh a magick gem

actual answer: I find I can never read at home. I always have to go a place where I can read like a coffee shop.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Gertrude Perkins posted:

- Carry a book everywhere with you. I do it myself, and with an e-reader that becomes much easier. Got a ten minute wait for the bus? That's a couple of pages you can bash through. Arrived a bit early for your hair appointment? Crack open that book and have a read. It's also a good way to wean yourself off mindless scrolling, if that's an issue.

- Short story collections. A few dozen pages (or less!) and you're done, but the brain still gets the good feelings from Finishing Something, and they're easier to ration out. Plus, anthologies can be a great way of discovering new authors to check out.

I was going to say these two.

Also, audiobooks if you have a long commute, or during walks, etc.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
  • Read things you actively want to read.
  • I've found that if my body tells me to read and I have the time to read, I start reading. No second guessing it.
  • Leave your phone in another room entirely.
  • If you have the time and money to do so, build yourself a reading nook. You can get something mega-comfortable to read in. I went with a rocking chair.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

maybe stick to novellas for awhile too. kafka?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Find things you actively want to read and then read lots of them.

Past that, isolating with no other options helps. Leave the phone at home and go to a park with your book in your pocket.