Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
body problem?
1 body problem
2 body problem
3 body problem
dash rendar
View Results

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

anyone watching the show? I read the first book a few years ago and liked it, then got bored with book 2 very quickly and haven't gone back to it. from what I've seen they've mixed up bits of all three books into the first season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The Three Baden Problem, by Günter Grass

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
It's good, I'm not the biggest fan. The first season felt like it was really rushed and none of the mystery or dread I felt reading the first book was there. An absolute over correction to the plodding Tencent adaption.

If you care about representational arguments there is a certain je nais se qua about adapting a Chinese book set in China by making the heroic and good protagonists Western and keeping all of the book's villains and traitors as Chinese.

Edit) The show does do spectacle well. I thought the VR and nanowire scenes were very well done.

Yadoppsi fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 3, 2024

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Im just waiting to see if theyll adapt the really crazy poo poo in the later books but most likely it will get cancelled as per netflix tradition

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I heard it was weirdly religious? Which is funny considering the source.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I watched it. I thought the Panama canal scene was ridiculous and unnecessary, cartoonishly gruesome for something taking itself so seriously. I think it suffers badly from the mid-series episode navel gazing, dialog-only plot advancement, and skipping out on cgi. I do appreciate that their overcomplicated plan went askew. And I like the idea of the boss being haunted by malevolent protons for the next 400 years

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

It's bad enough having a boss who doesn't know how to use email. Imagine a boss hundreds of years behind modern technology, only does actual work 1 week every 10 years, refuses to tell anyone their actual business plan, and who's brain is slowly turning to cottage cheese from repeatedly freezing and thawing themself.

This series has a lot in common with Ayn Rand and other terrible sci-fi writers in the idea that there are a handful of Great Men who are the only ones that can make the very intelligent and necessary decisions to save humanity, and therefore should have total unquestioned power over everyone and have the right to live effectively forever (and their own harem if they want to). It would not take much to adapt this into the next Bioshock game. Like, maybe the aliens really are just a cult run by the global elite who invented some supertech. Call me, game developers, I have really good and important game ideas that will save the industry.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Buttchocks posted:

It's bad enough having a boss who doesn't know how to use email. Imagine a boss hundreds of years behind modern technology, only does actual work 1 week every 10 years, refuses to tell anyone their actual business plan, and who's brain is slowly turning to cottage cheese from repeatedly freezing and thawing themself.

This series has a lot in common with Ayn Rand and other terrible sci-fi writers in the idea that there are a handful of Great Men who are the only ones that can make the very intelligent and necessary decisions to save humanity, and therefore should have total unquestioned power over everyone and have the right to live effectively forever (and their own harem if they want to). It would not take much to adapt this into the next Bioshock game. Like, maybe the aliens really are just a cult run by the global elite who invented some supertech. Call me, game developers, I have really good and important game ideas that will save the industry.

Add in the whole Dark Forest thing boiling down to “the entire universe is zero sum and the only rational decision everyone will make is to get the other before they get you” and I got enough right winger vibes to nope out of bothering with the series. Kind of a ludicrous notion; you’re not going to get a civilization without evolving cooperative strategies with each other at varying levels of trust, so being capable of working out a way to coexist with alien life should not be an impossible stretch to do for any species worth worrying about. Add in the one thing that would light you up in the Dark Forest is committing genocide (and making yourself an obvious threat to eliminate) and the great difficulty in making sure you get all of your targets without space magic BS, and I don’t think all the aliens are out there clutching their superguns tight in hopes of killing somebody who has the audacity to say hello (although boy that’s another right wing thing there…).

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

MadDogMike posted:

Add in the whole Dark Forest thing boiling down to “the entire universe is zero sum and the only rational decision everyone will make is to get the other before they get you” and I got enough right winger vibes to nope out of bothering with the series. Kind of a ludicrous notion; you’re not going to get a civilization without evolving cooperative strategies with each other at varying levels of trust, so being capable of working out a way to coexist with alien life should not be an impossible stretch to do for any species worth worrying about. Add in the one thing that would light you up in the Dark Forest is committing genocide (and making yourself an obvious threat to eliminate) and the great difficulty in making sure you get all of your targets without space magic BS, and I don’t think all the aliens are out there clutching their superguns tight in hopes of killing somebody who has the audacity to say hello (although boy that’s another right wing thing there…).

sci fi nerds have game theory poisoning. game theory as we know it was invented by the nutcase from A Beautiful Mind, and only works to predict human behavior if everyone acts like a complete nutcase as well. like every time there's been a documented real life example of the prisoner's dilemma, they don't betray each other like the game would seem to suggest they should. because theres no real situation that is devoid of context, which alters the rules of the game, and peoples differing perceptions of the context change the game they're playing.

nobody is ever playing the same game according to the same rules so game theory and the notion of a zero sum game don't make any loving sense.

The Killing Star by charles pellegrino and george zubrowski did the whole 'unavoidable relativistic genocide out of fear' setup way better in 1995, and there it turned out that the aliens who genocided us mistook our sci-fi media as some kind of propaganda threats against the rest of the universe and wanted to protect other life from us, not genocide it all

and even then it turns out to be a pretty bad idea for them, because its really hard to get rid of a spacefaring species. i think that's why the three body problem needed the dimension weapons, because otherwise the size of the universe + speed of light limit just makes it too hard to root out and destroy every single little outpost and colony ship. the same weapon also kinda makes every single use of it into suicide for the user, which could be a clumsy aesop but i read it translated so idk if the original was more subtle

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

sci fi nerds have game theory poisoning. game theory as we know it was invented by the nutcase from A Beautiful Mind, and only works to predict human behavior if everyone acts like a complete nutcase as well. like every time there's been a documented real life example of the prisoner's dilemma, they don't betray each other like the game would seem to suggest they should. because theres no real situation that is devoid of context, which alters the rules of the game, and peoples differing perceptions of the context change the game they're playing.

nobody is ever playing the same game according to the same rules so game theory and the notion of a zero sum game don't make any loving sense.

The Killing Star by charles pellegrino and george zubrowski did the whole 'unavoidable relativistic genocide out of fear' setup way better in 1995, and there it turned out that the aliens who genocided us mistook our sci-fi media as some kind of propaganda threats against the rest of the universe and wanted to protect other life from us, not genocide it all

and even then it turns out to be a pretty bad idea for them, because its really hard to get rid of a spacefaring species. i think that's why the three body problem needed the dimension weapons, because otherwise the size of the universe + speed of light limit just makes it too hard to root out and destroy every single little outpost and colony ship. the same weapon also kinda makes every single use of it into suicide for the user, which could be a clumsy aesop but i read it translated so idk if the original was more subtle

It is a context-less game though, you don't know anything about the alien society except that they exist, and you can't know anything about their biology, society or psychology except for the messages they emit, and these can't be trusted due to lack of knowledge about the sender. Due to interstellar differences and technological acceleration, waiting hundreds of years to investigate or attempt to communicate with the aliens may only serve to reveal yourself to a potentially hostile neighbor, and the time scale of galactic travel/communication gives this potential hostile the potential ability to leapfrog your own technological ability.

Haven't seen the show, but the books are some of my favorites.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Imagine if the forums worked that way.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

dumby posted:

It is a context-less game though, you don't know anything about the alien society except that they exist, and you can't know anything about their biology, society or psychology except for the messages they emit, and these can't be trusted due to lack of knowledge about the sender. Due to interstellar differences and technological acceleration, waiting hundreds of years to investigate or attempt to communicate with the aliens may only serve to reveal yourself to a potentially hostile neighbor, and the time scale of galactic travel/communication gives this potential hostile the potential ability to leapfrog your own technological ability.

there's always a context for the game even if the opponent is unknown. the desireability of any outcome and where exactly the balance lies for decisions is wildly different between human beings, never mind any possible other species. a zero sum game for one person is a positive sum game for another, and a negative sum game for a third. our own neurology is context for the games we play, so is our past and our hypothetical future.

the idea that the entire universe would fall in line with this absurdly wasteful dark forest game is just as 'unrealistic' as the idea that everyone in the universe would spontaneously decide to get along. blowing up solar systems and collapsing dimensions is explicitly against your species own long term interest, as is marking yourself for destruction by destroying someone else. the entire thing also relies on species remaining in conveniently alpha-strikeable bunches instead of scattering into the void. because in that second case striking their system would just create a dedicated revenge force that you'll never chase down thanks to the delay in information propagation.

unless you use a literally inescapable dimension collapsing weapon, which will also kill you too sooner rather than later. whereas if you'd just done nothing you'd have been fine. its a very human interpretation of what is 'the logic of survival'. real predators in nature are extremely cautious and weigh up the cost in calories and injury before doing anything, whereas dark forest logic would indicate the logical course would be for a mountain lion to immediately kill anything it sees. but the mountain lion knows instinctively that sustaining an injury in a fight it doesnt need to have means death a year down the road. humanity's belligerence is a form of conspicuous consumption; we're rich enough that we can take the hit in time and effort to be pointlessly cruel.

but the dark forest posits that everything in space operates on the cold logic of survival, so such waste would be illogical.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

It also ignores the mathematical inevitability of Space Hobbits, only a few of which would be sufficient to derail thousands of years of planning and effort by a civilization, thus making any galactic conflicts that much more challenging.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Buttchocks posted:

Imagine if the forums worked that way.

Lurkers are just bidding their time, getting ready to destroy us.

We should probably destroy them first, but you know, too much effort

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
I just wanted the trisolarans to be the ones from futurama

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All I know is there was a murder associated with the show, although it was apparently because of a whole business rivalry between business people.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/03/china/billionaire-three-body-problem-netflix-intl-hnk/index.html

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

[full season] When Ye and Evans were talking in real time with the aliens, were they actually talking to the sophons which had arrived at Earth by then? Or were they communicating with the actual aliens faster than light?

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

El Jeffe posted:

[full season] When Ye and Evans were talking in real time with the aliens, were they actually talking to the sophons which had arrived at Earth by then? Or were they communicating with the actual aliens faster than light?

In the books the sophons are paired or entangled or something, so they can communicate real-time with the aliens in the fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

dumby posted:

Again though, humans can be very outside context to each other (or at least enough you always have the risk of getting killed by a stranger) and we've worked out strategies to interact with each other in ways where the risks are reduced enough to be worth it, pretty much since the pre-dawn of civilization (even if only in a "we belong to an in-group that will respond with violence against any out-group that kills one of us" at first). Arguably we did it before we even got to being intelligent; in fact, given how many of the most intelligent creatures on Earth tend to be very social, being social animals might be a prerequisite for developing a path to sapience. No matter what other outside context things an alien species might have, I think it's very likely that "they've worked out how to communicate/interact with each other" is a pretty universal constant. If nothing else it's probably a universal constant for any creature capable of being a threat; if you had an intelligence so given to solipsism that it can't communicate, why would it even be able to recognize your presence in the universe as some kind of threat? It probably wouldn't be able to conceive of you at all; no reason to develop theory of mind, we're just another oddity like pulsars or something. And, if you've developed enough communication and ways to interact with yourselves safely, you've already developed tools that can be applied to the problem of potentially hostile alien strangers to get better/safer options beyond "KILL THEM NOW!!!" for your interaction. So I don't think "we can't possibly conceive of them" really works overall just based on the bare minimum traits required to be a spacefaring species that could be a threat; if nothing else, you could probably work out a "do/don't do these things to avoid conflict" approach to practically any other sapience even if true communication was somehow impossible.

Buttchocks posted:

It also ignores the mathematical inevitability of Space Hobbits, only a few of which would be sufficient to derail thousands of years of planning and effort by a civilization, thus making any galactic conflicts that much more challenging.

The wild outside context problem of Second Breakfast!