Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Problem description: I built a new computer back in December. A day or two into the new build I noticed a random issue where slowly my computer will start to sound choppy making buzzing sounds through my headphones as the mouse gets slower and slower until it's unusable. The sound will get choppier and buzzier as well. This happens randomly and I can't troubleshoot what the issue is. I've looked at my FPS in game (LoL) and it doesn't get lower when this happens. I've downloaded a temperature monitor and my CPU is well within normal levels. I've gone days without it happening, and sometimes it happens repeatedly after reboots. Typically if I just restart my computer it fixes it. But sometimes, if I restart too quickly it will happen again and I have to leave it off for 15 seconds before restarting. It can also happen right when I turn my computer on. Seemingly no rhyme or reason as to when it happens and when I try searching about it online "random buzzing and slowing down" doesn't really help much.

Attempted fixes: Made sure all the wiring seems secure, checked computer temperatures.

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: Windows 11

System specs: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 Ghz 8-Core Processor

Thermalright Peerless Assassin CPU Cooler

AS Rock B650 RIPTIDE Wifi Micro

Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB 2x16

Lexar NM710 2TB

EVGA RTX 2060 6 GB

Gigabyte UD750GM 750 W

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W11 is fully updated.

I'd also make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS. It looks like there are three riptide motherboards listed on this site: https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=BIOS

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Thanks, windows is already updated and I've now updated my BIOS to the latest version. If I don't report back, consider the problem fixed!

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
So unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. It's still occurring. It happened while playing League of Legends, my computer slowed to the point of it being unplayable, but it was still showing 200 frames per second while it was happening. My ping was fine too. Mouse became choppy, sound slowed, etc.

Please if anyone has any ideas let me know. It's so frustrating as it's random!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

When the issue happens next I'd run https://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe and see if it finds anything.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Reseat your ram, try games

Remove one ram stick, try games

Swap to the other stick, games

Remove any and all storage that's not the main ssd, try games

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Alizee posted:

So unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. It's still occurring. It happened while playing League of Legends, my computer slowed to the point of it being unplayable, but it was still showing 200 frames per second while it was happening. My ping was fine too. Mouse became choppy, sound slowed, etc.

Please if anyone has any ideas let me know. It's so frustrating as it's random!

XP used to do this poo poo with bad or failing hard drives. Zogo usually tells folks to do HD Sentinel, sure. Also I'd try crystal disk speed tests, and I'd also keep open a way to check disk throughput when it's bogging. You may have a fake or absolutely trash ssd cache chip and when writing to it your system has to wait until it responds

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Zogo posted:

When the issue happens next I'd run https://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe and see if it finds anything.

Ran it 3 different times.

The worst one is while it's super laggy to the point that I had to restart my computer. Other two were while my computer seemed fine. Sorry I took photos of two of them lol...

Don't know what any of that means though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd remove the GPU temporarily and see if that makes any difference.

Also, the stuff that down1nit mentioned. This is for checking drive health: https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php

Do you have any extra things attached to the machine like a WLAN card? Things like that are a big culprit for this type of issue.

Since this issue was happening from the beginning of the build you may want to exchange some hardware if you get tired of troubleshooting.